PDA

View Full Version : Lexan or Polycarbonate????

bobcat_ron
12-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Here's the deal, my old T190 had Bobcat's Polycarbonate window on the front which took a beating and I could never scratch it no matter what the wiper came across, now my Cat front window (which has the dealer installed 1/4' thick Lexan which they claim is Polycarbonate) is scratched from only a few drips of muddy water and continuous wiper action in a rain storm, is there a big difference in these two types of windows or should I start looking for a better window option?

I know of a supplier here locally in Langley that can supply me with the right stuff but I can't remember the name of the business.

Gravel Rat
12-17-2007, 02:59 AM
What about going with automotive style glass you can get a coating like they use on backhoe windows to resist scratching.

Insta Glass does equipment windows they can cut any size or shape. Your not using the machine for brushing or pavement grinding ?

Plastic windows will scratch nothing you can do about it. Its like plastic lenses in eye glasses they can put a coating on the plastic to resist scratching.

When I was running rubber tired hoe I went through a jug of washer fluid every couple days. I hate the scratching sound of a wiper blade sanding the winshield :laugh:

Scag48
12-17-2007, 03:06 AM
That's what I'd do. If you're not brush cutting or using a planer where impact resistance is key, I'd got with thick automotive glass with a scratch resistant coating.

YellowDogSVC
12-17-2007, 10:02 AM
lexan is polycarbonate. Brand name but same thing. You may or may not have a coating on your window that is scratch resistant but they will all scratch. How thick is your poly? I have had to replace mine 3x at a cost of 1200 over a few years. I now keep a spare. Very frustrating. I just replaced mine 2 months ago and already scratched it.

bobcat_ron
12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
My front window is 1/4" thick, reason I had to have one is due to the jackhammer "spitting" little pieces of concrete when it first gets started, no major brush cutting, just grass and small twigs.
I'll check with Bobcat and see what they have on their windows as well as look into a polish/cleaner for the window.

YellowDogSVC
12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
My front window is 1/4" thick, reason I had to have one is due to the jackhammer "spitting" little pieces of concrete when it first gets started, no major brush cutting, just grass and small twigs.
I'll check with Bobcat and see what they have on their windows as well as look into a polish/cleaner for the window.

bobcat switched to 3/4" poly for mowing. They won't sell the 1/4" anymore even for replacement.

bobcat_ron
12-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I got the business card from a company called Concept Heavy equipment windows, they do alot of business for the big names around here for the Forestry equipment, I figure I'll give them a call after I look around for a cleaner/polisher.

YellowDogSVC
12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I got the business card from a company called Concept Heavy equipment windows, they do alot of business for the big names around here for the Forestry equipment, I figure I'll give them a call after I look around for a cleaner/polisher.

if you have a coated lexan or coated poly, the polisher won't work. I just went through all this and resigned to buy 2 new doors and now consider them disposable. I had to have mine custom made since Bobcat won't sell them and they have that slight curve to them. The company I used did a good job but windows are $500/ea.

bobcat_ron
12-17-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't think my window has the coating, it's just a clear colour, whereas Bobcat has a slight blue tinge in it, maybe that's the coating.

But on a side note, Cat has a 3 piece front window which eliminates the curve which equals cheaper replacement costs, all that is needed is to remove the windows and re-silicone them in place with the sealant they recommend.

ksss
12-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I just wear safety glasses when I am breaking concrete. I may or may not have the door on the cab (usually not). Eitherway I have never broke a window or had any issues with concrete striking me with any force sufficient to cause me any problems (it does not comeback with enough velocity in my experience). You might get a replacement door made of glass and use that the majority of the time and use the Lexan door when you needed that capability. Probably cheaper than continuously replacing lexan. Yellowdog is stuck with having to use Lexan but you may not be. Just a thought.

bobcat_ron
12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I'm think that too, but Finning (CAT) likes to really jack up their mark up on parts!

Gravel Rat
12-17-2007, 09:50 PM
These guys make the best glass windows you can get

www.diamondseaglaze.com/section.asp?catid=138&subid=144&pageid=33

One thing about glass windows is they are cheaper and you have a clearer vision through them. Any of the feller bunchers I have been in they run a lexan windows any they are always foggy looking.

YellowDogSVC
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't think my window has the coating, it's just a clear colour, whereas Bobcat has a slight blue tinge in it, maybe that's the coating.

But on a side note, Cat has a 3 piece front window which eliminates the curve which equals cheaper replacement costs, all that is needed is to remove the windows and re-silicone them in place with the sealant they recommend.

My bobcat lexan was clear as a could be. My glass had a slight tint.

I bought 3 products that are for polishing lexan. You start with the rougher one then use the finer one to finish it up. It's not easy to do from what they tell me. I didn't try it yet because the company said it wouldn't work on my coated lexan. Many outdoor application lexan or polycarbonates are coated to resist uv and provide scratch resistance but they still scratch easily. I wish I could just use glass that is bulletproof! I hate looking out lexan. It slightly deforms my view if I look carefully and it naturally has a charge that attracts dust.