PDA

View Full Version : trying to decided on equipment for startup

mowing grass 1111
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
i do commercial mowing as a solo and decided that next season i would like to try my hand at sealcoating . i have sealed my driveway 175'x10' a few times by hand and that was a job from hell . i don't plan on doing that again any time soon ..as a start up i don't wanna drop alot of cash on equipment , but i don't want something that looks like **** either . here is the sprayer i am looking at http://www.asphaltsealcoatingdirect.com/products/asphalt-poly-skid-sealcoating-system.
if you could tell me your thoughts about this setup that would be very helpful
i am going after small residential drives and only want to do 3-4 a day 2 days a week

nitro121
12-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I had asked about these same type systems on a few boards. Everyone says they don't work. BUT...I did talk/private message some members who actually fessed up to using them or starting w/ them. And they do work. One guy said that he had to replace the pump once a season but it was only 300 bucks. I plan on offering the service to my lawn customers too. I'm going to practice/learn on my driveway. It's over 600 feet and I was quoted almost 1000 bucks for someone else to do it. So it's a no-brainer for me to try to get in the field...but I just want to do easy residentail driveways...not looking to do parking lots or anything. There is a guy on here selling that same system w/ a 125 gallon tank...he's going to help me build one just like it. I'd have bought his but he lives to far away. I don't think I need that big of a tank for small 2 car driveways.

Question. How much sealant did you have to use to do your driveway?

Peace,
Gary

mowing grass 1111
12-17-2007, 12:23 PM
i used about 11.. 5 gallon buckets of sealer to do the driveway which gave me two coats it was a new driveway
btw how much is the unit you are looking at and do you have a link to the site........also where in VA do you live , i am in Staunton, Va

mowing grass 1111
12-18-2007, 02:15 AM
wow this forum is about as useful as tits on a bull frog..........anyways i have decided to buy a used trailer mount sprayer. I have seen a few nice ones priced around $8,500 . i have a supplier lined up for the sealer and sand . all i need to do now is practise on my driveway and i have about 6 other driveways i can practise on when the weather warms up. i also need to figure a price per sq foot and a minimum price for the small driveways, i can't see myself doing a 400 sq ft driveway for .18 sq. I am hoping to get around .16-.18 per sq ft for the larger jobs ...........this area pays well.
good luck to everybody for the 2008 season

nitro121
12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
in this forum since it's for lawnmowing I guess. I live in Fredericksburg...about 2 hours from Staunton. Here is the thread for the starter unit I'm going to build....you can get all the parts from Tractor Supply and online from what I've read. It's just like the basic unit from the website you provided, just a smaller tank.

Gary

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=206546

mowing grass 1111
12-19-2007, 09:09 AM
i am having a hard time deciding to build , buy new or used. i called seal-rite and was quoted a price on a 550 trailer unit for $13k

sealit
12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Go to EBAY and search #250195252934. It looks like a good price for the unit. Seal-Rite
makes real nice equipment. Your not going to save much making your own and you will save a lot of aggravation. Also if you keep it in good shape and it does not work out you can always get your money back or close to it. The auction has ended but he may still have it and you can make an offer. Dont take my word for it ask some other people in the business about a Seal-Rite and I think they will agree. And NO I dont have anything affiliation with the seller or Seal-Rite, I am just trying to be helpfull. I have way to much time on my hands from now until April comes around. Good luck and I would be happy to help along the way if you have any questions. I have been in business for 15 years. Sealcoating is a great business but its like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. Again good luck and I hope I was helpfull.

nitro121
12-19-2007, 12:54 PM
13K is too much for me to invest. From what I'm told you can build one for 500 and buy it for 1000...it might be worth it since I usually screw projects up that I work on. I just want a smaller tank.

But a 550 gallon unit....how much sealing are you planning on doing? It's kinda overkill if you're only going to focus on small driveways and just breaking in to the business.

mowing grass 1111
12-21-2007, 11:17 AM
13K is too much for me to invest. From what I'm told you can build one for 500 and buy it for 1000...it might be worth it since I usually screw projects up that I work on. I just want a smaller tank.

But a 550 gallon unit....how much sealing are you planning on doing? It's kinda overkill if you're only going to focus on small driveways and just breaking in to the business.

i plan on doing both residential and commercial.. i may have 3 target stores and a starbucks store lined up aready . and i have tons of other leads since i am a commercial mower

bobcat1
12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
dont know if any of this is for you but i have some equipment for sale that might assist you in your new venture. One is a truck with a 500 gal. tank and the other is a squeege machine. They are both listed on this site in the for sale, and the sealcoating forum, if you have not yet seen them. Good luck. henry3@adelphia.net

mowing grass 1111
12-22-2007, 04:06 PM

550 is hardly overkill . i think it would be foolish to buy a small tank that i will out grow in a year also my seal supplier is about 50 miles away thats anther reason for a bigger tank .

nitro121
12-23-2007, 01:27 AM
i do commercial mowing as a solo and decided that next season i would like to try my hand at sealcoating . i have sealed my driveway 175'x10' a few times by hand and that was a job from hell . i don't plan on doing that again any time soon ..as a start up i don't wanna drop alot of cash on equipment , but i don't want something that looks like **** either . here is the sprayer i am looking at http://www.asphaltsealcoatingdirect.com/products/asphalt-poly-skid-sealcoating-system.
if you could tell me your thoughts about this setup that would be very helpful
i am going after small residential drives and only want to do 3-4 a day 2 days a week

I'm just going by your first thread.....you didn't mention all the big accounts. :rolleyes: You said you "don't wanna drop alot of cash on equipment" and "I am going after small residential drives @ 7 a week". :confused:

8 SMALL driveways a week....a 550 gallon rig would be overkill. :hammerhead:

Peace,
Gary :drinkup:

mowing grass 1111
12-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm just going by your first thread.....you didn't mention all the big accounts. :rolleyes: You said you "don't wanna drop alot of cash on equipment" and "I am going after small residential drives @ 7 a week". :confused:

8 SMALL driveways a week....a 550 gallon rig would be overkill. :hammerhead:

Peace,
Gary :drinkup:

my bad ...when i posted about the sprayer in the first thread i had really not done much research . I have also learned i will be laughed out of town trying to get .16-.18 a sq ft .........anyways you now how it is when you start something you always change your mind . when i started doing lawn care i said i was only going do small residential lawns, but now 85% of my work is commercial lawns and average around 4-6 acres.
plans for sealcoating is mostly residential with what ever commercial i can get for the first year or two .hopefully add a second crew with a 500-700 gallon truck mounted sprayer in the 2nd or 3rd year.

i have all winter to find a setup ......i wish i would have seen the sprayer listed on ebay thats posted above....its been sold . :cool2:

jeff simpson
12-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Gentelmen,
I have observed you conversations regarding sealcoating and equipment. I have been in the business for over 15 years and am retiring. If your interested in equipment, I have good quality equipment. I have a Sealrite tank trailer, two trucks with tanks, an enclosed trailer with two striping machines, a crafco crack filling machine and many misc. tools and equipment.
If any of you all are interested in expanding your businesses or trying to break into this field please let me know.
I can provide an asset list.

Regards,

Jeff Simpson

mc sealalot
12-26-2007, 03:36 AM
its for sale just in case you miss it on the post and is not has good looking has the seal rite but will do the same job and is built real similar:usflag: you can call me with any questions 860-213-3697

mowing grass 1111
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
NITRO121 .. how is your startup coming along?
i ended up buying a used skid mount spray system that sits in the bed of my truck ... a hell of a lot cheaper than the $13k i was looking at for a 550 trailer unit. i hope it warms up soon i am itching to use it on my driveway and have 6 other driveways i can spray (family) to get the hang of it. so far i have two small apartment parking lots to seal 7,500 sq ft and another a little over 11k sq ft. i need to find a sub for painting lines

grassman21
03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Gentelmen,
I have observed you conversations regarding sealcoating and equipment. I have been in the business for over 15 years and am retiring. If your interested in equipment, I have good quality equipment. I have a Sealrite tank trailer, two trucks with tanks, an enclosed trailer with two striping machines, a crafco crack filling machine and many misc. tools and equipment.
If any of you all are interested in expanding your businesses or trying to break into this field please let me know.
I can provide an asset list.

Regards,

Jeff Simpson
i tried to send u a pm regarding your equipent, i am interested send me a pm if possible

Don M.
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I've got a friend that got into this a couple of years ago. He just uses a 275 gallon plastic tank with a pipe that goes to the end of the trailer and a valve. He buckets everything (I know backbreaking!), but he has been doing really good with it. He works for a manufacturing plant and last year he got that contract to seal the parking lot. It was very good money.

This year he told me he is buying a sprayer, but he started with hardly nothing and built it up from there.