PDA

View Full Version : If you won $1 million dollars,

kreft
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
What would you buy for your company if you won 1 mil.
I would buy a

Peterbilt dumptruck W/ Eager-Beaver Trailer

Mack lowboy

Chevy 3500HD With all the fixins'

Cat 297C with attachments

Cat 308 CR with Attachments

Cat 953C with bucket and root grapple

Cat D5 LGP

Cat 416D

What would you guys buy?

MudslinginFX4
12-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd invest the money and take an early retirement. In the mean time, I'd keep working while the money was growing in investments. If I had to use the money just for the business, I'd build a new building much bigger then I need, let the business pay for it, and rent out 2/3 of it. I'd keep the building and sell it when I do get ready to retire.

mowing grass 1111
12-16-2007, 11:32 AM
i would close up shop .. i can think of plenty of other things to do with a million that would give me a better return on the money rather than cut grass or landscaping

kreft
12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Yea, well i'm still young and just starting out in the buisness, and wan't some nice toys to make work more pleasurable:)

bobcat_ron
12-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Tell Ma & Pa they've got a new landlord now! http://www.p1x44r.com/smiles/finger.gif

YellowDogSVC
12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd close shop as well and then buy and fix up land for sale on my own schedule and terms.

Fieldman12
12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I would invest at least half the money in more land. The other half I would buy run down house on say 2 to 5 acre lots that have been repossessed. I would knock down the house and then sell the lot at a much higher price. I have been looking into this lately. The money generated would buy more farm equipment and construction equipment a little at a time. I guess really I would not change much other than quit my day job as a tech. I love farming and construction work. I would be lost without it. Oh, I would have an Unlimited Super stock, or Super stock Diesel tractor. A good bit of the people I hang with have them.

ksss
12-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Lets assume that the mil was given to you by a "money guy" to invest in you business. What would you do then?

I would hire a high powered estimator and steal a couple of the best hands in the area.

I would make a couple purchases

newer Dump truck

tractor/lowboy

maybe a 3 yard loader

Once the work started coming in gauge my purchases from there.

The rest of the money would sit in reserve.

RockSet N' Grade
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Sheesh Ksss!!!.........that is so practical, prudent and wise. I'd probably just sit in my office chair and giggle, chuckle.......and then when reality set in........wait forget reality for a moment! I'd hire the finest lookin' secretary money could buy ( for about a week ).......

Gravel Rat
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Buy a house and put the rest away in investment savings and resist the urge to quit my job :laugh:

Fieldman12
12-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm one of those guys that always has to have an Ace in the whole so to speak meaning I have to have money somewhere if not in land in the bank. The stock market right now is a POS so don't think I will park much if any there. The AG stocks are going through the roof though. You know the old saying buy on rumor and sale on the facts. The equipment I would buy a small dozer D4, or D5 size, a mini excavator, and a CTL of some sort. I would also get a dump truck and trailer. Most of the money would stay as backup at least half. Some guys think it is less stressful to have all the toys. I say it is less stressful to have what you need and some cash if it goes south.

Plant Buyer 83
12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
As Lex Luthor says in Superman

Land-it's the one thing they're not making any more of.

NBI Lawn
12-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I'd invest the money and take an early retirement. In the mean time, I'd keep working while the money was growing in investments. If I had to use the money just for the business, I'd build a new building much bigger then I need, let the business pay for it, and rent out 2/3 of it. I'd keep the building and sell it when I do get ready to retire.

X2, That would be the best thing to do. Really $1 million isnt that much money now a days, unfortunate but true. Heck if you could retire on a million I would have by now. I'm sure that goes for many people.

tthomass
12-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Give 1/2 of it to Uncle Sam at the end of the year :(

Gravel Rat
12-16-2007, 04:40 PM
A million dollars nowwadays is pocket change to some people definatly not me :cry:

You wouldn't beable to retire on a million dollars but it could pay off all your debt and put the rest away.

Like I said I would buy a house which I can't afford on my measly gov't wages.

RockSet N' Grade
12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
I offered up a smart azz remark on the first go round, but have given this a little thought......I would follow Ksss general plan but would add this. You see, it doesn't matter whether it is $100 or $1,000,000......money is a tool and learning how to use this tool wisely is not taught in schools. Adopt a mentor who has made money and do what they do, read a book on the Rockefellers and see how Rockefeller Senior made each of his children account once a week for every penny they spent.......adopt his theories and make them your own. Pursue "active" income through your business and pursue "passive" income to create residual income whereby your money makes money for you.........compound interest is a very powerful tool that when treated correctly can make you rich off a teachers salary. Set a plan in motion and carry it through, do not listen to nay-sayers........Learn to use the tool of money wisely and if you don't know how-------learn--------

Construct'O
12-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I offered up a smart azz remark on the first go round, but have given this a little thought......I would follow Ksss general plan but would add this. You see, it doesn't matter whether it is $100 or $1,000,000......money is a tool and learning how to use this tool wisely is not taught in schools. Adopt a mentor who has made money and do what they do, read a book on the Rockefellers and see how Rockefeller Senior made each of his children account once a week for every penny they spent.......adopt his theories and make them your own. Pursue "active" income through your business and pursue "passive" income to create residual income whereby your money makes money for you.........compound interest is a very powerful tool that when treated correctly can make you rich off a teachers salary. Set a plan in motion and carry it through, do not listen to nay-sayers........Learn to use the tool of money wisely and if you don't know how-------learn--------

Well !!!!!! Rock you already lost your million,your wife was looking over your shoulder when you typed that first post!!!! :cry:

I think buying some equipment would be good idea.Help offset the tax hit at the end of the year.Deprecation of equipment,plus added expenses that they would have for the business to deduct.

For me i'm happy with what i have,it's like everything if you had a million given to you,we would want 2 and it goes on and on,never a end. I need! I need!:confused:

Like said a million today doesn't go far.The list that some posted ate the first million.:usflag:

AintNoFun
12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
well thats not completly true.. you see the arabs in dubai building those islands?

As Lex Luthor says in Superman

Land-it's the one thing they're not making any more of.

RockSet N' Grade
12-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Nah Constructo.......this is Utah! We can have multiple wives here. Both my better half and I joke about it all the time. We want a wife named Zelda.......she'd be about 6' 6", tough as nails.......stack hay, keep the horses fed and pens cleaned, do all the house chores and yard chores so us older folks could have some free time together other than chore time.

I had to think about that $$ question a bit because being handed any amount of money is not the answer and that question always cracks me up........but the question behind the question is what interests me most.........

Ooopsss, starting to show a serious side and I promised myself I wouldn't do that or let anyone know that those thoughts even passed through this little mind of mine :)

Fieldman12
12-16-2007, 06:14 PM
A million does not go very far these days at all. I enjoy getting out on a piece of equipment but I'm also getting that age where I want to use my head more to make money for me. Fortunately I have been lucky and did that most of my life. A guy has to realize it is allot of work to keep say a million dollars. Uncle Sam is always wanting his fair share and a million could be blown over night. Heck I could make a few phone calls right now and blow that much if I wanted too. Thats I guess a big thing. Everyone wants to be rich but no one seems to realize it's a bunch of work to maintain it.

ksss
12-16-2007, 06:28 PM
A million to a small operation like mine would go quite a ways.

kreft
12-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Goes pretty far when you buy stuff at the dollar store!

Fieldman12
12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
It is still something to be proud of but is not near as highly valued as it once was especially when buying land.

Gravel Rat
12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
The average house price in Vancouver/Lowermainland of B.C. is 500,000 and for that your not getting much. Houses in the East Side of Vancouver which is skid row with hookers wondering the streets and people shooting up (drugs) in the back alleys. Where my grandparents once lived for 40 years you couldn't walk the streets at night. Home invasions and other crimes the area today is the same as it was 5 years ago when they went into a old age home.

Anyhow talking with a truck driver he said he started saving for his retirement back when he was 20 got a job at 19 worked for 30 years thought he could retire. Said that wasn't happening his savings were dissapearing quickly. He had to go back to work. I know many that retired early and are finding it tough to live off of retirement savings.

If I had 1 million dollars I probably would quit the gov't job and go back to working for a excavation contractor. The first thing would be tell nobody that you have 1 mil in the bank or you have everybody suddenly becoming your friend. Most likely buy a gravel truck and run it aslong as the truck makes some money and pays for itself it will give me something to do :laugh:

cpel2004
12-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I would buy some income producing property it must have a positive cash flow then I would but tax liens from the county. Its been mentioned before but a million aint what it used to be. I would buy several small mom and pop business.

Gravel Rat
12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Drug stores and business that deal with old people will be the big supply and demand.

Places on Vancouver island there are more drug stores popping up to supply prescription drugs to senior citizens.

The worst thing to buy is a restaurant it is getting tougher and tougher to make a profit. Know a few restaurant owners that spend alot of hours working.

Fieldman12
12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Rockset N Grade makes a good point. It is not how much you have but what you do with it. A person really has to be a good manager especially in these days and times. There is so much out there anymore that a person can blow there money on. I have to say also research, research and more research what ever you do before you get into it. Business adventures can clean you out quick if you make the wrong ones. Land and real estate can do it to ya too if your not careful. I work with so many people older than me that has no type of retirement at all saved up. Im talking 50 and 60 year old people. That would scare me to death if I was that age.

cpel2004
12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
The restaurant business hasn't changed in the last 20 years its always been a time involved challenge. Unless that is what you are born to do and you have in your blood I would definitely stay away from that business 16-18 hours days are very common for mom and pops. Now I see more and more restaurants that only serve breakfast and lunch or just dinner, that would be the way to go. If a restaurant isn't ran properly than you kiss your millions good by in no time. I have a buddy who helps his dad manage their family owned restaurant and he's always there.

Construct'O
12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Rockset N Grade makes a good point. It is not how much you have but what you do with it. A person really has to be a good manager especially in these days and times. There is so much out there anymore that a person can blow there money on. I have to say also research, research and more research what ever you do before you get into it. Business adventures can clean you out quick if you make the wrong ones. Land and real estate can do it to ya too if your not careful. I work with so many people older than me that has no type of retirement at all saved up. Im talking 50 and 60 year old people. That would scare me to death if I was that age.

If that scares you you might want to consider how healthly you are by the time you get 60 plus years old.Thats if you make it there.

It just take one bad health problem or accident and you can kiss the million goodbye like that.

Might want to go buy the best insurance you can find with some of that million.

Then there are people who would gladly give that million away to just be able to walk,talk or see again!!!!!

Better think about how to improve your health so your be around to spend that million.I know ! thats not what the question was meant to be for,but something we need to think about just the same.:usflag:

cpel2004
12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately this war isn't helping the value of our dollar, most people don't understand how this effect their daily lives. I was against it from the start and I still am. It wont effect Bush or his cabinet members or their friends, but for the avg American it is very costly. He will be long gone from the White House and we will still be paying for his poor decisions.

Fieldman your right, research, research and more accurate research is the key and then having the ability to make good sense out of the research is very important. Bush didn't do this one basic intial step before begining this meaningless war. We spend an estimated 720 million a day, for what?

Having power and money requires you to be a very good manager, and our President definitely lacks these two important skill sets. Bush reminds me of the rich kid who's a bully, everything was given to him, his bark is very loud he intimidates most people with his mouth but when it comes down to a fist fight he's the first to start it and the ultimately the first to run from it. This man had never been challenged because life has been so easy for him. So instead of trying to find other reasonable solutions his first thought is thru intimidation and rhetoric. Well this time Daddy cant help him and he's costing us and our kids billions, not to mention the many lives that have been lost.

Look at his personal finances, many times Daddy or Daddy's friends helped bail him out of his poor financial decisions. I still cant believe Al Gore allowed this moron to steal the election.

Imagine this, what if Bush had been the President in the Cuban Missile Crisis... many of us wouldn't be here.

ksss
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Certainly political views really don't belong on this portion of this site. There are plenty of sites on the web to discuss your liberal "issues".

SiteSolutions
12-16-2007, 11:08 PM
1. Pay off debt (~250k)
2. Buy 20-40 acres (100k)
3. sock a bunch in some stable investments (400k)
4. New Mini Ex (50k)
5. F-750 and trailer that can tote two machines (90k)
6. Nice diamond ring for the wife (5k)
7. Start building new house on part of new land (50k)
8. Operating Capital ("Beer"):drinkup:

corey4671
12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
keep living the same way I do. money would go into mutual funds. only differnece..I'd still go to work everyday, but I'd try my dangedest to pi$$ my boss off everyday in an effort to get him to fire me. What've I got to lose? Take this job and shove it!!!

Scag48
12-17-2007, 01:03 AM
I'd take half of it and buy land with it. Business wise, I could stretch the other half very easily.

Slightly used Ford F550 flatbed to service equipment $30K
Used Pete 379 $80K
Trailmax TRD52 tag trailer $20K
Takeuchi TB53FR $60K
Cat 312CL $100K
Cat D5N $120K

Fieldman12
12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Construct'O, you are correct health is an important factor. I have already though of that one as I have both high blood pressure and cholesterol that I have inherited from my dad's side of the family. On a good note my dad's side of the family seems to live a very long life.

qps
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
A million to a small operation like mine would go quite a ways.

I would sell everything and move to rigby:weightlifter:

mrusk
12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I sure as heck wouldn't buy equipment!

ksss
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
I would sell everything and move to rigby:weightlifter:

Come on up Tim (you could even bring your CAT stuff, 'course some guys might ask you what is a "CAT" but hey its Idaho).... the water is fiiiine.:cool2:

qps
12-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Come on up Tim (you could even bring your CAT stuff, 'course some guys might ask you what is a "CAT" but hey its Idaho).... the water is fiiiine.:cool2:

:laugh:...I do have the CASE pattern changer now.

qps
12-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Certainly political views really don't belong on this portion of this site. There are plenty of sites on the web to discuss your liberal "issues".

Yeah..Hillary...you on the wrong site....:laugh:

SouthernLandworks
12-18-2007, 06:09 PM
I'd buy pretty much what you would kreft but I'd change a few.

Kenworth T-800 Tri-axle dump with a ISM Cummins

Peterbilt 379EXHD Tri-axle Daycab with ISX Cummins w/Talbert 50 Ton lowboy

Ford F-750 Service Truck

Cat D6N XL

Cat 325DL

Cat 12H VHP

This is more than a million but its still my wish list.

cantoo
12-19-2007, 07:43 PM
I would give half to my wife to look after herself and the kids. She runs the business anyway so that would keep her running and happy.
The other half I would take my passport, a good friend and head to an Island to live out our lives in luxury. There are many really nice places where 500 g's would let you live however you want. Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and lots of other warm places. I spend some time in Japan and the prices aren't that bad in rural areas. I could start a building company and teach them how to build 2x4 houses.

kreft
12-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Ok, let me change the question, if you had someone give you a million dollars, and they told you that you could only spend that money on equipment what would you buy? basically, whats on your holiday wish list?

RockSet N' Grade
12-21-2007, 12:22 AM
I am pretty well set up for what I do. I just purchased an Amulet tilt bucket and Amulet "hoe mate" for my excavator. I just purchased a new stick and am looking at replacing my direct link thumb with a progressive link thumb.Those have been on my wish list and I have planned for these purchases for the last two years. I guess I would maybe buy a breaker or rock drill.......that's about if for me. I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money without re-doing my entire business plan.......I am on track for what I want to do and accomplish with my "niche" type service. At this point, I would take the rest of the money and put it to work creating more passive income.

YellowDogSVC
12-21-2007, 04:52 PM
I would get a blade runner and a bandit beast recycler and a T320 or something better when it comes out and still retire and play on my own place even if I had to offer free grinding to the neighbors.