PDA

View Full Version : Possible Rear Frame Damage?

Petr51488
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
I was sitting at a red light for a good minute.. 3 cars in front of me.. when this lady smacks into the back of my brand new truck. She must have been going 15-20 mph. Luckily she only hit the square reciever part of the truck. I made her pull up to the bumper just to make sure that she didnt hit the actual bumper. I got out to inspect and see if anything looked cracked underneath. It looked good so i let her go, but it did put a hole in her front bumper (license plate went 1/2 way through her bumper) SHe had a nissan sentra. Now this is a 3/4 ton truck and i don't think anything could have bent, but i just wanted to know from you guys if its at all possible. Has anyone had this same situation? I mean, these things are ment to tow 13k with a decent amount on the tongue. What's your thought on this. I know i should have gotten a police report just to have down the line just incase something did look bent, but i didn't. So what do you think?

lawnspecialties
12-17-2007, 11:12 PM
When you say "square receiver", do you mean the hitch receiver? If so, I'd be concerned about cracks or hairline fractures. A new hitch receiver is only a couple hundred or so for piece of mind. Can you find her to get her to pay it?

ALarsh
12-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I guess the only thing you can do now is inspect for damage. Did you get her name and number?

Stillwater
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Check carefully for cracked welding in good bright light

Petr51488
12-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Unfortunatly i didn't take any of her info. Nothing was damaged to my bumper, which was what i was mainly worried about. I looked underneath today around 11:00 pm(happened around 10:30pm), and didn't see anything. I just figured that with all the things people put these trucks though, towing wise, that a bump wouldn't really do much. I know i was wrong on my part by not taking any of her info, but like i said, nothing was scratched on my bumper so i said it was ok and let her go. I will inspect tomorrow.

Petr51488
12-18-2007, 12:13 AM
When you say "square receiver", do you mean the hitch receiver? If so, I'd be concerned about cracks or hairline fractures. A new hitch receiver is only a couple hundred or so for piece of mind. Can you find her to get her to pay it?

Yes the hitch receiver. I guess from now on i should keep my 3 ball hitch on there so in the future if someone does hit me, they'll hit the ball, not the bumper. I usually keep this one off only because it sticks out about a foot and a half from the bumper. Its one of those ball hitches that extends out a bit, then down, then out again for the 3 ball sizes. I actually had someone tap my hitch at the Burger King drive through, but didnt even get out to look because i had the hitch on there. You would think that with this really bright red color people would see me. I swear, their like deer in headlights when they see it.

Az Gardener
12-18-2007, 12:14 AM
I was rear ended in my 2000 1/2 ton Ford. Same situation except they were doing about 35-40 in a mini van. Screwed up a lot but not the frame. I had to have the whole bed replaced. You should always get contact information in any type of collision.

Petr51488
12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
I was rear ended in my 2000 1/2 ton Ford. Same situation except they were doing about 35-40 in a mini van. Screwed up a lot but not the frame. I had to have the whole bed replaced. You should always get contact information in any type of collision.

Sorry to hear that. This wasn't as bad as your situation. If i had so much as a scratch on my bumper, the police would have been called (which i know i should have done this time) and info would be exchanged. What sucks is that i have the backup sensors on my bumper, so to replace the bumper would be big $$$$ She was doing maybe 10-15mph. My head didn't jerk and hit the stearing wheel, but i felt it.

Stillwater
12-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Unfortunatly i didn't take any of her info. Nothing was damaged to my bumper, which was what i was mainly worried about. I looked underneath today around 11:00 pm(happened around 10:30pm), and didn't see anything. I just figured that with all the things people put these trucks though, towing wise, that a bump wouldn't really do much. I know i was wrong on my part by not taking any of her info, but like i said, nothing was scratched on my bumper so i said it was ok and let her go. I will inspect tomorrow.

Dont beat yourself up over letting her go........

TXNSLighting
12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
i highly doubt anything was damaged. these trucks should be built nice and tough to handle little stuff like that. and those receivers are built quite strong.

Kepple Services
12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I have a Ford F350 dully, and was hit sitting still at about 30mph. There was no damage to my truck except for the bumper pad... Her car, well it had to be towed away, it was not going anywhere. I did have her insurance company replace the hitch, and ball mount. I tow my T300 on a 25' 24K trailer and wasent taking any chances. I NEVER take the ball mount off the truck for that very reason. Its the 4 position, 3 ball and pintle style mount. To say it saved my truck is evident, and it did quite the number on her car. It was a nissan sentra BTW, and she was only 17 and talking on a cell phone.

br549oicu8
12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
A few years ago a lady rear ended one of our truck/trailers. She totalled her car and wasn't hurt but had to be extricated. The rear of the trailer (ramps) had to be rebuilt and the hitch was literally ripped apart from the frame of the truck. Luckily it was just the hitch and not the frame.
We had another lady driving into the sun hit another of our open trailers while we were mowing and it was legally parked in the street. She ended up going up the ramp and flipping her car onto it's top in the road next to the trailer. The trailer was totalled and did $2800 damage to my 2000 F-250. Her car was totalled obviously. My guy saw it happen and was SOOOOO lucky he wasn't loading or unloading the mower at the time. He had to pull her out of her car. The airbag went off and the dust from that made her believe her car was on fire.
Let's hope I have no moare of those incidents!!!

Buddy

grassmanak
12-18-2007, 01:32 PM
i got hit by a mini van doing 65-75mph, out the bed of my truck into my back seat. 25K in damage later, oh wait it was totaled.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-18-2007, 01:33 PM
we used to have a 16K # ball/pintle combo that set out almost 12" from the back of our bumper, I just wouldnt even bother getting out when someone would rear end me, but ive never really been hit that hard

SimonCX
12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear that but you really should of called the cops. I have a family friend who the same thing happened to him and a week later the cops came to his door because the lady called the cops and said that he backed into her. Nothing came of it, but he had to make a couple trips to the police station. I figure the lady got home and looked that her car had damage and didn't want to pay for it. Even if there's no damage you should have called and got a police report. Insurance would not know up unless someone filed a claim. Without a police report it's your word against hers.

topsites
12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah it is a little too late now but...

Get up under the back of the truck and inspect where the hitch bolts or connects to the frame, you will see the hitch and that should be ok but also look closely at the parts of the frame it hooks to.

All you can do, as a rule if your trailer isn't hanging or trailing any different you're probably ok, do check for cracks or bends thou, cracks mostly.

Sorry to hear that but you really should of called the cops. I have a family friend who the same thing happened to him and a week later the cops came to his door because the lady called the cops and said that he backed into her. Nothing came of it, but he had to make a couple trips to the police station.

Yeah I had that *%&^ happen to me years ago, same exact thing except in my case the cops did show but I decided to let it go (so no ticket) and then like a week later I got a call from the InsCo. Several calls and a few choice words later I finally convinced these people to let it go...

Folks just ain't right in the head, next one rears me gets a ticket, damage to either or both vehicles or not.

Petr51488
12-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear that but you really should of called the cops. I have a family friend who the same thing happened to him and a week later the cops came to his door because the lady called the cops and said that he backed into her. Nothing came of it, but he had to make a couple trips to the police station. I figure the lady got home and looked that her car had damage and didn't want to pay for it. Even if there's no damage you should have called and got a police report. Insurance would not know up unless someone filed a claim. Without a police report it's your word against hers.

You are 100% right. I know i should have done so, but i didn't. Next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) i will.

GravelyNut
12-18-2007, 06:11 PM
My Chevy 3500 dually got rear ended by a Dodge Ram 1500. Damage to mine was about $1300. Damage to his was a lot higher. No frame damage to mine but did get a new bumper, tailgate repair and repaint, new trailer connector, as a result. The receiver hitch had an adjustable hitch in it at the time so I'll leave it to you to figure out how far back his bumper and grill were shoved for him to hit the tailgate.

gorrell
12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I guess from now on i should keep my 3 ball hitch on there so in the future if someone does hit me, they'll hit the ball, not the bumper. .

In most states it's now illegal to have a ball in the receiver when one is not towing anything. Probably something the insurance company lobbies came up with..................Lynn

GravelyNut
12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
In most states it's now illegal to have a ball in the receiver when one is not towing anything. Probably something the insurance company lobbies came up with..................Lynn

Huh? I haven't seen anything on such and was advised by my ins. agent and the EMT people that came to the scene that they also keep one in theirs for the same reason. To protect their rears. And the ins. agent for the other guy showed up with one in his also.

lifetree
12-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Best thing to do looking for hair line fractures ... you might even get a flourescent light to hold up to the area of impact !!

Petr51488
12-18-2007, 07:03 PM

That's one rule i definitely wont follow. The ball is what will keep me from possibly getting hit in the back. That bumper isn't cheap either.

Thanks for all the responses by the way!!