PDA

View Full Version : My first power wash job this morning!

Grits
12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I completed my first power wash job this morning. 3 walls of a vinyl siding house and a 10 x 10 concrete patio slab. It took me 1.5 hours and I charged $125. I had to rent the equipment for $45. I came out OK as far as money. I took this job to see if I wanted to persue the addition of power washing to my company. I must say that I enjoyed it and will look more into adding it. Once I get more experience, I can see the profit margin rising greatly. I think it will be a great addition to my biz.

GreenT
12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Weren't you cold?

yardmanlee
12-17-2007, 04:44 PM
it doesnt get cold in florida !!!

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING
12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Once You Know What To Clean With You Will Be A Lot Faster Than That... Now You Need To Learn How To Tack On The Extra That Peolpe Want Done With That...

Grits
12-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Weren't you cold?

It was chilly! But I had to do it today. I scheduled it for Saturday. But I woke up Saturday morning and I was puking...sick as a dog. It was about 39 degrees.

Grits
12-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Once You Know What To Clean With You Will Be A Lot Faster Than That... Now You Need To Learn How To Tack On The Extra That Peolpe Want Done With That...

That's what I figure. Today I used just a degreaser and bleach. It worked better than I expected, so I can't wait to see how easy it is with the "right" chemicals. What are some of the things I would be able to tack on? Thanks!

yardmanlee
12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
It was chilly! But I had to do it today. I scheduled it for Saturday. But I woke up Saturday morning and I was puking...sick as a dog. It was about 39 degrees.

everyone must have been sick last week my 2 kids had the puking stuff and me and the ms. felt like crap for 2 days

Grits
12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
everyone must have been sick last week my 2 kids had the puking stuff and me and the ms. felt like crap for 2 days

It was brutal!!! I was bad sick all of Saturday. I was pretty much over it Sunday, but I was totally exhausted all day. Today, I am getting rehydrated and my energy is coming back. That is the sickest I have been in a long time. I hate it for anyone that gets it. I hope you and your family make a speedy recovery.

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING
12-17-2007, 11:59 PM
That's what I figure. Today I used just a degreaser and bleach. It worked better than I expected, so I can't wait to see how easy it is with the "right" chemicals. What are some of the things I would be able to tack on? Thanks!

YOU GOT TO BE CAREFUL WITH BLEACH IT WILL GET YOU IN TROUBLE.:nono:. CALL ME I WILL TELL YA WHAT I USE ON A DAILY BASES.. 985-290-5389 RODNEY ITS TO MUCH TO TYPE.. I ONLY SPEND 15 BUCKS TO CLEAN A HOUSE AND ABOUT THE SAME ON CONCRETE:)

Happy Frog
12-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Bob at Pressure Tek is the man to talk to...
http://www.pressuretek.com/
Check his forum for all the answers to your questions

yardmanlee
12-18-2007, 05:58 AM
thanks grits !!! do ya'll that do power/pressure washing caryy you own water tanks or do ya use the home owners water ?

Lawn-Sharks
12-18-2007, 01:08 PM
(FLORIDA) i use the property owners water. they provide the water or its an additional $100 on top of my price.Or i can nock $10 off my total bill to use the water supply.Besides i provide everything else the gas,cleaner,pressure washer,liabilty insurance,ladders & my time.

Grits
12-18-2007, 03:42 PM
thanks grits !!! do ya'll that do power/pressure washing caryy you own water tanks or do ya use the home owners water ?

I'm just gonna use the customer's water. If it isn't available, then I won't do the job. That's the beauty of just having power washing as an addition to the biz.

Dynamic
12-21-2007, 05:23 PM
How do you figure out pricing, is it by the hour or the job and is there different rates for residential to commercial?
Thanks

Lawn-Sharks
12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
(Florida) $30hr + cleaner. make sure to tell them that your price includes using their water supply

Lawn-Sharks
12-22-2007, 08:42 AM
sorry forgot dont for get to add an extra hour to you price for every 3high up spots you have to climb up to.because we all have safty in mind and we tend to slow down when we climb high & our feet are wet. also i do charge a flat rate.for a single story 1500sf house i charge $300.00 for the hole house and i can usually do it in less than 4hrs....

Happy Frog
12-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Your price should be $120 per hour when you have the proper equipment, chemical and technique :cool2:

one or two story house: no need for ladder... :nono:
2,500 Sq feet house with real dirty and moldy vinyl siding shouldn't take more than 90 minutes, 2 hours 30 if it's brick... :weightlifter:

You need a 4.0 Gal./Min. or more (5.5) pressure washer to get professional results (high flow @ low pressure) :drinkup:

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING
12-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Your price should be $120 per hour when you have the proper equipment, chemical and technique :cool2:

2,500 Sq feet house with real dirty and moldy vinyl siding shouldn't take more than 90 minutes, 2 hours 30 if it's brick... :weightlifter:

You need a 4.0 Gal./Min. or more (5.5) pressure washer to get professional results (high flow @ low pressure) :drinkup:

YES thats about what it is here also...

DaughtryLC
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I also do washing. I just use a 2600psi that I got from Lowes, It has give me a few problems over the years, but nothing major! It has alot of hrs on it (I'm guessing). I keep saying im going to buy a commercial washer but if its doing the job i cant justfiy it. I guess I've been lucky! And I've made alot of $$ with a $500.00 pressure washer!!payup

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING
12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=DaughtryLC;2073583]I also do washing. I just use a 2600psi that I got from Lowes, It has give me a few problems over the years, but nothing major! It has alot of hrs on it (I'm guessing). I keep saying im going to buy a commercial washer but if its doing the job i cant justfiy it. I guess I've been lucky! And I've made alot of $$ with a $500.00 pressure washer!!payup[/QUOTE

A bigger:weightlifter: washer makes ya go faster.. make more money or more time off:drinkup:

Midstate Lawncare
01-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Weren't you cold?

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above post do not represent the views of this site, any other affiliated sites, or its sponsors. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. May be too intense for some viewers. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Colors may fade. Batteries not included.

In your discalimer.... are you talking about the opinions expressed.... or the woman's picture you use for your avatar?:laugh:

Lawn-Sharks
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Yes! i do agree with you it should be $120 per hour but. the people around these parts are Old and live off of some sort of assitance. and otherwise would not even call someone who will charge $120 per hour. So the way i feel about this and its just speaking for "ME" I could charge big bucks for one big job.and get no more work from these people OR i can charge what i think is a fair days profit and they feel is a good deal and get more work. From word of mouth of course. its work so far! Just Had To Say My Piece

Happy Frog
01-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Let me rephrase that:
A 1800 sq ft vinyl sided single story house would be more than fairly priced at $135.00.
It would take me about 60 minutes to clean such a house (including back terrace and front porch) with a nice sparkling finish and smell to it.
That would be $135.00/Hr for my time.
It would take the homeowner about 4 hours to get a lesser quality cleaning and finish with a rental PW (2.7 gal/min) and Home Depot house wash soap.
The homeowner would spend at least one hour to get and return his rental equipment and spend about $65.00 in rental, chemicals and gas...

$120.00/hr is a minimum for pressure washing... Many would even call you a lowballer at that rate...

csl
01-22-2008, 08:01 PM
we only pressure wash driveways when we are done with the construction end of things, but is there really that much of a market. do you need to use any sort of pressure regulators for safety? chemicals etc,? sorry for the ignorance, but i would never have thought this end of the industry was that popular.

squirtgun
01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes! i do agree with you it should be $120 per hour but. the people around these parts are Old and live off of some sort of assitance. and otherwise would not even call someone who will charge $120 per hour. So the way i feel about this and its just speaking for "ME" I could charge big bucks for one big job.and get no more work from these people OR i can charge what i think is a fair days profit and they feel is a good deal and get more work. From word of mouth of course. its work so far! Just Had To Say My Piece

Ok,now the flip side.
How would you like it if someone showed up in your area and started cutting lawns for $10 each?
They think it's a fair days profit after just 30 lawns and run to the local beer barn to bask in their money making glory.

Happy Frog
01-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Good point!
$120.00/Hr should be your minimum and $180.00/Hr is more like it should be...

Lawn-Sharks
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Let me rephrase that:
A 1800 sq ft vinyl sided single story house would be more than fairly priced at $135.00.
It would take me about 60 minutes to clean such a house (including back terrace and front porch) with a nice sparkling finish and smell to it.
That would be $135.00/Hr for my time.
It would take the homeowner about 4 hours to get a lesser quality cleaning and finish with a rental PW (2.7 gal/min) and Home Depot house wash soap.
The homeowner would spend at least one hour to get and return his rental equipment and spend about $65.00 in rental, chemicals and gas...

$120.00/hr is a minimum for pressure washing... Many would even call you a lowballer at that rate...

Well ok . Look at my past post i charge $30hr but if you look back you will see that i charge a flat rate for 1500sq house of $300 and that only took me an hour & 40min to do and they were happy and the house was preped for paint...Different areas get different prices i have 4good friends that have lawn companys we talk all the time and for the area im in they say im on target with my prices because they charge the same so Lowballer hmm i dont think so.but highballer hell no!

Barry M
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't get out of bed for $30 an hour.

Lawn-Sharks
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Ok,now the flip side.
How would you like it if someone showed up in your area and started cutting lawns for $10 each?
They think it's a fair days profit after just 30 lawns and run to the local beer barn to bask in their money making glory.

Well that would suck for me. But i dont get too upset at situations like that because 1.their out of my control. and 2. i try to think that maybe this guys just trying to feed his family and i would rather see someone working for a living than to be on the streets selling drugs or begging for money. and if their @ the local beer barn basking in their money making glory then let them because they wont have money tomorrow to mow lawns. I do my business full time not PT like some people. i have a family and i cant afford to just sit around and say " If i dont get paid top dollar then i wont even do the job " If im mowing an account and i get approached and asked to give a price to do something extra and once i give them the price they can take it or leave! (remember thay asked me i didnt go advertising for pressure washing)And what this boiling down to is at the end of the day is im taking care of my family and im sorry i dont care what you think of me! most of you reading this arnt even legit .these guy should be the focus of attention because most of them are the lowballers running their back door operations fooling people into beliving their legit business!! why dont you confront these people on the street insted of waisting your time writing me.You know who they are.:usflag: P.S.Im not trying to be a smart azz i do see your point and I'll take note and change my prices

squirtgun
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
You add pressure washing on for $30 and hour and whores down the industry I work in fulltime.This is how I feed my family and I try to help other see that if they want to throw a hat in the ring they should at least be doing it for more than beer money.
I can't control the hacks and while I don't focus a lot of time on what they charge,I do make sure to keep tabs on them none the less.They don't compete on the same accounts as we do and they can't offer the same services we do.That doesn't mean I want to pat them on the back for only charging enough to buy their daily 12 pack.
Usually within a year they are out of business,but the aftermath of cheap prices and bad work make it harder for fulltime operators to make a decent living.

Lawn-Sharks
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
You add pressure washing on for $30 and hour and whores down the industry I work in fulltime.This is how I feed my family and I try to help other see that if they want to throw a hat in the ring they should at least be doing it for more than beer money.
I can't control the hacks and while I don't focus a lot of time on what they charge,I do make sure to keep tabs on them none the less.They don't compete on the same accounts as we do and they can't offer the same services we do.That doesn't mean I want to pat them on the back for only charging enough to buy their daily 12 pack.
Usually within a year they are out of business,but the aftermath of cheap prices and bad work make it harder for fulltime operators to make a decent living.

NO! first of all i have explained that i will charge $30hr on a Residential level.but thats for small stuff. PRESSURE WASHING is not my business but if i am asked i will do it! YOU live in Georgia i live in Florida that is a no brainer we live in different states!"DIFFERENT STATES DIFFERENT PRICES" and how do you know what the hell small local pressure washing company are charging in Florida? For all you know for this area this is a competitive price so why dont you stop being a lawn site rambo and confront the LOWBALLERS in you state! and if your ready for a move then come on done to florida and try to peddle that $120hr biz down where i live and see how fast your company starts to do other things to pay the bills hey i might even loan you one of my mowers and then you can chase me around lowballing my prices. Do you shop around cheaper prices or do you pay full price for everything TRUCKS,KIDS CLOTHS,EQUIPMENT,GAS. I bet your family shops at Wal-Mart to save money. Just be thankful you have customers that can afford your prices. Because people like me are the one that help less fortunate customers afford good services. "everyone want champagne..but some can only afford Beer"

Barry M
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I do my business full time not PT like some people. i have a family and i cant afford to just sit around and say " If i don't get paid top dollar then i wont even do the job

I think you are missing the point. If you got paid top dollar then you could afford to just sit around more often and be with your family.

Working 14 hour days just to pay the bills is not worth owning your own business. You might as well go be a wage slave and work for someone else for those prices. You are a business owner, I assume you have the proper insurance, and all the other overhead. You and other business owners deserve to make what they are worth but you'll never make that unless you charge it. Thanks for at least being open-minded. Good luck to ya.

Happy Frog
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
NO! first of all i have explained that i will charge $30hr on a Residential level.but thats for small stuff. PRESSURE WASHING is not my business but if i am asked i will do it! YOU live in Georgia i live in Florida that is a no brainer we live in different states!"DIFFERENT STATES DIFFERENT PRICES" and how do you know what the hell small local pressure washing company are charging in Florida? For all you know for this area this is a competitive price so why dont you stop being a lawn site rambo and confront the LOWBALLERS in you state! and if your ready for a move then come on done to florida and try to peddle that $120hr biz down where i live and see how fast your company starts to do other things to pay the bills hey i might even loan you one of my mowers and then you can chase me around lowballing my prices. Do you shop around cheaper prices or do you pay full price for everything TRUCKS,KIDS CLOTHS,EQUIPMENT,GAS. I bet your family shops at Wal-Mart to save money. Just be thankful you have customers that can afford your prices. Because people like me are the one that help less fortunate customers afford good services. "everyone want champagne..but some can only afford Beer"

I think it is important for you to know that Squirgun is a well known and well respected operator throughout the pressure washing industry.
He has helped many operators in pressure washing forums and is always trying to give the best possible advise to whoever wants to learn the business.
That being said, you may disagree with him, but prices and techniques are discussed all the time on pressure washing forums and he knows all about them... You may have all kind of excuses for pressure washing at $30.00/hr. and he's just telling you that you should put a better value on your work...

squirtgun
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I live in rural Ga. so I can assure you I deal with a lot of customers who think my prices are high.With less than 250k people in my 3 biggest service areas combined I still manage to make good money.Why?I seek out the customer than understand it costs money to run a business and they don't trust their properties to someone charging just enough to pay for their gas and beer.
Yes I have a real good idea what pricing is like in Fl. my best friend owns/operates 1 hour west of you and I know plenty of other PWing contractors throughout Fl. that are making the $100+hr easily.
We write off 10 to 12 free house washes for the elderly yearly and donate services to non-profits all the time.Jobs I could charge decent money for,but would rather see those customers use that money for their organizations mission.
I have seen lawn care guys on this site complain about the part timers,fire fighters and whomever else is cutting into your business because they charge substandard price,but when someone points out you will be doing the same thing to PWing you get defensive.

No matter what myself or anyone else says you will do what you want.You either take the advice given and use it to make money or you don't.At the end of the day I can look in the mirror and know I tried to help you see that PWing has a value above and beyond what you think it has and you refused to believe it.

Don M.
03-20-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree with Scott. Time to explain PWM:clapping: