PDA

View Full Version : Solo or Partnership?

blewis3412
12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Here's the situation. I am a high school teacher and in the summer I mow aound 20 lawns. Now, I have a fellow teacher who wants to partner up.

I am wondering how many total lawns (with 2 guys 50/50) we would need to make the same amout of money?

Would it be best to make stay solo? I am happy with 20 lawns, but the potential to grow it with a partner is enticing.

Any suggestions, experiences, etc would be great!

Happy Holidays!

shane mapes
12-18-2007, 03:05 PM
not enough info... how many hours a day do you spend doing lawns .. you need to figure out overhead and all that

JB1
12-18-2007, 03:21 PM
aint a partnership kinda like being married twice at the same time.

Sammy
12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Here's the situation. I am a high school teacher and in the summer I mow around(sic) 20 lawns.
Who takes care of them in the fall and early spring ?

I am wondering how many total lawns (with 2 guys 50/50) we would need to make the same amout of money?
Twice as many ? (Given that the yards are the same size that you do now.)

Would it be best to make stay solo?
Stay solo, or you may lose a friend. ... Plus you will need to upgrade and buy more equipment.

Happy Holidays!

We say "Merry Christmas" & "Happy New Year" up here. :drinkup:

M&SLawnCare
12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Read up on partnership posts on this site and you'll have your answer. They are almost never a good idea. If you want to expand why not just hire him? A partnership gives him equal power over the equipment and clients (and it seems you already have the equipment and clients, so what does he bring to the table?), which almost always spells disaster down the road when you begin to disagree.

hackitdown
12-18-2007, 09:08 PM

My guess is twice as many...or am I stating the obvious? You cannot do twice as many lawns in the same amount of time unless you have 2 trucks and equipment. Remember, you still have to drive from one house to the next, and you can't go twice as fast just because your partner is in the passenger seat.

If I am correct, then why bother?

deere615
12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I would stay solo, I have heard of to many troubles with partnerships

mc24034
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Rule of thumb on Partnerships... if 1+1 doesnt equal 3 then theres no need. If the other person cant bring to the table his fairshare and more then its not worth it. If your mowing 20 now you gotta mow 40 to make the same and then its a split from there. What guarentee is there that youll be able to double up your business.

When i started my business, 2 of my friends formed seperate partnerships. In less than 2 years both of their partnerships are no longer in business.

There are very few situations where partnerships actually workout.

tjsquickcuts
12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Just hire him on as a helper....pay him hourly, and you should be able to double your productivity and profits. You guys should be able to do aleast 15 a day, depending on size and scope of the lawn. JMO

shane mapes
12-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Just hire him on as a helper....pay him hourly, and you should be able to double your productivity and profits. You guys should be able to do aleast 15 a day, depending on size and scope of the lawn. JMO

i have been solo and now partnership and i would listen to tjsquickcuts... that sounds the best...........

Valk
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
ALL great points, and just to reiterate:

You have 20 lawns...if he adds 19, you're already losing money.

If he brings 21 then you might be $15-$30 bucks ahead...BUT you are now traveling/driving=wasting time X 2.

Bottom line: you ONLY make money when you are moving forward AND you are behind your mower.

Running your own business entitles you to more freedom(s) than a partnership...plain and simple. :cool2:

BFLL
12-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Here's the situation. I am a high school teacher and in the summer I mow aound 20 lawns. Now, I have a fellow teacher who wants to partner up.

That's a stupid question coming from a teacher. No wonder the world is getting dumb-er everyday.

topsites
12-19-2007, 01:55 PM
You know that's probably the best explanation I've heard for it: If you can't triple your business with one partner, don't do it.
My take on it is that other teacher could just start one of his own, honestly speaking what's the difference?
Now it may not seem like it, but those two explanations actually boil down to the same thing.

So my recommendation is run 4-5 years solo, then you can re-consider, once you have all these answers.
It's all the same in the end, I almost think your chances improve going it alone, but I'm not willing to back that up, just a thought.

blewis3412
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
BFLL

I am not even going to respond to some idiot on here saying some question is dumb. You dumb a$%! Get a life.

jimmyburg
12-19-2007, 03:46 PM
look at it this way, if you want to buy something you will have to ask your partner, now if you were solo, you could just buy it.

B_gerrits
12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I really can't see what you gain adding a partner. You have the custs, you have the equip, if you get enough work where you need help you can hire a kid or get a temp why cut someone in on your pie?

shane mapes
12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
That's a stupid question coming from a teacher. No wonder the world is getting dumb-er everyday.

hey BFL have you ever thought that he does not get paid enough to support his family teaching the future citizens of America .. teachers don't teach for the money . most teach for the joy of teaching .. if he has questions and you think that it's not worth reading , then pass the post don't respond. you sound very uneducated and i can't see how you have made it this far inn life with the out look you have .. have a good day my friend......

Stillwater
12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
More often than not a 50/50 partnership in a labor intensive industry doesen't work out. their needs to be a chain of command. with out a general pointing in a direction you will get lost. Now imagine 2 Generals pointing in different directions where do you go?

resolve this issue up front right now and you may have a better chance.

BFLL
12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
You guys are to funny, you have a teacher who can't add, and another guy who think people actually work for the pure joy of it.
Don't forget my friend we all work for money no matter what it is. Money is the only reason we work, If he enjoys working as a teacher then maybe he should get two teaching jobs.

If your going to ask how to add, then don't put up that your a Teacher.

B_gerrits
12-20-2007, 08:04 PM
You guys are to funny, you have a teacher who can't add, and another guy who think people actually work for the pure joy of it.
Don't forget my friend we all work for money no matter what it is. Money is the only reason we work, If he enjoys working as a teacher then maybe he should get two teaching jobs.

If your going to ask how to add, then don't put up that your a Teacher.

Nobody goes into teaching because they think they are going to make a lot of money. I would imagine the reasons they choose this profession are diverse. Oh by way the answer to this question would not be 40. The question actually can not be answered because the travel time and the size of the new accounts are unknown. The answer could be as little as one huge account.

RICHIE K
12-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Stay solo.....

Pilgrims' Pride
12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Believe me there is no ship that sinks faster than a partner-ship.

Been there done that and paid the price.

topsites
12-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Here's my take on how to succeed in this business:

1) Stay solo, suck it up, and save your money, hard work for many years, best to do this one lawn, and one day at a time lalala.
2) No loans, save as much as you can and always buy the best your money can buy, pay cash and buy cash only.
3) Upgrade your equipment and truck and trailer over the years, bigger, faster, better, fancier.
4) Keep going, solo, keep sucking it up and keep saving, and upgrading, year after year.
5) Once you have a niiiice truck and trailer etc for yourself and at least 50 but really 100g saved, expand.
> You want more outfits for your crew, get them basic trucks and standard machines, nobody but you operates what you own.
6) When a very special / highly profitable job comes up that you know only you can handle, you handle it, give all the rest of the jobs to your workers, likely if you hunt long and hard a special job come around once every 2-4 weeks, as a rule these jobs will land 9-10 times the normal profit hence you do those. Some will require the rest of your crew, others will not, but it's those few and far in between ones all you do beyond supervising and staying in your climate controlled office hunting for more work and those very jobs.
7) All the rest of the run of the mill, dime a dozen jobs your crew takes care of without you being there.
8) Eventually you can and will want to buy better stuff for your crew, you work that out of their profit / job and pocket the BIG DIY jobs mostly for kicks.

Estimated time frame: 8-10 years or so, maybe longer, who knows?