PDA

View Full Version : Probably not the best website but i did it myself and got a .com

bigw
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Try not to bust my stones too much it's the first time i ever built a website and in fact this is all new to me but im trying :usflag:http://www.vintagelawncare.com/

ExclusiveLawnCare
12-17-2007, 12:44 AM
good start hopefully it all goes well. goodluck.

the.hines
12-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey that looks good for your first... Hell my first is for my other business. I opened it about a month ago and I think I may sell out of the lawn business.

So what branch? Got to be Marine or Navy with those Tattoos???

Good Luck
Shawn Hines

DLAWNS
12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Lokks good, man. On your home page in the top picture there is some text in there. Just wanted to let you know.

txgrassguy
12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Looks fine to me - good job.
Where did you get the info on how to do something like this?

bigw
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Lokks good, man. On your home page in the top picture there is some text in there. Just wanted to let you know.

wow good eye didnt even see that...think i got it out thanks :weightlifter:

bigw
12-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Looks fine to me - good job.
Where did you get the info on how to do something like this?

Their is a program that you download that you can build your website on and get your domain name if its still available and then you pay like 5$ a month for them to host it,you design your own site using thousands of their samples and you can mix and match and basically do anything you want,now to get it to go to place's like google you would have to pay like 80$ a month.I didnt do that yet but i will once im up and running...got to watch the budget.The important thing for me was to get my .com name and atleast get on the web for now,if someone sees your website on a card or your trailer its an easy way to see what you do.besides i think more people will use your .com from seeing it somewhere alot more then they will just doing a search for lawn care on their computer...besides more important to me right now is the walk behind mower that i need to get because my new lazer z 60" aint getting through no little fences :laugh:

MV Property Care
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Dave, Looks like a good web site to me. Can you post the web address where you got your information. Also, do you rent your domain name from the hosting company or do you own it. I was thinking if you rented your domain name they could always raise the fee and after you get really established maybe in a few years they might want you to pay $100.00 a month and what could you do, because everybody now knows your web address. Just my thoughts,

Thanks
Matt.

Gilligan
12-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I havent had a chance to look into this, but it appears to be totally free from windows...

If someone has a second...maybe they can check it out and fill the rest of us in....

I took a few minutes and grabbed a domain name, but thats as far as I got...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officelive/default.aspx

Sweet Tater
12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
On your contact page.. if you will add mailto: infront of your email address it will make it a link for email instead of having to copy and past. no spaces

TomberLawn
12-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I like your website, BigW. I have just a couple of suggestions. On the Contact Us page, I think you should move your address/numbers to the top of the page. When I loaded the page, it took a little bit for the map to load and all I saw was a blank page, until I scrolled down. If people don't scroll down, they may not see your contact info at all. The clouds move by pretty quickly, too. If you can slow it down, I think it would be more appealing. The site looks great, though; congratulations on building it yourself!

bigw
12-17-2007, 06:46 PM
here is the site and my domain name is 1.94 a month so thats not too bad and the hosting is 4.99 a month and the cost of set up is like a one time fee of 5 dollors so im paying like 7-8$ a month...the first 30 days are free and if you dont want to keep it you can cancel,anyone that wants me to help get them started you can call me at 267-221-6117 and ill gladly save you alot of time by walking you through it over the phone.http://www.homestead.com/Dave, Looks like a good web site to me. Can you post the web address where you got your information. Also, do you rent your domain name from the hosting company or do you own it. I was thinking if you rented your domain name they could always raise the fee and after you get really established maybe in a few years they might want you to pay $100.00 a month and what could you do, because everybody now knows your web address. Just my thoughts,

Thanks
Matt.

MV Property Care
12-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Thank you dave for the info.

lifetree
12-17-2007, 11:26 PM
It's a good start, congratulations on getting it done on your own !!

bigw
12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Thank you dave for the info.

no problem just call me if you need a hand.

bigw
12-18-2007, 12:30 AM
It's a good start, congratulations on getting it done on your own !!

Clear-Cut
12-18-2007, 12:54 AM
I havent had a chance to look into this, but it appears to be totally free from windows...

If someone has a second...maybe they can check it out and fill the rest of us in....

I took a few minutes and grabbed a domain name, but thats as far as I got...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officelive/default.aspx

i just got one about a week ago...still in the process of setting it up but here is what i have so far

www.clearcutlandscape.com

i kno i need better quality images...im working on that

also there are templates to choose from as for the layout of the site

you cant add any other links to the navigation bar, so you can only have the 4 pages that they have there (Home, About Us, Contact Us, Site Map which you cant really do anything with)

check out the 'Contact Us' page. i think its awesome that the customers can email you directly through the form there..and it gets sent to your free email account that comes with the site. mine is justin@clearcutlandscape.com

i think its cool. you get a lot for free!

topsites
12-18-2007, 02:44 AM
That's not bad, may I suggest looking into a cgi-based mail form before you get too hot about getting your link listed?
Reason I say is because a publicly viewable email address is bait for spammers, you want to start thinking along a somewhat more secure format sometime in the near future, say the next 6-12 months or so.

But the site looks good, it's well past the worst of basics, does the trick.

M&SLawnCare
12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Topsites has a very good point. I've owned a few web pages over the years and never took that into account. The email address i used on them now gets several hundred junk emails a week. Otherwise looks very good to me.

Dunn's
12-18-2007, 07:30 PM
also since you have all of that about the truth and honesty.

You might want to change the fully insured part because there is know such thing.

bigw
12-19-2007, 12:37 AM
also since you have all of that about the truth and honesty.

You might want to change the fully insured part because there is know such thing.

well I'm as insured as my state expects me to be or any commercial would like me to be so i think when i say fully insured I'm not being dishonest,i know one thing for sure i have more insurance then most of the scapers that ill be competing against in my neighborhood.:weightlifter:

Dunn's
12-19-2007, 01:09 PM
yeah it should still just say licensed and insured. Fully is lying and misleading which is the norm for now a days and you are trying to convey the old days when this didn't happen as much.

Now it is starting to sound like you are just using it as a gimic instead of actually follow these ways.

by the way 1million general contractors isn't really that much insurance.

I hope you do have more than the illegal business because they have none and they are the crooks who are ripping people of that you are trying to shy away from.

Just our two cents take it our leave. even though the latter is what you will do.

topsites
12-19-2007, 01:31 PM
here is the site and my domain name is 1.94 a month so thats not too bad and the hosting is 4.99 a month and the cost of set up is like a one time fee of 5 dollors so im paying like 7-8$ a month...the first 30 days are free and if you dont want to keep it you can cancel,anyone that wants me to help get them started you can call me at xxxxxxxx and ill gladly save you alot of time by walking you through it over the phone.http://www.homestead.com/

Yeah, homestead is a nice place, I believe ~8 years ago I hosted something there, we were just coming out of the doot boom and they were new (and free lol) then. That was part of what turned me off at the time is they started charging money, but in the years to come they added a considerable number of improvements which, for the price they ask, it's not a bad deal at all.

bigw
12-19-2007, 10:54 PM
yeah it should still just say licensed and insured. Fully is lying and misleading which is the norm for now a days and you are trying to convey the old days when this didn't happen as much.

Now it is starting to sound like you are just using it as a gimic instead of actually follow these ways.

by the way 1million general contractors isn't really that much insurance.

I hope you do have more than the illegal business because they have none and they are the crooks who are ripping people of that you are trying to shy away from.

Just our two cents take it our leave. even though the latter is what you will do. you are really starting to get on my nerves,just because i say fully insured does not mean i am a liar or not keeping up to my word of being honest.I cant believe you are even questioning my honesty or anything else,you are the only person that had to find something to bi tch about and besides you have no clue about how much insurance i have and also i don't need to lie or use gimmicks so why don't you just stay out of my post from now on if all your going to do is try and start negativity.

Grits
12-19-2007, 11:05 PM
i just got one about a week ago...still in the process of setting it up but here is what i have so far

www.clearcutlandscape.com

i kno i need better quality images...im working on that

also there are templates to choose from as for the layout of the site

you cant add any other links to the navigation bar, so you can only have the 4 pages that they have there (Home, About Us, Contact Us, Site Map which you cant really do anything with)

check out the 'Contact Us' page. i think its awesome that the customers can email you directly through the form there..and it gets sent to your free email account that comes with the site. mine is justin@clearcutlandscape.com

i think its cool. you get a lot for free!

Text that is embedded in graphics is not search engine friendly. This is something I have learned lately and thought I would pass it on.

LushGreenLawn
12-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Wow Dunn,

At least the guy has a license and insurance, which is better than I'm sure most of the people who post here.

I can see a little bit where you are coming from, if two ads were side by side in the yellow pages, and one said insured, and one said fully insured, it may trick a customer into thinking he had more insurance than the competition, but I think that would be a rage occurance. Most customers will recognize that people word things differently.

PLM-1
12-20-2007, 07:13 AM
On your testimonial page it's "hear" not "here"

bigw
12-20-2007, 12:38 PM
On your testimonial page it's "hear" not "here"
hey thanks didnt realize that!

LAwnpro13
12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
The sight looks fantastic for a first time attempt!!! You are really putting together a "class act" operation. It's nice to have another true professional organization amongst us.

"Fully insured" is an industry standard designation in the field of insurance, and is not misleading to anyone in these days. Simply stating "insured" is more dishonest then "fully insured". If a person has health insurance he can state "insured". ]"Fully insured" is a statement that the company or individual meets and or exceeds the requirements for operation in their given location.

I am not attempting to show any disrespect towards anyone that is posting here, but we need be supportive of those that are trying to improve the industry by doing it right. Not "blasting" someone because their words are just that, THEIRS, and not yours or mine. Individuals come here for information and support, not attacks, IMO.

I have my PEACE, for those of you that disagree with my last paragraph, I hope you find your PEACE as well. Life does not have to be lived in a negative, only if you so choose.

bigw
12-30-2007, 02:52 AM
The sight looks fantastic for a first time attempt!!! You are really putting together a "class act" operation. It's nice to have another true professional organization amongst us.

"Fully insured" is an industry standard designation in the field of insurance, and is not misleading to anyone in these days. Simply stating "insured" is more dishonest then "fully insured". If a person has health insurance he can state "insured". ]"Fully insured" is a statement that the company or individual meets and or exceeds the requirements for operation in their given location.

I am not attempting to show any disrespect towards anyone that is posting here, but we need be supportive of those that are trying to improve the industry by doing it right. Not "blasting" someone because their words are just that, THEIRS, and not yours or mine. Individuals come here for information and support, not attacks, IMO.

I have my PEACE, for those of you that disagree with my last paragraph, I hope you find your PEACE as well. Life does not have to be lived in a negative, only if you so choose.

WOW thanks allot for that,i really am trying to run a good respectable business and do good quality work and it gets depressing when people try to bring you down before you even get started.I never claimed to know it all but i do know i want to be successful for this is going to feed my family,i am trying to make my company as professional as possible.I don't want to be another weekend warrior with a 20" mower beat up truck and no insurance going around low balling all the lco's in my area,i plan to be high quality yet affordable and my business will cater to mostly our senior citizens that to me don't really get the respect that they deserve from our younger generation,i see how people treat our elders and it really upsets me,i mean people act like they are aliens or something.I got news for everyone that treats senior citizens like they don't count...They have 80% of all the money in your home town and they know 80% more people then you do,try being nice to them and your business will grow like never before and I'm banking on it!! I guess ill get ripped for this but hey I'm tired of watching the way people try to take advantage of our senior citizens,sure they can be cranky sometimes but if you were treated the way they are you'd be cranky too,try helping one out or cutting them a break sometime and see what it brings to you.I BELIEVE my company will become successful no matter what because i don't believe the lord would have brought me this far if i couldn't do it!!...sorry had to vent!!

LAwnpro13
12-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Amen to ALL that, brother!!!
I do a couple of things that when I started them some of the other LCO's thought I was insane LOL
-Seniors over 55yo get a 20% discount on all services
- I have a deployment package (alot of military in Pensacola) that gives up to 25% of my available slots (15 homes right now) free basic service for up to 12 months while the spouse is deployed overseas. This led to a jump of almost 50% in paying customers when I started it. A real good return on giving a way something I believed in.:usflag:

Both of these shot my income way up in a short time....they all have other family members that will pay "top$$$" because you are doing their relative a huge favor. Good business for them, and great business for me. The deployment deal brought advertising in the papers and TV I could have no way afforded otherwise. Landed 2 resorts that pay fantastic money from one of the TV stories. Hows the commercial go....priceless!!!!!

This not my first rodeo, and the LCO willing to be different will be the one that wins the gold...believe it, living it. My previous experience was from Ohio when I retired to Florida, got bored, and said lets do what I know. Started cold with no contacts at all. Marketed the deployment and senior things through the Naval wellfare office, and the senior citizen center for the other, grew from there.

Not getting rich, but wealthy in my soul for doing what is right, and the income is way better then average, the Lord rewards as Spirit moves, in a positive loving manner.

You need to follow what you know is right in your heart, dare to different, and watch those that disagree with you in the rear view mirror as you drive right past them.:waving: Your on a great start, stick with it, be positive, give positive, and more positive will come your way.