PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose between these two.

DSLND
12-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys,

I have found two trucks i really like! At first, i was hooked on a regular cab, but then i test drove a extended cab and WOW, i loved it!

Heres two i am currently debating over:

Truck #1:
-2001 Chevy 2500HD
-105k miles
-Rhino Bed Liner, New Tires
-Asking $11,500 (Was going to offer $10k)

Truck #2:
-2002 Chevy 2500HD
-100k miles
-New Batteries
-Going to need new tires before next winter
-7.5' BOSS plow, Western Tailgate Spreader
-Asking $11.5k (Was going to offer $11k)

Heres a picture of the first truck:

Thanks!

-Mitch-

DSLND
12-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Second Truck:

Dirt Digger2
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
the extended cab will treat you better, more room to throw your crap in the back...personally i would never buy a truck that has a plow already on it...but if your driver license doesn't even come until 2009 then why don't you keep your eyes open for something that has less miles

DSLND
12-16-2007, 10:19 PM
the extended cab will treat you better, more room to throw your crap in the back...personally i would never buy a truck that has a plow already on it...but if your driver license doesn't even come until 2009 then why don't you keep your eyes open for something that has less miles

I agree. I'm sort of leaning about waiting until next summer (i get my permit in February) and then purchasing a truck.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

KS_Grasscutter
12-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Neither. I would get an ext. cab long bed, with less miles.

CandCLandscaping
12-16-2007, 10:28 PM
the thing w/ extended 8ft bed manuverability becomes a much greater issue. And i can't speak for mitch, but when i go out plowing for the first time, i dont necessarily want the length of the truck to be an issue.

DSLND
12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
the thing w/ extended 8ft bed manuverability becomes a much greater issue. And i can't speak for mitch, but when i go out plowing for the first time, i dont necessarily want the length of the truck to be an issue.

Great Point. I was going to go look at a truck tomorrow, but it was the extended cab, long bed; WHAT A BUS! But i'm hoping to get a extended cab, short bed.

A buddy of mine has the extended cab, long bed and i will be riding a long with him this winter plowing, seeing what the difference is between that and the extended cab, short bed.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

KS_Grasscutter
12-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't see where 2 feet would be THAT big of a deal. If it is, I would get a reg cab/long bed before getting a short bed work truck. Now if it was just gonna be a personal truck, and not getting used for work a whole lot, I would get an ext. cab.

CandCLandscaping
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
and mitch, where are you finding all of these trucks??? (classifieds, autotrader ebay etc...?

CandCLandscaping
12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
it isnt necessarily the extra 2 feet of the body itself. Its more the wheelbase, which as you get longer the turning radius gets larger and larger. However i have no personal experience plowing w/ an extended cab 8' box.

grassmanak
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
dont buy the long box, i have the short box and its fine, i dont use it my really either, leaves in the fall, thats about it.

DSLND
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Eric: The truck will be used for work/personal use, but i really like the extended cab's.

CandC: I use a whole list of places where i find these trucks:

-Tradinpost.com (local trading post, if you look through and find something you like in my area, let me know, i can go look at it)

-Autorv.com (Theres a magazine floating around Midwest weekly)

-AutoTrader.com

-Ebay

-Craigslist

Thanks!

-Mitch-

steve45
12-17-2007, 12:46 AM
I've got a 4-door short bed Chevy for work. It rides much better than the shorter wheelbase models, but it's harder to park.

Pushing a plow can be rough on a transmission & 4WD drivetrain.

The mileage won't hurt them.

getthenet
12-17-2007, 01:03 AM
I Would Have To Go With The Extended Cab. You Have So Much More Room In The Back To Put Anything Out Of The Weather Such As Cover Alls, Boots, Jackets, Etc. I Always Have 3 Or 4 Coats In The Back Seat. I Don't Know The Difference In Plowing If Long Or Short Is Better, But The Ride, Pulling A Trailer, Or Carrying More People Is Much Better With A Longer Truck. Unless It Is A Small Single Axle Trailer Where You Will Need To Take Up Less Space On The Side Of The Road While Working. All Depends On What You Want To Use It For.

TXNSLighting
12-17-2007, 10:34 AM
me i only do crew cabs. and its actually only a foot and a half between a short bed and long bed. not much difference at all. and for work, long bed only, and get a diesel! ha!
Id keep looking.

Pro-Turf, LLC
12-17-2007, 11:04 AM
save up your money you dont need that truck till what august of 09 so you can save up for 2 summers and probably have enough to buy a brand new truck with a warrenty and get exactly what you want

Johnson LCO
12-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Regular cabs are so much cheaper but the only problem comes up when you go to the home depot to pick up some workers and there is no space! (j/k) but seriously if you have plan to have more than one other person work with you it will be tough. Best to plan for the future and just get the extended cab.

TXNSLighting
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
save up your money you dont need that truck till what august of 09 so you can save up for 2 summers and probably have enough to buy a brand new truck with a warrenty and get exactly what you want

its spelled warranty no e's. everyone who spells it with an e needs to stop. thanks.

CandCLandscaping
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
the thing is mitch, what will be the focus in your business? is it more towards plowing or landscaping/mowing? It would probally be best to get what would work best for your focus, and make it work for plowing.

Krehling's Prop. Maint.
12-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm just curious.... if you don't get your drivers license until 2009 then why are you buying a truck now? thats a lot more money to spend on insurance. Why don't you just try to find an ext. cab long bed? theres plenty of deals out there just keep looking, you have plenty of time.

also, if you aren't embarrassed of your offer, you didn't go low enough. cause you can always work your way up in a deal, not back down.

anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.

J&R Landscaping
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Out of the 2, the Reg cab long bed gets my vote! I'd still be waiting for a different truck though, with less miles. Those trucks might be darn nice but the owner is getting rid of it for some reason.

KS_Grasscutter
12-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Dude, save up for like another year and start looking for trucks at this time NEXT year. It's really pointless to have a truck sit for almost a year and a half since you cant drive it...

deere615
12-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I personally like the second one but thats just me.

SiteSolutions
12-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Great Point. I was going to go look at a truck tomorrow, but it was the extended cab, long bed; WHAT A BUS!

You think that's bad, my crew cab long box is over a foot longer than my 6 ton dump truck. It's a couple feet longer than the wife's Excursion. Can't park up front at the grocery or hardware store, have to park farther out, where I can have two places to myself.:dizzy:

TXNSLighting
12-18-2007, 09:31 AM
i always have crew cab long beds. i never have a problem parking them...its all in the driver...

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-18-2007, 10:15 AM
too bad you cant you get a mega cab with long bed in the Dodge 3500 srw, that would be my choice for hauling our quads+camping gear when we go out to Wayne Nat. Forest

mattfromNY
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
i always have crew cab long beds. i never have a problem parking them...its all in the driver...

Yeah, but everything's bigger in Texas. Including parking spaces. :usflag:

getthenet
12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
too bad you cant you get a mega cab with long bed in the Dodge 3500 srw, that would be my choice for hauling our quads+camping gear when we go out to Wayne Nat. Forest

WHAT DO YOU RIDE?

DSLND
12-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all of the replys!

As far as the situation, i have decided to wait until proboably next summer to get myself a vehicle. I just don't want to rob my bank account now, and then go through winter.

As far as the use of the truck, it will be used to haul all of my maintenance equipment around, along with debris, and materials for landscape projects. It will also serve as my personal vehicle, but only for a while, being i plan on getting a little car or something to save on gas.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

SiteSolutions
12-19-2007, 08:45 AM

I don't have a problem parking anything. It's just inconsiderate to take up two spaces. If I don't take up two spaces, 3 feet of truck is sitting out in the aisle, where people are trying to drive.

But thanks for the cheap shot...:rolleyes:

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Ours:
2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Auto, Full independent susp.
2004 Arctic Cat 650 V-Twin 4x4 Auto FIS

and we usually haul my uncles 2004 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Auto

three quads, we bring a bunch of firewood, 10x10 Pop up canopy, tents, sleeping gear, A TON OF FOOD! and riding gear.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2007, 10:01 AM
ill get some pics up in another thread, dont want to hijack this one