PDA

View Full Version : Echo 603

WALKER LANDSCAPE
12-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok here it is to all you mechanicly inclined, I have and echo 603 It runs good (After I get it started) then after about a 1/2 hour it stalls out and dies. Someone "Tried" to adjust a the carb. What do you guys think could be wrong or I need to do to fix it. Thanks in advance.:waving:

lucforce
12-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Time for a carburetor kit, fuel lines, and a new tank grommet. (And/or new fuel)

WALKER LANDSCAPE
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
I should change out the in tank filter as well. Does the groumet help? Is it the presure sealed in the tank? I dont know that is why I ask. We just break them. LOL Thanks:waving:

Breezmister
12-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok here it is to all you mechanicly inclined, I have and echo 603 It runs good (After I get it started) then after about a 1/2 hour it stalls out and dies. Someone "Tried" to adjust a the carb. What do you guys think could be wrong or I need to do to fix it. Thanks in advance.:waving:

There are a couple of things to check. Start it up and let it run until it stops, put your ear next to the fuel cap and slowly open it. If you hear a hiss, replace the fuel cap, it's not venting the tank unless you have a vent on the tank, then replace the vent.
If you know how to check for spark, check the plug, no spark, replace the plug with one you know works or a new one and check again. Still no spark, then replace the coil.
Check the fuel filter to see if it's dirty, but I don't think that is your problem, I would lean towards the plug/ coil. But I've been wrong before :rolleyes:

WALKER LANDSCAPE
12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
BREEZE
So you might think it is the coil? I will check those others (Fuel cap and filter) as well. The coil could be getting hot this BP has some years on it. Plus last year it kinda get back over a bit by the F250. It wasn't bad thou.:hammerhead:

Breezmister
12-16-2007, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=WALKER LANDSCAPE;2066558]BREEZE
So you might think it is the coil? I will check those others (Fuel cap and filter) as well. The coil could be getting hot this BP has some years on it[QUOTE]

Yea, more then likely it is the coil, but you can not rule the other things out unless you check for them. A non vented fuel cap replacement for a vented one can cause the same problem of the engine dying. Guys will lose a cap and replace it with what ever they have handy and not see a problem until they are doing more then just a little sidewalk and driveway on a home.

lucforce
12-16-2007, 08:50 PM
I lean towards the fuel problem as it sounds like it is difficult to start cold and then shuts off after a few minutes. Usually will a failing coil the machine wil not have cold starting difficulty.

Breezmister
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I lean towards the fuel problem as it sounds like it is difficult to start cold and then shuts off after a few minutes. Usually will a failing coil the machine wil not have cold starting difficulty.

Could very well be, but considering that this is an older unit, that could be an indicator of compression going away as well. You have to look at the whole picture and do the little checks before you start taking things apart.
The fact that it runs good after it is started leads me to think that it's not a carb problem, a dirty fuel filter would starve the engine in a few minutes.
This is my best guess with out having the unit in front of me ;)

WALKER LANDSCAPE
12-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys:waving: It does run well for about a half hour then starts to bog and finally die off. They guys said they have been using starting fluid to get going. :hammerhead: Not evertime thou.