PDA

View Full Version : Why do people still fall for a "spray gun" rebuild?

tallrick
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
It's frustrating, but it happens more often than I can understand. A neighbor decided to buy a 1997 Bobcat 763 from a used equipment dealer instead of the one I recommended for him from a nursery. The nursery machine was the same model, but rusty and nasty looking. At 4,500.00 it was a good deal I think (2300 hours) but it would need a cosmetic clean up, some hoses, maintenance items, etc. So what does he do but spend 9,000.00 on another 763 all painted up and clean looking. Gets it on the job a month later and it loses left side steering. Of course he calls me to help fix it. Directional valve is a mess (of course) but the scary thing is that metal shavings are in the hydraulic fluid. There are old hydraulic hoses and the bucket tilt cylinder has a leak. White paint is everywhere in the engine area. Makes no sense to me. Appearance really seems to be important to some people.

RockSet N' Grade
12-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Some folks do just not have the ability in their skill set to be able to fix something up. That's one line of thinking. Another line of thinking in general terms is: Actual value versus perceived value. It doesn't matter whether it is a piece of equipment or a home - a fresh coat of paint can be the difference between a sale or no sale. Same goes for your equipment on a residential job site - clean equipment can sometimes mean the difference between getting a job and not........no clean cut answers here, just general observations and a wee bit of common sense.

tallrick
12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I guess that's the key, it just seems strange that someone would own a machine and not understand how it works. Imagine having to hire a mechanic whenever something goes wrong, and not knowing about maintenance. You have a good point about percieved value. Homeowners sure like seeing new equipment on their job, instead of some old broken down wreck. Yet a lot of the workers look more worn out than the equipment..LOL!

bobcat_ron
12-18-2007, 04:32 PM
My Dad did that all the time at the local Deere dealership on the late 70's and early 80's, painted an old manure scraper tractor new again and sold that piece of crap for 10% less than a new tractor.

Gravel Rat
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
How do you think Ritchie Bros sells equipment they give it a 5 gallon rebuild and some easy mark will buy it. I have been to many Ritchie Bros auctions and watch that worn out crap with new paint go for big money.

Same with used car dealers they clean the h*ll out of the car or truck spray it down with that liquid shine crap inside and out.

When I look at trucks I want to see them before they get cleaned up. One gravel truck I was looking at the sales man said that one isn't ready yet. I said I'am looking at it get the keys. The truck smelled inside it was filthy the seat was baffed out. The tires were bald they wouldn't pass inspection but a inspection shop passed it.

The salesman said we will clean and detail the truck before we sell it he didn't want to sell it to me as is. Truck was overpriced to start with plus the fact it belonged to some of Bobcat Rons buddies the truck probably belonged to Gurpal Sighn.

If the machine or truck has new paint and its cleaner than a SOB be very careful. The way you want to see it is the condition it was the last day it worked.

Like they say something will eventually sell it just takes some sucker to come along :laugh:

bobcat_ron
12-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Yup, definitely sounds like one of our contacts!!

Gravel Rat
12-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Lots of NC's with gravel trucks hauling on the skytrain jobs. They go into the Sterling dealer trade in their junk and buy a brandnew LT9500 with a god awfull colour but they like the color. Even when they go into order a new Pete tractor or Kenworth gravel truck the dealers have a colour chart just for the NC's. No other normal person would choose those colours :laugh:

I don't think the USA has the same problem with them as we do here in Canada :canadaflag:

I asked the dealer those funny coloured trucks are for the ------ he said yup :laugh:

cantoo
12-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I buy at sell at auctions quite abit even at Richie Bros sales. Very seldom do I buy anything with fresh paint on it unless I already have a sucker on the line. And we don't paint anything before we sell it either. For some reason people who buy old crap with new paint on it expect it to preform like new machines. If they want it to look new then they can paint it.
Look at the floor boards and controls tp see how worn they are.

Mowingman
12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
We call that a "Sherwin Williams Overhaul" down here. I used to prep old worn out mining equipment for our company, so we could sell it at a good price at auctions. We used to laugh at how much folks would pay for junk with nice paint.
We could paint a big loader, crane or dozer in no time. Just wipe Vasoline on any surface that you did not want paint to stick to. Like cab glass, door handles, and rubber gaskets around glass or doors. Spray paint the whole machine, then come back in a day and wipe off the Vasoline. Sure was easy to make an old machine look nice. I never buy at the big equipment auctions. too risky unless you know the history of the machines you bid on.

bobcat_ron
12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Remember folks, you can polish a turd up real nice and purdy, but it's still a turd.

tallrick
12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
No you can't polish a turd....but when it's dried out you can sure paint over it!

GradeMan
12-23-2007, 09:29 PM
LLLOOOOL
funny

GradeMan
12-23-2007, 09:31 PM
People like shiny things, look at your wifes finger. Small thing amuse small minds and everyone has to have the nicest stuff.

Lawnworks
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
The part that would bug me is they didn't listen to a person that uses these machines everyday. Sounds like you found them a heck of a deal as well. He could have probably paid someone 1k to fix every problem that skid had and still come out a heck of alot better than 9k. I think it is so funny when you tell someone what they need, and then the idiots go out and buy what the "want."

Lawnworks
12-24-2007, 11:32 AM
People like shiny things, look at your wifes finger. Small thing amuse small minds and everyone has to have the nicest stuff.

Right on. I got married a year ago and bought my wife's ring at the Sams club! Some of my friends are financing their 2 carat rings... what a way to start off.