PDA

View Full Version : grapple buckets are they that great

docholiday
12-16-2007, 07:47 PM
looking for input on grapple buckets. i have some tree work, land clearing work coming up and have never used one.

cat2
12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
looking for input on grapple buckets. i have some tree work, land clearing work coming up and have never used one.

For tree work it is a "must have"

ksss
12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments/saber_tine/index.cfm

http://www.virnigmfg.com/Pages/Products/scrap_grapple_images_ind.html

I have just bought the Virnig bucket. I have not received it yet. I saw one at Butler CAT in Bismarck, ND and really liked it. They have full shielding on the bucket rams. That is attractive to me since I have busted many a fitting on the rams during demo projects.

The Saber Tine bucket is a great logging bucket. Very tough, good grip strength, no complaints. Quick-attach is great to deal with.

I sold my two previous grapple buckets. As far as how valuable they are, if you deal with anything other than dirt in my opinion you need one. Great for demo, concrete removal, and tree, shrub type operations.

RockSet N' Grade
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I just looked at the virnig grapple and have a few questions. Did you compare that to say a demo dozer? And, what made you choose this particular bucket ie: job types?

SiteSolutions
12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
You can do clearing with a regular toothed bucket... I've seen it done, anyway, by a real old school operator. I wouldn't want to have to do it that way.

A 4 in 1 is a lot better, if that is all you have and the job isn't big enough to warrant a grapple, or it is an unexpected opportunity and you don't have time to line up a grapple.

If you can, I would definitely get the grapple. Makes clearing go a lot faster... WAY faster. And you don't end up putting tons of dirt into your trucks, dumpsters, or worse, your burn pile.

ksss
12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I gave serious consideration to the demo dozer. The issue I have with that bucket is the solid grapple. I see it being difficult to grab concrete and irregular objects with it. If that portion was unboltable so you had teeth when you wanted them that would have worked for me as well.

Construct'O
12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments/saber_tine/index.cfm

http://www.virnigmfg.com/Pages/Products/scrap_grapple_images_ind.html

I have just bought the Virnig bucket. I have not received it yet. I saw one at Butler CAT in Bismarck, ND and really liked it. They have full shielding on the bucket rams. That is attractive to me since I have busted many a fitting on the rams during demo projects.

The Saber Tine bucket is a great logging bucket. Very tough, good grip strength, no complaints. Quick-attach is great to deal with.

I sold my two previous grapple buckets. As far as how valuable they are, if you deal with anything other than dirt in my opinion you need one. Great for demo, concrete removal, and tree, shrub type operations.

Okay you have been BUSTED!!!!!!! Do i see the word CAT in there somewhere?

I can't believe Tom didn't spot this one:confused::usflag:

ksss
12-18-2007, 12:36 AM
OK I was on my way to my origin of birth and the CASE and CAT dealer are real close in Bismarck so I covered the logo on pickup and entered the CAT Box. I was happy I did as I have been wanting to see this bucket in person. I would have purchased it if it was not presold. I cant get Virnig to match the price CAT said their bucket sold for.

docholiday
12-18-2007, 09:55 AM
im kinda leaning towards one of the virnig grapples too. why did you sell your other two grapples? thanks scott

qps
12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=ksss;2067886]OK I was on my way to my origin of birth and the CASE and CAT dealer are real close in Bismarck so I covered the logo on pickup and entered the CAT Box. I was happy I did as I have been wanting to see this bucket in person. I would have purchased it if it was not presold. I cant get Virnig to match the price CAT said their bucket sold for.[/QUOTE

It's about time you came around:cool2:

tallrick
12-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Clamshell type bucket can work for debris removal and standard dirt moving but working with a regular bucket alone really limits your capability. I made a homemade grapple for the old Bobcat and it made a huge difference. If you are only moving dirt and gravel, no grapple is needed. With mulch a grapple can help in some cases. A combo (clamshell type) bucket is a good compromise. If you are doing tree work, an open root type grapple is a great attatchment. For lot clearing you can get away with just about anything, but either a bucket with grapple or a root grapple is best. Although I have never used a demo dozer bucket it is somewhat similar to my homemade grapple bucket.

bobcat_ron
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I try to use my grapple as often as I can, but I like the combo bucket better, it seems to hold more and clamp with more pressure.

But the grapple wins out when grabbing large rocks and traffic barriers.

Sunscaper
12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I bought a root grapple in July and use it alot. It saves alot of time and money when clearing land or doing demo. I would recommend getting one with an open bottom so you don't remove any precious fill dirt when clearing. Doing demo I would rather have one with a closed bottom. Roof trusses, rebar and other long objects protrude through the opening and can hit your windshield or even you if your not careful.

Scag48
12-20-2007, 01:26 PM
It really depends on what you're doing. Like Sunscaper said, having a root grapple is nice for leaving dirt on the ground, but longer objects will stick through and drag on the glass on the way up the lift cycle. We had an 84" root grapple from Skid Steer Solutions that was AWESOME, we used it exclusively on our 277B to grab and/or push small apple trees to a central pile where we stacked and burned them with our 312. This setup couldn't have been any better, the only combination that would have worked better would have been a 953 Cat track loader. Out there, tires would get you stuck in the sand, tracks were the only option, but the 277B was fast across the ground and a 953 would have been slower, but could carry alot with a combo bucket. Another guy that pushes trees uses a D7R with a rake, but if he gets into small trees he's in trouble, the D7 murders those little trees. We split a job in half with that guy, he took 100 acres of big trees, we took 100 acres of smaller trees, worked out the best for everyone.

YellowDogSVC
12-20-2007, 07:22 PM
I like the industrial fork grapples. Very versatile and I use one almost everyday to move all size trees, brush, logs, and stumps. If you get good with one, you can uproot and carry brush and trees as well. Great for setting boulders and moving large objects. I would go with the heaviest duty grapple you can afford. My last grapple just lasted me 10 years. Is still in excellent shape, worth more than I paid for it 10 years ago, and still a front line attachment though I bought another one on a whim because mine was ready for new seals in the cylinders and I don't like downtime on dry days. Bucket grapples are good, too, but I don't like scooping dirt with my tree parts.