PDA

View Full Version : starting over

shane mapes
12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
just wanted to get you guys to give me an opinion on something... i;ve been in bus. for a few years . last year i closed up shop , because my other full time graveyard shift job picked up a lot of bus. we were working 16 hours a day 7 days a week . no time to do anything..my workers let our quality go down a bit so i did what i had to do... i closed up shop .. this year i decided to start back up.. i started with a bus. partner and did the whole lawyer thing and got all the lic. insurance and all that.. we have a part time guy 15 hours a week... we pay him through a payroll system and taxes are taking out the whole nine yards.. my bus. partner wants to pay him under the table and i have said no way .something happens he can't claim workmen's comp. or anything.. it seems like a good way to be sued.. he wants to do this in Jan. he claims we don't make enough to show an employee. i agree we don't make a lot . but i feel if we have a worker it will be 100% legal. i'm telling him on Monday that if he feels we can't due it legal then we [he and i ] will have to do it without him.. is this to harsh? i just can't see losing all that we have worked for for something that is illegal....

bbahun
12-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree. Keep it on the up and up. It is harder to make money in the short term but in the long term it is the right thing to do. It also sends the wrong message to your employee because he now knows that making money is more important than integrity, honesty, and that making money is more important than his well being if he should get hurt. I am not a big fan of paying taxes by any means but the way you change the system is through elections, not by going around it. You could pay him as a sub contractor and that would be legal but it would only benefit you guys and not your employee. Thats my two cents

Jay Ray
12-16-2007, 02:47 PM
You can lose more than all you guys have worked for. You can lose what your wives have been working for too. When the court determines the sum owed, it don't matter where it comes from.

lifetree
12-16-2007, 03:38 PM
... i'm telling him on Monday that if he feels we can't due it legal then we [he and i ] will have to do it without him .. is this to harsh ? ...

It's not too harsh, it's too sensible ... that's why you're partner doesn't understand it !!

iseegreen
12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you need to get rid of your business partner not your employee.

ed2hess
12-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Did you partner expain WHY he wants to pay him under the table?

topsites
12-16-2007, 04:17 PM
My take on it is you should tell all those fanfarkers to take a hike and go solo and make all the money yourself, that's what I would do and would've done already.

We just had this out in another thread, could've saved us a typing out of a repeat why but it doesn't matter anyhow so here is the conclusion:

If you're willing to break the law, what kind of employees will this attract?
I believe you will lose out on the exact kind of employee you're actually looking for.
Do it right and it's bad enough you already have to weed out 9 out of 10 for starters, which I assume you know about this.

In turn I honestly believe it will also affect the quality of your customers, these I also weed slice and dice at least 9 out of 10, I can only imagine the hordes if I even thought of doing anything except by a highly strict policy involving nothing but pure honesty and integrity, really what it boils down to is we just don't break the rules and there's NO exception, see what I'm saying.

Because next thing you know you got so much dishonesty or at the very least weak willed integrity and flighty loyalty running around that no matter what you do, you lose. That's what always happens with the run of the mill garbage.

I'm not saying you have to be perfect, I'm not, nobody is.
Now you have to decide, but I'd hike it solo, sure would.

Good point, excellent point.

On this note, what does this say about his integrity?
Yeah, your partners.

Real simple: You need a good 5 years under your belt running solo before deciding to take on anyone.
At least 4.

shane mapes
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM

yea he feels that we should show less man hours and hide hes wage in fuel costs and repairs... to wrong for me...