PDA

View Full Version : 9 hp kohler carb. adjustment.see picture

ant
12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
on my log splitter she runs somewhat fine but when the motor is under load she acts like the choke is on. i think it might be the adjustment.. one thing i did notice was with the filter off when she spits and spudder she spits out fuel out of the opening buy the choke plate.. cleaned the bowl out and it was fine..
what is the starting point on the adjustment? see pic

Restrorob
12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
The low speed (near the mount flange) is 1 1/2 turns out, High speed (below the idle screw is 2 turns.

If it's running rich at high speed as it sounds the high speed adjuster needs to be screwed in to lean the carb out.

You may want to remove both adjusters and shoot some carb & choke spray cleaner with the little straw through both adjuster ports then re-install and adjust as above as a starting point to fine tune from. Fine tune the low speed first then the high speed.

BTW, I believe you have a 8 HP there....

pugs
12-19-2007, 06:07 PM
BTW, I believe you have a 8 HP there....

I will second the motion...mainly because Kohler never had a 9 in the K series.

topsites
12-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd spray all those linkages down with some carb cleaner, maybe use some compressed air and make sure it's really clean.
That light rust might be creating some binding, so then follow up lightly with some wd-40, get the linkages to work smooth.
Just needs a little tlc really, maybe a few more things but she'll run good in no time, them old Kohlers run forever.

ant
12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
well after trying to adjust the carb. and there was no change in the performance i dropped it off to the shop.