12-18-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/av/of_the_year/112_2008toty_toyota_tundra_winner

Hee Hee Hee

grassmanak
12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
pretty bad when mistubishi has to sponser it though

Marek
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
After Toyota paid off motortrend they didnt have enough cash left !

Guzman Properties
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Did you notice that came from a woman driver!!!!!!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
12-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, They Proved That It Gives You A Nice Plush Ride While Traveling Across A Bumpy Desert Road. Watch Out Detroit.

Still A Yuppy Version Of A Truck To Me. Lets Load A Pallet Of Pavers In The Back Of It. Oh, I'm Sorry, You Can't Do That. Well How About Two Yards Of Soil, Opps Can't Do That Either. Oh, I Know, Hey Betty, You Want To Help Me Hook Up The Jet Skis...

See There Is A Use For A Tundra.

HenryB
12-18-2007, 03:43 PM
As the proud owner of a new F150 I have to admit the Tundra destroys it in every category especially towing. The Tundra's just are too much money with no incentives or rebates.

Exact Rototilling
12-18-2007, 04:17 PM
As the proud owner of a new F150 I have to admit the Tundra destroys it in every category especially towing. The Tundra's just are too much money with no incentives or rebates.

If my memory is correct Toyota ran a Tundra promotion with 0% late last summer.

GravelyGuy
12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
They have incentives they are just not as good as domestics. They also don't seem to be near as willing to come way down off of sticker price.

When I got mine I had an option of $2500 rebate or 1.9% for 60, I took the 1.9%. If I would have bought a week or so earlier I could have had 0%:cry:

for anyone that wants to talk trash about it, I'm just too tired of dealing with ignorance to argue. I just say go drive it, tow with it, throw whatever the hell you want at it and see what you think. My only complaint is a weak tailgate design.

HenryB
12-18-2007, 04:34 PM
If my memory is correct Toyota ran a Tundra promotion with 0% late last summer.

True, but the sticker price was high. Their atitude was no haggling because someone else will pay sticker. They are 100% right Tundras are selling fast around here.

LindblomRJ
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
The Tundra has been a popular pickup and looks like it will continue to be popular. For the average person it will be a great pickup. For those who use a pickup to ply their trade - depending on the the trade it might be a good pickup or you need a heavier vehicle 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

corey4671
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
guess the award makes it a little easier to swallow that $600+/ month payment for a half ton truck :laugh:

Exact Rototilling
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I think the Tundra qualifies for the no haggle Costco auto buyer program. Some times there are limitation on which models. It's extremely difficult to match this discount when you haggle.

You call the Costco auto buyer hotline they queue you up with the designated Costco labeled handler at the dealer.

Anyhow the Tundra has caught my attention yet I still may consider a Chevy or GMC 2500HD

There has been some talk of a 3/4 ton HD Tundra . . . we will see

Grass Happens
12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
My girlfriend works at a Toyota dealership. The 3/4 truck is going to happen, i think 09 was the year. 09 will also have a diesel in the half-ton version, I'm assuming the 3/4 ton will as well. I agree, that thing is Uber-expensive, but its a Toyota. Most import companies don't offer incentives, or at least haven't until recently. If cost was even closer, i would pick that over an f-150 in a heartbeat.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-18-2007, 06:34 PM

so how is MT saying they have excellent value and .. Ive heard of a couple guys buying them because they were much cheaper than an F150 or silverado 1500hd? wtf

toyota thinks their the shiat and dont offer anything descent to grab more buyers into their vehicles, but why would they? everything in the US thinks toyota and honda are gods gift of boring cars already

docholiday
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
you guys out there looking for tundras, go to toyota.com and type in 49008 for a zip code. prtty good incentives i think

SimonCX
12-18-2007, 07:18 PM
If I needed a half ton truck I would consider a tundra or titan, but for a heavy work truck they still have a long way to go. I love to see a toyota 1 ton diesel basic work truck, not a luxury car interior. Too many soccer moms are driving them and want all the comfort luxuries so I doubt that will happen.

LindblomRJ
12-18-2007, 07:27 PM
People complain about the initial cost of purchase. If you are going to own the vehicle for long term more than 3 years your cost would be lowered. Also one should consider resale if you do feel the need to trade the vehicle in.

GravelyNut
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Funny how they could pick it for 2008 when it had a big safety problem in 2004-2006 models and were recalled in 2007. Lower ball joints that led to toyota recalling over one half million 2004-2007 Sequoias and 2004-2006 Tundras.

GravelyGuy
12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I am not going to take the time to price it out on here, but I remember doing it all before I bought my truck and for a similar ford or chevy, it costs more than the Tundra. The Tundra comes standard with all power, auto tranny etc.

You just end up getting the domestics dealers to come way off of MSRP making them much less expensive.

As far as the rebates go, they are offering a $4k rebate in my area right now, but it is for the 4.7 V8 model.

TXNSLighting
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
i could care less what motor trend thinks. they never have anything good to say, and half the time have no idea what their talking about. alot of them call the cummins a cummings...and theyve mentioned a 98 super duty (which doesnt exhist) sorry but they just arent credible for me. diesel power is my source!!

GravelyNut
12-18-2007, 09:01 PM
i could care less what motor trend thinks. they never have anything good to say, and half the time have no idea what their talking about. alot of them call the cummins a cummings...and theyve mentioned a 98 super duty (which doesnt exhist) sorry but they just arent credible for me. diesel power is my source!!

F Super Dutys were made in 1998. More than one source points to 1997 as being the first year for the F Super Dutys. Others quote March of 1998 as the start of the F-250 Super Duty line. The ones in March were called 1999 models but were really 98 1/2 models. You could also get the cab and chassis in a 1998 motor home.

TXNSLighting
12-18-2007, 09:31 PM
yeh i know, but there is no such thing as a 98 super duty powerstroke. thats what im getting at. and 97 was not the first year for f-super dutys...those have been around since 92. regaurdless when they came out. its like calling the 08 super dutys 07's...

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
12-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I agree that Motor Trend is crap. their famed "Truck of the Year" is always which ever truck has made the most changes since the previous year. You never see them really putting a truck through the paces. They take it out on a bumpy road to make sure you don't spill your starbucks and then tell everyone it is gods gift to the public for the next year.

LindblomRJ
12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
yeh i know, but there is no such thing as a 98 super duty powerstroke. thats what im getting at. and 97 was not the first year for f-super dutys...those have been around since 92. regaurdless when they came out. its like calling the 08 super dutys 07's...

Try 1987. That was the first year for the superduty.

cutedge
12-18-2007, 11:08 PM
I agree with texanlawnandlandscape, Motor Trend doesn't know trucks, they test cars. The new Tundras seem like they're decent, they are just the ugliest pickup I've ever seen!

Grass Happens
12-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I agree with texanlawnandlandscape, Motor Trend doesn't know trucks, they test cars. The new Tundras seem like they're decent, they are just the ugliest pickup I've ever seen!

Finally, somebody else who agrees with me! All the new trucks are ugly. The fords are passable, and chevy is about the best of an ascetically un-pleasing bunch.

Quality Cuts PLS
12-18-2007, 11:41 PM
There were earlier "Super Dutys". It wasn't a F-Series Super Duty bodystyle, it was a package, a F350 with a solid beam axle on 2wd's & 4wd's

TXNSLighting
12-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Try 1987. That was the first year for the superduty.

sorry, 1987 the last ones ive seen were the 92-97 body. i havent seen any 87-91 body f-super duty's around here. i really dont pay attention to that body style cuz im not a big fan of it.

TXNSLighting
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Finally, somebody else who agrees with me! All the new trucks are ugly. The fords are passable, and chevy is about the best of an ascetically un-pleasing bunch.

i agree 100% with you to. i think its the worst lookin truck on the market. i think the toyota dealer here agrees. their puttin a 6 inch lift with 35's on the majority of em to make em look better. and its helpin a little bit, but its still a tundra...o well. but i have to disagree with you on the chevy. thats the second ugliest truck out. the GMC looks great tho.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
have any of you seen the video where i think it was the ford ceo or engineer or someone like that walks up to the toyota booth at an auto show where they had a tundra frame exposed on a stand, and he started to pick apart every detail of it that Toyota had been heavily marketing.

and motor trend has said on several occasions when they test larger suv's and some trucks that this is just an overview of the vehicle because they dont have much expertise in trucks which is why they have the other division Truck Trend. but i agree that their tests are pretty weak, ive had worse encounters with our trucks daily driving.

lets see how these trucks handle plowing, thats a strain on a truck's frame, engine and transmission.

LindblomRJ
12-19-2007, 09:24 AM
sorry, 1987 the last ones ive seen were the 92-97 body. i havent seen any 87-91 body f-super duty's around here. i really dont pay attention to that body style cuz im not a big fan of it.

No problem. Seen some tire company - the farm repair trucks were the old style super duty. There were not that many. I think the official ttile was F450

Grass Happens
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
i agree 100% with you to. i think its the worst lookin truck on the market. i think the toyota dealer here agrees. their puttin a 6 inch lift with 35's on the majority of em to make em look better. and its helpin a little bit, but its still a tundra...o well. but i have to disagree with you on the chevy. thats the second ugliest truck out. the GMC looks great tho.

Yea, sorry I ment the GMC. If only you could get a duramax on a 25-3500 with a solid axle...

TXNSLighting
12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Yea, sorry I ment the GMC. If only you could get a duramax on a 25-3500 with a solid axle...

how perfect would that be...:cool2::weightlifter:

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
^i am soo waiting for that day to come...
i wont buy another gm truck for that reason alone.

TXNSLighting
12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
yeh gm seems to be to concerned with ride quality...ITS A TRUCK!!! put that solid front axle under there and give us a real work truck!!!

mhussey
12-20-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm going to play devils advocate here.

Why do you need a solid front axle anyway? What is the structural advantages a solid front axle has over an A arm type front end? What makes a solid front end better than A-arm type?

TXNSLighting
12-20-2007, 10:45 AM
the quality. its a more secure front end. not as prone to failure as straight axle. and simplistic to.

Grass Happens
12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm going to play devils advocate here.

Why do you need a solid front axle anyway? What is the structural advantages a solid front axle has over an A arm type front end? What makes a solid front end better than A-arm type?

Much heavier duty, most A-arms (even on one-tons) are a stamped-forged U-channel, or thinner boxed manufacture. Ball joints, flex points etc are both more numerous, and weaker then on a comparable straight axle truck due to limitations on diesign and space. Also IFS trucks use CV joints protected from contamination by a fairly easy to rupture boot. All half-tons now are IFS, except for the dodge mega cab 1500 witch is just a re badged 2500, for some sort of California law. That's why i wonder when i see a half-ton with a plow on it for a real snow-removal company. Yes they can hold the weight, but the drive line is weaker as is the suspension, and your going to be eating stuff up. I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, and there are exceptions to every rule, but... My favorite was an 04 1500 with the 4.8 V-8 and an 8' boss super-duty. He didn't even have to lower the plow to push anything, the truck sagged so much. The plow installer told him that he wouldn't warranty anything, and he was an idiot for trying it.

Exact Rototilling
12-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm really disappointed that Toyota didn't make the Crew-Max Tundra in a 164.6" wheel base. They did with the double cab? What gives? Toyota really sacrificed funtion here IMO. Hope they fix this for 2008+.

Hey my 85 Toyota extra cab has a 6 foot bed and that is really the minimum for a working truck IMHO. Even 6 feet is short - 7 is better.

I just saw a new GMC truck today and it looked like it had been attacked by an ugly stick. I had no clue what type of vehicle it was until it passed me and I saw the GMC emblem. I really prefer the lines of the older Fords, Chevy and even Dodges from the 90's. Toyota Trucks and 4runers from 1984-1995 looked great then they went down hill in looks after that. I really don't think any of the new Trucks from any maker look that great. They just have to grow on you I guess. I believe it's important to have a presentable and professional looking vehicle. Will your client care if you new GMC is ugly? No.

I'm planning on keeping my 85 Toyota till it dies or when I absolutely need a bigger trailer than 6x12 or 6x14 single axle. Since I have no plans on hauling much more than my current equipment for 2008 it will work. Work well? - not really. Enough power for towing? - barely. No payments or interest. So what if it only gets 10-14 mpg when towing.

Grass Happens
12-21-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm really disappointed that Toyota didn't make the Crew-Max Tundra in a 164.6" wheel base. They did with the double cab? What gives? Toyota really sacrificed funtion here IMO. Hope they fix this for 2008+.

Hey my 85 Toyota extra cab has a 6 foot bed and that is really the minimum for a working truck IMHO. Even 6 feet is short - 7 is better.

I just saw a new GMC truck today and it looked like it had been attacked by an ugly stick. I had no clue what type of vehicle it was until it passed me and I saw the GMC emblem. I really prefer the lines of the older Fords, Chevy and even Dodges from the 90's. Toyota Trucks and 4runers from 1984-1995 looked great then they went down hill in looks after that. I really don't think any of the new Trucks from any maker look that great. They just have to grow on you I guess. I believe it's important to have a presentable and professional looking vehicle. Will your client care if you new GMC is ugly? No.

I'm planning on keeping my 85 Toyota till it dies or when I absolutely need a bigger trailer than 6x12 or 6x14 single axle. Since I have no plans on hauling much more than my current equipment for 2008 it will work. Work well? - not really. Enough power for towing? - barely. No payments or interest. So what if it only gets 10-14 mpg when towing.

Which is why i still have my puke green ranger with moon visor....

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
reason why im personally banking on a solid axle setup on a truck is because of the plowing we do.

just to consider putting a blizzard 810 on our chevy, we swapped out the coils for some extra heavy duty coils, timbrens, new shocks, 1.5" coil spacers and taller tires, yet it still sags a bit under that almost 1000 pound plow. and when we raise it up to stack a heavy load the front end squats even lower.

ive seen videos of solid axle 3/4 tons raise an 810 with not even a bit of squat.

and thats our coil sprung c3500, dont get me started on the torsion setup in our 2500hd, granted its alot stronger than our dump.

Grass Happens
12-21-2007, 12:23 PM
How much did all that cost to do to your chev?

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-21-2007, 03:55 PM
new coils- 200 shipped
shocks- 60 for the pair
spacers- 70 for the pair
timbrens- 140
new alt- 100
Four (Rear) BFG AllTerrain KO's 235/85/R16 - $140 a piece + mount and balance

got the spacers+tires from 4 wheel offroad parts+mount and balance, installation and everything cost just about 830 there.

the truck still needs new tie rods on both sides and a new idler arm assembly and pitman arm.

its making money right now, its a great truck to plow lots with can move a TON of snow!

Exact Rototilling
12-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Tundra Dually 8.0-liter Hino inline-6 engine

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/sema/2007/toyotatundradieselduallyprojecttruck.html

:clapping::weightlifter::weightlifter::clapping:

Grass Happens
12-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Intresting demo truck, but i doubt anything like it will enter production.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-21-2007, 06:39 PM
8.0L only putting out 745lb ft.?? weak.

256hp with 22.5" rims?? yea thats gonna work well on the highway, any of the big three diesels will outgun this thing on the road no prob.

i know its just a project truck and it more than likely wont see production, but taking a medium duty chassis and throwing a tundra body on it isnt that impressive.

why shove such a massive engine into that thing with lackluster power numbers when so many guys are tuning their 6.0-6.7L diesels to run 10 sec quarter miles with 1000+ Ft. Lbs.

TXNSLighting
12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
that truck sucks...

Capemay Eagle
12-22-2007, 11:02 PM
The only reason that girly POS tundra made MT truck of the year is because of all the add money jokeota spends in their mags. The long list of problems that POS has had and it is truck of the year, give me a break..Toyota is a joke anymore..

Grass Happens
12-22-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't know if the tundra has had any more teething problems then any american truck with a new roll-out. I personally hope they are sucessful, and everybody else pulls their heads out of their butts and starts building better vehciles. I've owned trucks by the big 3 and toyota, and they were all old and all beat up. But that toyota cost me 250$ with 220k miles and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. I sold it a year later for 400$ and the kid still has it. If their junk is that good...

Grass Happens
01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/365/article/Ford_F150_and_Toyota_Tundra__A_Closer_Look.html

There are some interesting points, if you care...

lawn king
01-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I read all the reviews in motor trend today, the tundra beat out the GM's (in their own words) by a shade. The silverado was motor trend truck of the year 2007. They were blown away by the allison/duramax in fact they called it (quote) A heavy haulers dream. They love the new style and the interiors. The new fords have superior towing capacity but that was all, MT disliked their ride, handeling and thought their interiors were (quote) too busy. Dodge was not even in the running. The new motor trend is on the newstand now. The allison/duramax is a dream truck, and its truck of the year in my book & driveway!

BrandonV
01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
well I can defiantly say when I buy a work truck ride is by far the most important thing i look for

ALarsh
01-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I will go to a toyota dealership once the 3/4 ton comes out. Not until then though..

lyube
01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
have any of you seen the video where i think it was the ford ceo or engineer or someone like that walks up to the toyota booth at an auto show where they had a tundra frame exposed on a stand, and he started to pick apart every detail of it that Toyota had been heavily marketing.

and motor trend has said on several occasions when they test larger suv's and some trucks that this is just an overview of the vehicle because they dont have much expertise in trucks which is why they have the other division Truck Trend. but i agree that their tests are pretty weak, ive had worse encounters with our trucks daily driving.

lets see how these trucks handle plowing, thats a strain on a truck's frame, engine and transmission.

Yeah, I've seen it. Have you ever heard of the Unimog? It's a german made military truck designed to carry 2 tons over off road and on road terrain. They're very popular with off roaders...the frame flex on the unimog with no load in the bed is insane. It is capable of keeping all 4 wheels (some have 6) on the ground in a lot of offroad situations because the frame flexes. It's a very tough truck..it only has I think an 80 hp gas engine and an optional 130hp OMD diesel.

To me the Tundra is the most capable half ton out there, but would I use it to tow 3,4, or 5 tons often? No. I'd get a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford or Dodge. The tundra would work great for those who run 2-3 ZTRs and have a 14 foot trailer.

Toyota makes quality trucks...unfortunately they know it, and charge accordingly.

RedMax Man
01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
The 2008 Ford F-450 pickup should have been the MT truck of the year!:usflag:

I'd make the Tundra a Japanese truck of the year.:rolleyes:

lyube
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM

No way, f250 hands down.

lawn king
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Everyone should read the MT reviews. The first run of 08 tundras had crank shaft failures, torque converter problems & now widespread tailgate complaints? Just for the record the f450 finished dead last, all the fords came in behind the GM's. This is all fact from motor trend, not MHO!

Exact Rototilling
01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
This thread has lasted a long time. :dizzy:

It need to be re-titled why to NOT buy a half ton and get a 3/4 ton instead. :hammerhead:

I'm planning on plowing snow next winter and the Chevy/GMC 2500HD with the new Alison Duramax combo gets my vote for a new truck.:weightlifter:

Capemay Eagle
01-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Toyota can payoff Motor Trend all they want, Ford is still the king with 30 years at #1, everyone is trying to outdo Ford. Ford will just have to retaliate. They will be launching the 09 in Detroit this weekend. Sorry but Ford is the king and always will be..

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/industrials/article/crossovers-lincoln-highlight-fords-2007-sales-performance-growth-expected-2008_423010_6.html

lawn king
01-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I can see where this thread is heading, kubota or john deere, coke or pepsi, ford or GM, im bailing out now, everyone have a nice day, even you poor dodge owners! :drinkup:

SiteSolutions
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
FYI Moto-Rooter is NOT a serious automotive publication. It's like "Seventeen" magazine with cars in it instead of boys and makeup tips. At least that's how it was the last time I bothered to look at one over a decade ago.

Car and Driver is way more versatile and way more fun to read.

meets1
01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I have to chim in here cuz this now official - ford, gm, chevy, ford, dogde, toyota.

Ford at number one is true - but count GMC and chevy and I bet there is a 2 to 1 advantage. Go GM.

Dodge - they have been bailed out to many time and without the cummins, they would be no where.

Toyota - I own a highlander. I did look at the explorer, evony, arcade, tahoa. Highlander hands down. Ride, price, milage, everything. Now I tow nothing. It carries my two little boys and my wife - who 95% of time is the driver. There truck - for a half ton out there - is probably the best 1/2 ton out - Gm is very close second. There is toyota/Gm dealer within 1/2 hour drive - they are selling toyota trucks at a rate of 2 -1 vs GM. I beleive it cuz I see alot of tundra's all over the place. IF a 3/4 ton comes out in diesel - I will look!

For the record - i just nought a new 08 D-max GMC HD crew cab. 240 miles so far - AWESOME!

lyube
01-12-2008, 09:02 PM
The thing about the tundra...for the same price on the limited/crew cab models you could get a decent 3/4 ton domestic diesel or gas truck...

Ramairfreak98ss
01-15-2008, 12:10 AM
The thing about the tundra...for the same price on the limited/crew cab models you could get a decent 3/4 ton domestic diesel or gas truck...
Thats exactly what i was thinking, 48k for a half ton gasser lol, get real.

Ramairfreak98ss
01-15-2008, 12:12 AM
well I can defiantly say when I buy a work truck ride is by far the most important thing i look for

Ride? , your joking im guessing lol. Unless your work truck drives 400 mile trips one way and back the next day as your daily job :p You want ride, go get a caddy or somethin like that. Ill admit, my F350 dampens well for its size/weight/capacity, but its stiff, empty it shimmys over even the littlest pothole or larger bump in the road, then again, its not made to ride like a caddy, its made to pull 10-20k trailers and carry 5k in the back.

Ramairfreak98ss
01-15-2008, 12:15 AM

lol, i agree, how do you compare 1 ton diesels to half ton gas anyway? should be seperate categories, not just "truck of the year" .. Your market for daily driver 1/2 ton pickups is none the same as the 1 ton work trucks. If your looking into a diesel with a real auto to pull heavy loads, your not looking at toyotas period. Your neighbor with his fancy house and nice work attire looks for those

the 08 F450 is by far the biggest/baddest consumer "pickup" truck out there though. I have to admit, i hate the new front styling, dont prefer the interiors, but after i see some dually crew cabs going by now with 20" rubber on em stock, theyre looking pretty nice now:)

GravelyGuy
01-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Thats exactly what i was thinking, 48k for a half ton gasser lol, get real.

My truck was $33,400 at 1.9% financing. Go price competitive domestics. Nobody has the right to judge until they give the Tundra a try. :hammerhead:

The gas mileage that 6.4 gets in the F450 is not even realistic, not even for a work truck. I know 2 people(farmers) with a total of 3 ford 6.4's and they both complain of the mileage. I've heard a lot of good thing about the new Duramax, but I don't personally know anyone that has one.

Scag48
01-15-2008, 03:45 AM
These threads are hilarious, nobody has a clue what the real facts are. As a consumer, you're an idiot if you don't shop around and look at what else MAY be better than what you're currently buying. I've owned a couple different makes of trucks and every time I went to buy something else I shopped them all. Throwing on your blinders and not shopping every time you purchase a vehicle and going back to the same place you bought your last truck is completely moronic. That's like getting only one bid to have your lawn cut. Would you just assume that the first bid you got was the best combination of services offered, price, and value? If you answered yes, read no further, it's apparent that you like throwing money away. How would you know that you're getting the best deal? You wouldn't. I'm willing to bet that way more than half the Toyota bashers have never even driven, sat in, or even looked at a Toyota. How would you know what it's like? You wouldn't. If you did and it didn't strike you as a vehicle to suit your needs, does that make it a bad vehicle for somebody else? No. I just laugh when "grown men" post on these forums with replies like "That truck sucks" when they've never even driven one. Do you really think that would be a strong argument against the vehicle's actual faults and shortcomings or is it your shortsided and less than professional opinion?

Fact of the matter is that the Tundra is a well built truck. There are issues that do exist, but if you think Ford, GM, or Dodge don't have problems, you are smoking something I need to get my hands on. My buddy is a tech at a Ford dealership and he works on those "highly regarded" 6.4 diesels that everyone raves about. Problem is, they're great when they run, they put down some decent power, but if you so happen to get one that likes to be a PITA, good luck. Not entirely Ford's fault, half the crap that creates the issues are typically related to emissions reduction systems. When these types of changes are made, there are bound to be new issues. However, Ford hasn't nailed them down yet and my buddy sees quite a few 6.4's weekly.

The difference between Toyota and any of the big three is that Toyota works harder than any other manufacturer to build an absolutely perfect vehicle, every time, and if they don't they will go leaps and bounds out of their way to fix their mistakes. This is the Japanese way. A history lesson will tell us that after we bombed Japan in good 'ol WWII, we sent ourselves back to rebuild their country, thus introducing ISO 9000 standards. The Japanese have stuck to this standard of perfect manufacturing and have taken it to a new level to guarantee absolute quality. This is why all high end electronic anything is built in Japan, there simply isn't a US company who can guarantee that 99% of new TV's coming off the assembly line will be completely problem free. In 10 years, Toyota will surpass Ford, guaranteed. The amount of unhappy Ford owners vs. unhappy Toyota owners is a pretty big difference in favor of Toyota.

The even bigger joke is that while Toyota is based in Japan, they're building more cars in the US than anyone else. The parts are built in Japan and shipped HERE for assembly. That is a fact, like it or not.

lyube
01-15-2008, 04:20 AM
My truck was $33,400 at 1.9% financing. Go price competitive domestics. Nobody has the right to judge until they give the Tundra a try. :hammerhead:

The gas mileage that 6.4 gets in the F450 is not even realistic, not even for a work truck. I know 2 people(farmers) with a total of 3 ford 6.4's and they both complain of the mileage. I've heard a lot of good thing about the new Duramax, but I don't personally know anyone that has one.

Gravely guy,

Do you have more pics of your truck?

If you could drop me a PM..oh, they dont have that here....

Some questions for you. If you could answer them I'd appreciate it :)..I'm a truck junky, I drool over trucks.

1-What is your real world MPG, loaded and unloaded? (you have the 5.7 right?)

2-Any problems so far and how many miles?

3-Does your Tundra have trouble with your trailer all loaded out?

4-How do you like the 6speed transmission?

Thanks a ton.

TXNSLighting
01-15-2008, 09:36 AM

i took your advice and went and drove a tundra...and guess what! i still dont like it. didnt have the power everyone claims it has, and man it felt so cheap! if it had a diesel in it...i would buy a half ton dodge gas engine with 130,000 miles before i bought it! and you all know how i feel about dodge...

GravelyGuy
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Gravely guy,

Do you have more pics of your truck?

If you could drop me a PM..oh, they dont have that here....

Some questions for you. If you could answer them I'd appreciate it :)..I'm a truck junky, I drool over trucks.

1-What is your real world MPG, loaded and unloaded? (you have the 5.7 right?)

2-Any problems so far and how many miles?

3-Does your Tundra have trouble with your trailer all loaded out?

4-How do you like the 6speed transmission?

Thanks a ton.

I can get you pictures of anything you want. Check out this link for exterior pics. If you need more let me know. I will also throw up some pics of my exhaust I just had put on. Sounds awesome. Flowmaster 50 series SUV. Not to loud and not to soft, deep rumble, just perfect.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199465

I have the 5.7 engine and anyone who is not impressed with the power must be smoking something. Seriously I test drove EVERYTHING before I got this truck and the only thing that even felt close was the Duramax and the 6.2L Sierra Denali which is a sweet ride I must say. I know 0-60 is not important to you guys, but I'm happy to say the Tundra is much faster than both of them. I was 0-60 in like 6.5 at 1,000 miles. My truck seems to have opened up even more after about 3500 miles or so. I would bet I'm 0-60 in 6.1-6.2 seconds now with no mods other than exhaust. Again I realize this is not what makes a truck, but it's always a benefit to be able to go fast and stop quick.

MPG:
City Unloaded- 14-15
City Loaded- 11-12
Highway Unloaded- 17-18
Highway Loaded- ???

I do not drive like a maniac by any means or like a grandma, just normal. Most of the time!

I am just shy of 5,000 miles and I have had zero problems. The only time I've been back to the dealer was to get a free oil change at 1,000 miles and to get my tailgate repainted from the jackasses at Ziebart. You can't close a tailgate with a wrench in your hand and expect not to scratch it. The truck was like three days old.:rolleyes: My only legit complaint is with the tailgate. They put this cheesy spring assist/lower thing in there and to do it they shaved weight off and made it weak. It would not hold up to continuos loading and unloading of heavy stuff like a motorcycle. This isn't a problem for me because I use my trailer for the dirty work. I see no benefit to hauling a bunch of heavy crap in my bed that is going to dent and scratch when I have a trailer for that.

The way that this thing tows is what I like the best about it. It pulls my 5-6,000 lb trailer with no trouble at all. The brakes are simply top notch IMO. The best factory brakes that I've seen by far. It handles great under load. Take a look at the driveshaft on this truck, this thing is all business when it comes to towing.

I have not had any trouble with the 6 speed tranny, but I have heard of some people having trouble with the torque converter which causes a rumble effect in the tranny. It is being replaced under warranty and a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty to back it up. My transmission shifts smooth as silk. Once again, I'm not trying to butter this thing up, but it shifts so smooth loaded or unloaded.

Let me know if you need pics of anything else. Oh and Texanlawnandlandscape, they must have given you the V6. They knew you couldn't handle the 5.7:laugh: J/K

TXNSLighting
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
maybe so... i wish it was the v-6. it was fast, not as fast as everyone says it is. the f150 isnt that much slower. niether is the titan or silverado. so yeh. im still not sold. ill stick with my Fords and GMs.

lyube
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I can get you pictures of anything you want. Check out this link for exterior pics. If you need more let me know. I will also throw up some pics of my exhaust I just had put on. Sounds awesome. Flowmaster 50 series SUV. Not to loud and not to soft, deep rumble, just perfect.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199465

I have the 5.7 engine and anyone who is not impressed with the power must be smoking something. Seriously I test drove EVERYTHING before I got this truck and the only thing that even felt close was the Duramax and the 6.2L Sierra Denali which is a sweet ride I must say. I know 0-60 is not important to you guys, but I'm happy to say the Tundra is much faster than both of them. I was 0-60 in like 6.5 at 1,000 miles. My truck seems to have opened up even more after about 3500 miles or so. I would bet I'm 0-60 in 6.1-6.2 seconds now with no mods other than exhaust. Again I realize this is not what makes a truck, but it's always a benefit to be able to go fast and stop quick.

MPG:
City Unloaded- 14-15
City Loaded- 11-12
Highway Unloaded- 17-18
Highway Loaded- ???

I do not drive like a maniac by any means or like a grandma, just normal. Most of the time!

I am just shy of 5,000 miles and I have had zero problems. The only time I've been back to the dealer was to get a free oil change at 1,000 miles and to get my tailgate repainted from the jackasses at Ziebart. You can't close a tailgate with a wrench in your hand and expect not to scratch it. The truck was like three days old.:rolleyes: My only legit complaint is with the tailgate. They put this cheesy spring assist/lower thing in there and to do it they shaved weight off and made it weak. It would not hold up to continuos loading and unloading of heavy stuff like a motorcycle. This isn't a problem for me because I use my trailer for the dirty work. I see no benefit to hauling a bunch of heavy crap in my bed that is going to dent and scratch when I have a trailer for that.

The way that this thing tows is what I like the best about it. It pulls my 5-6,000 lb trailer with no trouble at all. The brakes are simply top notch IMO. The best factory brakes that I've seen by far. It handles great under load. Take a look at the driveshaft on this truck, this thing is all business when it comes to towing.

I have not had any trouble with the 6 speed tranny, but I have heard of some people having trouble with the torque converter which causes a rumble effect in the tranny. It is being replaced under warranty and a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty to back it up. My transmission shifts smooth as silk. Once again, I'm not trying to butter this thing up, but it shifts so smooth loaded or unloaded.

Let me know if you need pics of anything else. Oh and Texanlawnandlandscape, they must have given you the V6. They knew you couldn't handle the 5.7:laugh: J/K

The v6 is the same one they use on the tacoma and Tunra regular cabs right?

:laugh:

Poor thing probably struggles to make it up the driveway! The tundra's a heavy truck...poor engine.

I wonder how the Tundra would fare internally and mechanically towing 10k every weekend....I'm debating getting a tank sometime in 08 and I need something to haul it around.

GravelyGuy
01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
maybe so... i wish it was the v-6. it was fast, not as fast as everyone says it is. the f150 isnt that much slower. niether is the titan or silverado. so yeh. im still not sold. ill stick with my Fords and GMs.

That's fine if you want to stick to Ford and GM, but I'm not going to let this statement slide. I'm convinced you drove the V6. You would be lucky if you could beat a Prius with the Ford 5.4. I think the Ford is 0-60 in like 9.5 or something??? A stock Ford, GM, or Nissan do not hang with the Tundra. Once again before I get attacked, I realize these trucks are not made for racing.

lyube
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't understand why they don't have a manual trans option on the tundra...?

Capemay Eagle
01-15-2008, 05:54 PM
These threads are hilarious, nobody has a clue what the real facts are. As a consumer, you're an idiot if you don't shop around and look at what else MAY be better than what you're currently buying. I've owned a couple different makes of trucks and every time I went to buy something else I shopped them all. Throwing on your blinders and not shopping every time you purchase a vehicle and going back to the same place you bought your last truck is completely moronic. That's like getting only one bid to have your lawn cut. Would you just assume that the first bid you got was the best combination of services offered, price, and value? If you answered yes, read no further, it's apparent that you like throwing money away. How would you know that you're getting the best deal? You wouldn't. I'm willing to bet that way more than half the Toyota bashers have never even driven, sat in, or even looked at a Toyota. How would you know what it's like? You wouldn't. If you did and it didn't strike you as a vehicle to suit your needs, does that make it a bad vehicle for somebody else? No. I just laugh when "grown men" post on these forums with replies like "That truck sucks" when they've never even driven one. Do you really think that would be a strong argument against the vehicle's actual faults and shortcomings or is it your shortsided and less than professional opinion?

Fact of the matter is that the Tundra is a well built truck. There are issues that do exist, but if you think Ford, GM, or Dodge don't have problems, you are smoking something I need to get my hands on. My buddy is a tech at a Ford dealership and he works on those "highly regarded" 6.4 diesels that everyone raves about. Problem is, they're great when they run, they put down some decent power, but if you so happen to get one that likes to be a PITA, good luck. Not entirely Ford's fault, half the crap that creates the issues are typically related to emissions reduction systems. When these types of changes are made, there are bound to be new issues. However, Ford hasn't nailed them down yet and my buddy sees quite a few 6.4's weekly.

The difference between Toyota and any of the big three is that Toyota works harder than any other manufacturer to build an absolutely perfect vehicle, every time, and if they don't they will go leaps and bounds out of their way to fix their mistakes. This is the Japanese way. A history lesson will tell us that after we bombed Japan in good 'ol WWII, we sent ourselves back to rebuild their country, thus introducing ISO 9000 standards. The Japanese have stuck to this standard of perfect manufacturing and have taken it to a new level to guarantee absolute quality. This is why all high end electronic anything is built in Japan, there simply isn't a US company who can guarantee that 99% of new TV's coming off the assembly line will be completely problem free. In 10 years, Toyota will surpass Ford, guaranteed. The amount of unhappy Ford owners vs. unhappy Toyota owners is a pretty big difference in favor of Toyota.

The even bigger joke is that while Toyota is based in Japan, they're building more cars in the US than anyone else. The parts are built in Japan and shipped HERE for assembly. That is a fact, like it or not.

I dont know where you get your facts but Toyota imports more cars here than they make. It is a joke how Toyota has so many stupid Americans snowed that they make more cars here. Toyota will never surpass Ford, I am willing to bet they fold their full trucks in a couple of years just like Nissan. So read the first paragraph of this article know it all..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/21/automobiles/21auto.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

GravelyGuy
01-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't understand why they don't have a manual trans option on the tundra...?

I don't know why anyone would want a manual with this truck. The downhill engine brake assist works very well. The automatic is standard same as power window/locks, safety stuff, etc. This may be why people think they are so overpriced which is dead wrong.

lyube
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I dont know where you get your facts but Toyota imports more cars here than they make. It is a joke how Toyota has so many stupid Americans snowed that they make more cars here. Toyota will never surpass Ford, I am willing to bet they fold their full trucks in a couple of years just like Nissan. So read the first paragraph of this article know it all..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/21/automobiles/21auto.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Probably because of this: Toyota Prius Outsells Ford explorer

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/ToyotaPriusSalesPassFordExplorer.aspx

The American production facilities don't produce the Prius-they are made in Japan.

People like the prius.

lyube
01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know why anyone would want a manual with this truck. The downhill engine brake assist works very well. The automatic is standard same as power window/locks, safety stuff, etc. This may be why people think they are so overpriced which is dead wrong.

Some of us like Manuals better-they offer better MPG's for the most part, easier to work on, etc. Any shop can work on a manual trans, I don't think that can be said for the 6spd toyota, ford torqshift, etc.

Plus I've always liked the basic reg cab/v6-v8/6speed trucks.

GravelyGuy
01-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Probably because of this: Toyota Prius Outsells Ford explorer

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/ToyotaPriusSalesPassFordExplorer.aspx

The American production facilities don't produce the Prius-they are made in Japan.

People like the prius.

Scag48 said built in the US. Ford still has the upperhand on that even though they should build most all of there vehichles here IMO, they don't.

Check this out. It makes you think.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/ToyotaOustsFordAsNo2USAutomaker.aspx

SiteSolutions
01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
General Motors (GM, news, msgs) is still the top U.S. automaker. It sold 3.82 million units in 2007, down 6% from a year ago. Many analysts believe -- and Toyota has been promising -- that it will overtake GM in 2008.

The Toyota brand of cars came close to overtaking GM's Chevrolet division as the top U.S. brand, according to The Associated Press. Toyota was claiming the top spot because it included its Scion line of vehicles in its totals.

But as Tom Libby, an analyst for J.D. Power and Associates, told Bloomberg News on Wednesday, "I don't think for a second that Scion is a Toyota vehicle; it's clearly its own brand. You might as well count Pontiac vehicles as Chevrolet sales if you think Scion's a Toyota."

WTF? General Motors includes Pontiac, Chevy, Olds, Buick, GMC, etc... but Toyota can't include Scion? I am sure they included Lexus. I bet GM even includes Saturn in their totals. That JD Power Anal-yst is ******ed.

Not that I'm thrilled that our entire country will one day be owned by people outside it's borders, but still. Facts is facts.

Capemay Eagle
01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
i took your advice and went and drove a tundra...and guess what! i still dont like it. didnt have the power everyone claims it has, and man it felt so cheap! if it had a diesel in it...i would buy a half ton dodge gas engine with 130,000 miles before i bought it! and you all know how i feel about dodge...
I like this video, I love this truck..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk1ysgy_kL0

GravelyGuy
01-15-2008, 10:03 PM

I think 300,000 would be a better test for a diesel. I mean a gas engine could knock that test out if you hooked up a smaller trailer.

Capemay Eagle
01-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I think 300,000 would be a better test for a diesel. I mean a gas engine could knock that test out if you hooked up a smaller trailer.
Their not done yet..

TXNSLighting
01-16-2008, 08:48 AM

thepoint their towin a massive amount of weight, in all conditions. and yes that was just the goal, the decided to go longer now. (key word smaller trailer...)

TXNSLighting
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
That's fine if you want to stick to Ford and GM, but I'm not going to let this statement slide. I'm convinced you drove the V6. You would be lucky if you could beat a Prius with the Ford 5.4. I think the Ford is 0-60 in like 9.5 or something??? A stock Ford, GM, or Nissan do not hang with the Tundra. Once again before I get attacked, I realize these trucks are not made for racing.

the side of the truck said 5.7. so i doubt thats a v-6, and theres noticable sound differace between a v-6 and v-8. i know engines very well. and cleary you havent driven a 5.4 ford. those things are quite fast, you musta driven a v-6 in that, or a 4.6. now those are gutless.

newdude
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
see here is the problem with motor trend. you can not put a 1/2 ton in a comparison of heavy duty trucks because it is obvious who is going to win it. now if they used the 1/2 ton trucks for ford and dodge instead, that would have been a different story

SiteSolutions
01-16-2008, 07:10 PM
see here is the problem with motor trend. you can not put a 1/2 ton in a comparison of heavy duty trucks because it is obvious who is going to win it. now if they used the 1/2 ton trucks for ford and dodge instead, that would have been a different story

As mentioned previously, Motor Trend is not even a serious automobile magazine, much less any sort of truck magazine. They probably just picked a few trucks they saw within a few hundred yards of their offices. Probably picked them out based on how pretty they were.

meets1
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
This might be hijacking the thread but today I helped a contractor out who just bought a new Ford crew cab long bed 250 truck. The back he has all the tool boxes and ladder rack. Diesel engine. Now I am comparing this to my new 08 crew HD short bed d-max truck. His truck - 286 miles this morning, my truck - 468 miles tonight.

Ride wasn't bad. Inside - my thought only - not good. Way to much "in your face" type of interior. Hammer on the engine - noisy -compared to the way my d-max sounds. Close the doors - sounds as if the entire interior shacks - even my buddy thought that doors were heavy when shutting etc. He said he got it cuz the Ford was cheaper than a Gm and he didn't want a dodge.

My thoughts on these two trucks that area only a few days old and after about 2 hour ride time.

Turf Commando
01-17-2008, 01:06 AM
I agree that Motor Trend is crap. They take it out on a bumpy road to make sure you don't spill your starbucks
I found that post quite comical, but very true ...Joe

02DURAMAX
01-17-2008, 02:46 AM
This is to FUNNY.....http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing021.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing013.gif

lyube
01-17-2008, 03:33 AM

F450>Tundra

Until its time to fill up.

Tundra's way more practical. If you're going to compare apples and oranges, let's go ahead and compare the Tundra to the towing power of the focus. Yes, clearly a fair comparison indeed...

GravelyNut
01-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I've seen it. Have you ever heard of the Unimog? It's a german made military truck designed to carry 2 tons over off road and on road terrain. They're very popular with off roaders...the frame flex on the unimog with no load in the bed is insane. It is capable of keeping all 4 wheels (some have 6) on the ground in a lot of offroad situations because the frame flexes. It's a very tough truck..it only has I think an 80 hp gas engine and an optional 130hp OMD diesel.

To me the Tundra is the most capable half ton out there, but would I use it to tow 3,4, or 5 tons often? No. I'd get a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford or Dodge. The tundra would work great for those who run 2-3 ZTRs and have a 14 foot trailer.

Toyota makes quality trucks...unfortunately they know it, and charge accordingly.
Comparing a Unimog to any pickup is like comparing a tank to a Yugo. And a Unimog is much more useable with the things you can put on it too. Sort of like the old 2-wheeler Gravelys, there isn't much it can't do.

lyube
01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Comparing a Unimog to any pickup is like comparing a tank to a Yugo. And a Unimog is much more useable with the things you can put on it too. Sort of like the old 2-wheeler Gravelys, there isn't much it can't do.

I agree, but it's just an example that a super stiff frame is not always best.

I'm on the hunt for an m35a2 or a unimog..whichever I find first. I may even get a ferret for a fun project.

GravelyNut
01-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree, but it's just an example that a super stiff frame is not always best.

I'm on the hunt for an m35a2 or a unimog..whichever I find first. I may even get a ferret for a fun project.
They ship a lot of them thru Miami.

SiteSolutions
01-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I doubt frame flex is the main reason for any truck's off road abilities. The suspension must have great articulation. Just frame flex would mean the thing couldn't carry a load and would fall apart.

GravelyGuy
01-21-2008, 12:26 AM

Hey Texan, someone sent this video to me. You may find it interesting. If you squint your eyes and look closely you may be able to see the Ford at the back of the pack:laugh: I'm just screwing with ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uH_qnCCBY0&feature=related

barefeetny
01-21-2008, 03:11 AM
chevy dodge and ford better hope toyota never makes a real 1 ton

my daily driver tacoma has had no issues in 10 years and 200000 hard miles.

my domestic trucks rattle and shake and have some build quality issues at the same mileage.

my wifes top of the line jeep grand cherrokee is a complete pile.. road noise galore, poor fit and finish.

toyota builds a great product, and they know it. If I were ever stupid enough to buy a new truck again, i would shop toyota again.

Nate

TXNSLighting
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM
to bad the f-150 only has the 4.6l v8...and notice how their in a perfect v? hmmm sorry not impressed. My Fords and my GMs will always be in my driveway. I would gladly go back to dodge before i would ever concider goin with tundra. your wasting your time tryin to sway me. Im loyal to american Cars and trucks. Ford Super duty is still the Best truck available. IMO.

barefeetny
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
not to start another flame but toyotas are about as american as the big 3 anymore

fords are built in mexico and assembled in the us
gm is canadian built us assembled

In 13 locations across North America, more than 30,000 team members are producing* over 1.5 million vehicles, more than 1.3 million engines, and nearly 400,000 automatic transmissions per year. In fact, 11 Toyota and Lexus models are built in North America with parts purchased from hundreds of North American supplier locations.

Our annual U.S. spending on parts, goods and services with suppliers totals more than $29 billion** and counting, as Toyota continues to grow and build more vehicles, engines and transmissions in North America.

*Toyota vehicles and components are built using U.S. and globally sourced parts.

**Parts, materials and components (FY ending 3/07). Goods and services (CY 2006).

All data as of December 2006 except where noted.