PDA

View Full Version : ASV Owners

Terraformer
12-18-2007, 02:30 PM
My operation is based in Evansville Wisconsin (25 miles south of Madison). I really like the ASV product line and I want to purchase one with a HD brush cutter and mulching head. My problem is that there are no ASV dealers within 50 miles of me. I have 2 questions: 1.) Can anyone recommend an ASV dealer within 100 miles of me? 2.) Since I'm a fanatic about maintenance and a careful operator, do I have to be overly concerned about having an ASV dealer readily available to me - less than 50 miles.

Any input would be appreciated!

John

bobcat_ron
12-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Are you sure you don't want to get a Cat instead, they are a little better for brush wacking, but they do have a little less out put than ASV.

Terraformer
12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Are you sure you don't want to get a Cat instead, they are a little better for brush wacking, but they do have a little less out put than ASV.

I have already talked to the CAT dealer in Madison and I will consider a CAT machine; however, the SR-70/80 has the new low maintenance suspension. If I can find a good ASV dealer I would want to demo the ASV, followed by a demo of a like CAT machine. Afterwards, I can make a decision.

John

Scag48
12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
If you're going with ASV, why settle for the smaller machine, go for an RC100 and be done with it.

bobcat_ron
12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I think the 100 has issues with the rads plugging up with crap from wacking.

I know my 247 has a reversible fan on it, I know that'll work much better when I start cutting grass next year.

docholiday
12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
personally dealer support is very important. i would not buy a machine that did not have a dealer close by. what are the chances of them coming to you if theres a problem and there 100 miles away.
every time you take the machine to the shop its going to cost you 30 dollars each way just in fuel, not including the 90 minute drive.
asv is a great machine i love my rc50 but i also want ease of service.
and there very close to me.

bobcat_ron
12-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Ease of service may not be possible with the ASV then, watch those wacky vids Deere produced about the servicing, everyone else got good remarks, but ASV looked to be the worst out of everyone.

Cat would be one of the easier ones to service IMO.

Mulchin Larry
12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I bought my ASV from a dealer a about 100 miles away and I won't do that agian especially seein as to how there is a closer dealer forty miles away. The closest one works on it now if I have any problem I can't handle myself. It sucks hauling a broken tractor that far to get worked on. But it is worth it if they are going to do it right and get it back to you quick.
And it is basically a CAT even if it says ASV. I have talked with ASV and the local CAT dealer and have been given the green light to have the local CAT dealer work on mine if I were to so desire. Don't thik I will go that route but it is a possibility. Something to think about.
And if you are going to be brush cutting get the RC 100.

GMUGNIER
12-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I have already talked to the CAT dealer in Madison and I will consider a CAT machine; however, the SR-70/80 has the new low maintenance suspension. If I can find a good ASV dealer I would want to demo the ASV, followed by a demo of a like CAT machine. Afterwards, I can make a decision.

John

CAT has the same undercarriage on its new C series machines - I just bought the 297 I love it - I also bought the 315 mulcher head - When I get it back I will post some pics and a video of the attachment in action. - I would highly recommend that you at least demo the CAT machine before you buy ASV - I don't think you be disappointed...

bobcat_ron
12-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I'll second that, their cabs are massive compared to ASV and the overall visibility and sight lines are the same as Bobcat's.

Digdeep
12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
You may want to contact Vermeer Wisconsin, the ASV dealer in Butler, WI. They are located west on I-94 on the outskirts of Milwaukee (probably a little less than an hour away from you). I know that they sell quite a few RC100s with brush cutters so they should be very knowledgeable. I have dealt with them in the past and they have been very easy to work with. Ask for Mark.

The RC100 cab has plenty of room compared to the other machines out there with the exception being the Takeuchi. I know it is bigger than the CAT C series because I have been in both of them. Good luck.

Terraformer
12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
CAT has the same undercarriage on its new C series machines - I just bought the 297 I love it - I also bought the 315 mulcher head - When I get it back I will post some pics and a video of the attachment in action. - I would highly recommend that you at least demo the CAT machine before you buy ASV - I don't think you be disappointed...

Here is my question: Is the CAT model C "series II suspension" the same as the "ISR-4" suspension/undercarraige of the SR-70/80?

Moreover, is the CAT model "C" based upon the design (weight & balance) of their wheeled skidsteers? I ask these questions, because I work in marsh and lake front areas.

FYI - the CAT dealership is not far from me and that is important to me. However, I do need a machine that will perform well in wetland areas.

I'm all ears... John

Digdeep
12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
CAT is using the virtually the same undercarriage as ASV (they buy them from ASV) except that they have started to use a drivemotor/planetary drive combination and ASV only uses a drive motor. ALL of their MTLs are based off of their skid steer chassis, so yes I believe that the weight and balance will be similar to their skids. The track on the ground will help to offset the rear weighted orientation of their chassis, however, their departure angles and ground clearances are very similar to their skids and most of the chassis weight is still toward the back of the machine.

I have been told that the main difference between the two machines (RC100 and 297C) in brush cutting is that the RC100 has much more engine torque to run the brush cutter when it is really being worked. The ASV dealer told me it had 40% more engine torque. The best bet would be to demo both of them. I know that ASV just released a new two speed brush cutter in conjunction with Fecon so i would test that out as well.

bobcat_ron
12-19-2007, 06:04 PM
The CAT C series can be bought/ordered with the single level suspension which means torsion axles on all 4 corners but the roller wheels are all stationary, or the dual level suspension, torsion axles and all the roller wheels are paired together on bogie systems.

Only the 277-297's have this as an option, the 247-257 only have single. ASV has the dual level on the machines above the SR-70, which is the machine closest to comparison to the Cat 257 or the older 267.

If I was always working in really soft conditions I'd go for the ASV, they are lighter, compare the weights of the 297C vs the 90hp ASV machine, BIG difference, that's where ASV has everyone beat, they are also built from the tracks up, meaning they are not just another skid steer frame sitting on a track system, they are meant for the tracks and the tracks are meant for the machine.

GMUGNIER
12-19-2007, 08:44 PM
The CAT MTL's are not modifications of the skid steer chassis - it is a ground - up engineered track machine the CG and other characteristics are resemblant only in coincidence, as both machines are designed so that the operator will not notice much difference between the two - the 297 has much more power than the ASV machine, and if i recall correctly there is not any other machine on the market right now that can compete with the shear power, and tractive effort of the 297 - It can really put the power to the ground much better than the 287 - It was like night and day! - the people that are posting info here - are based purely on experience and I can assure you - I have owned almost every brand out there and CAT beats em all... Do yourself a favor and test the CAT -- you wont have to ask anymore questions..

bobcat_ron
12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
So I'm guessing that's the biggest change into the C series then, the rubber tired loaders are actually MTL chassis with tires then?

Construct'O
12-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Here is my question: Is the CAT model C "series II suspension" the same as the "ISR-4" suspension/undercarraige of the SR-70/80?

Moreover, is the CAT model "C" based upon the design (weight & balance) of their wheeled skidsteers? I ask these questions, because I work in marsh and lake front areas.

FYI - the CAT dealership is not far from me and that is important to me. However, I do need a machine that will perform well in wetland areas.

I'm all ears... John

If your working in wetland areas you might want to go with the wider tracks.I was thinking i read where the Asv has a 20" track as an option.Not sure ,but thought i read that.You need to check that out.

More floation,not sure they help that much more for traction,but the wider the track the better the psi pressure is to the ground surface.Like they say you just need to demo and make your choice from here.

Good luck:usflag:

Digdeep
12-19-2007, 11:54 PM
The CAT MTL's are not modifications of the skid steer chassis - it is a ground - up engineered track machine the CG and other characteristics are resemblant only in coincidence, as both machines are designed so that the operator will not notice much difference between the two - the 297 has much more power than the ASV machine

I think that CAT makes a good machine, however, someone has seriously misinformed you, or sold you a bill of goods. The CAT MTLs are indeed based directly off of their skid steer chassis. The 297C is merely the 272C on the ASV undercarriage..same engine, same ground clearance, departure angles, hydraulic tanks, fuel tanks, etc. It is simply fitted to the ASV undercarriage by removing the chain cases and axles.

I have no doubt that the 297C has excellent traction, but the engine hp while being 90hp seems close to the RC100 it is produced out of the the same 3.3L engine that the ASV SR80 uses..ask your CAT dealer what the engine torque is. I would bet that it isn't over 220ft lbs. The RC100 produces over 300ft lbs of torque out of a 4.4L engine. That's a big difference.

GMUGNIER
12-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I think I should clarify a few things for those whom do not fully understand what goes into design criteria of heavy equipment - designs are generally function over form in favor of operator safety. Cabs and chassis begin there life as a means of protecting the operator in a predetermined type of environment, and then address whether or not you can perform the task you are setting out to do after other basic issues such as horsepower, hydraulic flow rates, suspension systems, etc.. etc... have been addressed - it is then left up to the manufacturer to decide if the function and the job this machine has to perform will be easy for the operator to endure. Some companies like CAT take the science of ergonomics and study how can they make the life of the operator better in their cab. As we all know the more comfortable a cab is - the longer we are able to sustain work without getting fatigued. Now the Cabs and Chassis of the MTLS and SSL's that are manufactured by CAT - have addressed the concerns of everything above. Furthermore HP of a engine in a piece of hydraulic machinery is not a good measure of power - the engine PTO operates a hydraulic pump - not the wheels, or the tracks directly. Overall weight, displacement of the tracks, suspension, and traction control systems determine the "tractive effort" output of a particular machine. This is a better measure of performance. Now I don't claim to be a expert on Cat, or any other manufacturer for that matter - however - two degrees in engineering might count for something. And yes the ASV 100 machine has a 4.4 liter engine - but it does not have the newer cab design, suspension or benefit of the newer undercarriage - which all equate to power to the ground. I have operated the ASV and found it to be a bit clunky for my taste, but that is just personal preference - Once again - you need to go operate the equipment in your work environment to determine what works best for you...

ianh
12-20-2007, 04:58 PM
^GMUGNIER
Just to clarify... is that the RC100 that you're referring to as "clunky"?

It's just that I am soon to buy either a Cat 297 or an RC80... I'm leaning to the RC80. To demo all my options I'd have to fly ~3500km so it's not really practical. I've done a lot of research of my own but have been following this thread keenly, and have read every thread here re CTL's over and over :-) Service is not a worry as we have our own fitter plus a good rapport with Cat (who have a dealer here... a plus) and ASV (but the dealer is 3500km away). However the ASV dealer has been !extremely! helpful with sourcing and fitting a laser controlled box grader, while Cat is never really struck on going outside the square.
Christmas is the last excuse to procrastinate, then it's decision time :-)

ianh
12-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Correction: That's the SR80 we're considering... not the RC80

GMUGNIER
12-20-2007, 07:37 PM
The SR series of machines from ASV are very similar in design to the CAT and the undercarriages are almost identical - Actually I prefer the wider track on the ASV but I went with the CAT, and yes - I was referring to the older design on the ASV 100 that I tried - as being clunky - I kinda like the new ASV's and the instruments on the safety bars are ingenious. If you look closely you will notice that the inside of the cabs are very similar - CAT and ASV did a great job on the redesign of the new C series and the SR's as well. - I really don't like the Perkins engine - but once again - just preference....

Terraformer
12-21-2007, 03:30 PM
If your working in wetland areas you might want to go with the wider tracks.I was thinking i read where the Asv has a 20" track as an option.Not sure ,but thought i read that.You need to check that out.

More floation,not sure they help that much more for traction,but the wider the track the better the psi pressure is to the ground surface.Like they say you just need to demo and make your choice from here.

Good luck:usflag:

Construct'O - you are correct in that the ASV SR-80 has 20 inch track as part of their standard package.

John

P.S. - again everyone is providing great information.

ianh
12-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Tks, GMUGNIER

Terraformer
12-21-2007, 08:13 PM
You may want to contact Vermeer Wisconsin, the ASV dealer in Butler, WI. They are located west on I-94 on the outskirts of Milwaukee (probably a little less than an hour away from you). I know that they sell quite a few RC100s with brush cutters so they should be very knowledgeable. I have dealt with them in the past and they have been very easy to work with. Ask for Mark.

The RC100 cab has plenty of room compared to the other machines out there with the exception being the Takeuchi. I know it is bigger than the CAT C series because I have been in both of them. Good luck.

After the holidays I will go to Vermeer. I work 30 miles south of you, Evansville area, and around lake Koshkonong. I find it interesting that I have not seen a skid/CTL with either a brush cutter or mulching head - even though I go out of my way to see what's on someone's trailer or work site. Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas or missing something. If you have different experiences or wisdom that you're willing to share... I'm all ears!

John

Construct'O
12-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Construct'O - you are correct in that the ASV SR-80 has 20 inch track as part of their standard package.

John

P.S. - again everyone is providing great information.

I liked the new tread design on the ASV machines,only thing i think again it was on only the smaller machine like the 50 series.

Hope some of the other track companys will design different treads.

I work nearly all dirt ,so would like to see deeper tread for the mud that i have to work in.:usflag:

bobcat_ron
12-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Different tread design?

Is this different from the straight lugs then?

Strawbridge Lawn
12-22-2007, 09:08 AM
I would definitely go with the series 2 undercarriage for maintenance reasons. CAT machines are easier to work on than ASV's, but I like the visibility of the ASV.
All ASV dealers close to me are gone so I will likely be going with a 257B series 2
next time. Good Luck.

tigerroze
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I have a sr-70 with 181 hrs, great machine WHEN it's running. In the first year I had to replace all gauges, 2 starters, ignition, several relays, & now the float has quit. If I wouldn't have kept my wheel machine as a back up, I would have been screwed last year. Service guys seem to know NOTHING about these machines & there seems to be no contact between ASV & selling company......as if they were made on a different planet! Such a shame such a fine machine is not being supported by it's maker!

Dirt Digger2
03-04-2008, 05:59 PM
man your digging up all the old threads and just pasting the same stuff in there...ASV will change now that Terex owns them

Ausman
03-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Man some Cat sales guys can spin lines! If you buy the PT100 ask for the brush kit, it blocks the air intakes near the loader towers from sucking inthe brush. The Pt100 has signifigant changes to theRC100 undercarriage. It also has a new guage cluster and a metal hood. That machine boasts 100 engine HP via a 4.4L engine 144lpm flow 3300 relief valve pressure and 74 Hydraulic horspower. The only thing near it for hyd horspower is the TL150 but it is rigid frame and heavy.

On theSR70 there are service bullitins out to address all the issues with it that were posted. this will be a good machine once the bugs are ironed out of the new machine, the UC is bulletproof almost.

J. Peterson Grading
03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I own an RC50 and am in the process of buying an SR80.

I have had constant problems with my RC50. But its mostly just little things like bucket pins breaking, or plugged fuel filters. This winter, the machine has been for the most part broken down. I mean we will plow with it one storm, Break something new then it will be down for 2 storms.

I do have a dealer (ASV) less than a mile from me, and for the most part they have been good to deal with even though they hardly ever sell an ASV product (Unless its parts to me)

In my opinion the SR series loaders are built alot better that the RC series. RC series machines just seem cheeply built. And in my RC50 case, they dont seem to hold up. I have had my machine for 3 years now and have roughly 600 hrs on it. So I would expect a better product at 600 Hrs than what My RC50 is. So hopefully the SR Series will be.

J.

74inchShovel
03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
The build quality of my RC 30 is not up to par with other makes. Some things I can understand, things happen. ( 2 blown hoses first year) Other items are not so easily understood-the quick attach is very bad, I dread taking the bucket off. And some things are just plain piss poor. No replacable hardened bushings in any movement points. Whats up with that? $350 latter the machinist cut off the bucket cylinder eyes, and redid with replacable inserts. Mind you this is just the first of many spots to be re-engineered. Not good.

tigerroze
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
yes, hoping to find other owners with the same problems.....maybe ASV would stand behind this loader. I had these problems during warranty period & still having same problems. The only solution I know of is to sell it. It's the most frustrating piece of equipment I've owned. This loader has only been used with pallet forks & regular bucket on dirt.

J. Peterson Grading
03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Great. So I'm not the only one here with problems.

But the thing that pizzez me off the most is when my RC50 is running good. Its the best damn machine ever. Then it breaks and its back to cussing it again.

And the second thing that pizzez me off the most is that its just hard finding a machine that has the same handleing capibilities as my ASV. I have a demo CAT 277B right now. Great machine but its just so damn big and heavy. I was looking at it as a mowing only machine but its Ground clearance and weight might be its downfall. Same with bobcats, no ground clearence.

Maybe a Takuchi or somthing.

J.

bobcat_ron
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Well a Cat 277C series is a much better choice than the older B series, and at least the Cat will have better resale and serviceability than the ASV MTL.

hansondirtman
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
almost 2 years now and the sr80 has been perfect. But hey so are most of my machines.

KRtraxx
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
almost 2 years now and the sr80 has been perfect. But hey so are most of my machines.

Glad you like your machine.Your dealer must be doing a good job for you..Thats the way it should be.

KRtraxx
03-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Great. So I'm not the only one here with problems.

But the thing that pizzez me off the most is when my RC50 is running good. Its the best damn machine ever. Then it breaks and its back to cussing it again.

And the second thing that pizzez me off the most is that its just hard finding a machine that has the same handleing capibilities as my ASV. I have a demo CAT 277B right now. Great machine but its just so damn big and heavy. I was looking at it as a mowing only machine but its Ground clearance and weight might be its downfall. Same with bobcats, no ground clearence.

Maybe a Takuchi or somthing.

J.

J. I sell ASVs and several other brands of wheeled and tracked loaders.I'm to far away to help you myself but If you want to P.M. me I can provide with some good information on capabilities of different brands of brush mowing skids and how they compare in real demos...and the good and bad I have observed on different brands in these situations...

Ausman
03-05-2008, 02:39 AM
RE Rc50 pin breakages:

This was an issue in the series 1, when the series 2 with the RC60 loader was released thay all went away. If you want to fic the problem for ever you need get rid of the drilled pins with the grease nipples in them and replace them with solid 4140 pins, i make them up. You then need to drilll and tap the loader arms and fit grease nipples in the centre of the arm then the grease enters there.

we only run 4 in 1 buckets down here so we been doing that for years.

Re the RC30 we bore and bush the lower arms in pre delivery, then we cut the ends of the crowd cylinders and fit bushed ends, these are actually the same part at the ram on the 4 in 1. I cant get enough RC30's to sell second hand because when where done they are bullet proof.

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM

Does your sr80 have an enclosed cab? My sr70 does not, I think part of my problems comes from this. The fuse/relay box is not not well covered & the ignition is a trap for rain & dirt. The starter problem was from the ignition hanging up (so I was told) The other problems (relays) started after this (except for the fogging gauges which were like that from the start)

hansondirtman
03-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Yep I have a cab with heater, I have also heard of the relay updates but I still have the originals and they are fine, so I think I am gonna leave them in.

BIGBEN2004
03-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Yep I have a cab with heater, I have also heard of the relay updates but I still have the originals and they are fine, so I think I am gonna leave them in.

Never mess with some thing that isn't broke can sometimes be the best thing to do.

4900bruce
07-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi I am new here but been earthmoving for 24 years.Ausman please take my RC30 off me .It is the most porely thought out and built machine I have ever owned and I have owned every make you can buy in Australia.
I am trying to trade it in on a new cat 277c but as ASV has such a bad reputation I will be lucky to get 30k aud for it has 900 hrs and only 18 months old .Payed $62 k for it.
Having read forums here have now come to conclusion that cat tracked loaders are to involved with ASV and may have same faults as ASV.

Ausman
07-05-2008, 10:46 PM
4900bruce if you paid $62k for that machine you were screwed, i pay 42k for new ones. Used ones in this market pull about 32k for good post 2005 machines. 4 cat machines sold at ritchies last week for $32k each.

Ausman
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
The SR70 has a bunck of upgrades to be done to it, you need to return it to the dealer andhave the Bosch relays fitted, the key kit fitted to relocate the key to the side.

The SR70 also has an issue with a welch plug falling out and jamming the starter, i feel this is what happened to yours and the dealer did not tell you. All of the above has happened to one of mine, personally i will never buy another SR until they are 4 to 5 years in the field.

Digdeep
07-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi I am new here but been earthmoving for 24 years.Ausman please take my RC30 off me .It is the most porely thought out and built machine I have ever owned and I have owned every make you can buy in Australia.
I am trying to trade it in on a new cat 277c but as ASV has such a bad reputation I will be lucky to get 30k aud for it has 900 hrs and only 18 months old .Payed $62 k for it.
Having read forums here have now come to conclusion that cat tracked loaders are to involved with ASV and may have same faults as ASV.

Wow $62k! how many attachements did you buy with it..everyone they offer?

I can't speak for Australia or your experiences but it seems that most of the RC30 owners I have talked to are amazed at what the machine can do for its size. They will admit its shortcomings (lift height, noise, etc.) but it will outperform pretty much every machine in its size.

Ausman
07-05-2008, 11:00 PM
digdeep, the fact that he is now looking at a 277c tells me that he bought to small for the job he wanted to do. The dealer down there is a shark and overcharges for ASV.

Digdeep
07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
digdeep, the fact that he is now looking at a 277c tells me that he bought to small for the job he wanted to do. The dealer down there is a shark and overcharges for ASV.

I would tend to agree that he needed a bigger machine. I saw it all the time when I sold equipment. I would get a customer that did not want to pay more for a machine that would fit his application without a problem. They insist on paying less for a smaller machine, one with not enough hydraulic flow, lift height, etc. and then be upset later on even though you tried to put them in the correct skid.

I will also say that it is easy to want a "smaller' ASV because they do so much more than people expect them to do.

4900bruce
07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Ausman yes you are correct I was screwed and continue to be screwed ,2006 RC30 with enclosed cab and crisp air air con and 4in1 bucket $62000.00aud.
Sorry you are sounding like our robbing dealer when you say we are over working the machine .It can only carry 1 bucket load of soil at a time ,so are these machines not designed to work 8 hr days 5 days a week like all other makes?
For all considering ASV gear here are some facts .The idler wheel bearings do not have seals so they start falling of at 200 hrs.ASV has put a round metal disc on stub axles which is in contact with inside of wheels .This disc rubs against inside of wheels and wears inside of wheel away including circlip groove ,circlip comes out of now none existent groove .grit destroys dust seal and then bearing.
front torsion bar suspension collapses at about 400 hrs(not designed to carry wet sticky mud as in earthmoving).weld steel blocks to frame to hold front of machine up off tracks,dont have suspension now.
if there is a electricail problem machine may stop at any time eg bucket half way up cant lower bucket down so cant open door to get out of machine.
Supports holding arms to machine ,welds starting to crack.
starter motor does not engage ,brought new one from dealer $700.00 ,200 hrs later this one is not always engaging and have been told can get same starter motor from cat dealer for $170.00
I could go on and I am only 1 of 3 RC30 owners that I Know off and they could tell you how drive motor axles break every 700 hrs.
please Ausman if you love RC30 so much take mine and get me out of my misery.
As for the dealer I have had to get the dept of fair trading involved to get any warranty work done
Please any body reading this dont buy these machines ,They will ruin you.

Digdeep
07-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Ausman yes you are correct I was screwed and continue to be screwed ,2006 RC30 with enclosed cab and crisp air air con and 4in1 bucket $62000.00aud.
Sorry you are sounding like our robbing dealer when you say we are over working the machine .It can only carry 1 bucket load of soil at a time ,so are these machines not designed to work 8 hr days 5 days a week like all other makes?
For all considering ASV gear here are some facts .The idler wheel bearings do not have seals so they start falling of at 200 hrs.ASV has put a round metal disc on stub axles which is in contact with inside of wheels .This disc rubs against inside of wheels and wears inside of wheel away including circlip groove ,circlip comes out of now none existent groove .grit destroys dust seal and then bearing.
front torsion bar suspension collapses at about 400 hrs(not designed to carry wet sticky mud as in earthmoving).weld steel blocks to frame to hold front of machine up off tracks,dont have suspension now.
if there is a electricail problem machine may stop at any time eg bucket half way up cant lower bucket down so cant open door to get out of machine.
starter motor does not engage ,brought new one from dealer $700.00 ,200 hrs later this one is not always engaging and have been told can get same starter motor from cat dealer for $170.00
I could go on and I am only 1 of 3 RC30 owners that I Know off and they could tell you how drive motor axles break every 700 hrs.
As for the dealer I have had to get the dept of fair trading involved to get any warranty work done

4900Bruce..Its a bummer you are having the problems you are having. I don't know how ASV is set up in Australia but I know they have a website that allows you to try to contact someone if you aren't getting satisfaction with your local dealer. Maybe ASV has a factory guy down there that you can contact.

I know that ASV has sold heaps of RC30s. There must be more than 3 in all of Australia.

4900bruce
07-05-2008, 11:56 PM
I brought the RC30 to go with my 1.8 ton kubota excavator .both are good for the limited acess market.all my work is hourly plant hire so the slower I go the more I make,I have no reason to abuse my machinery as some are implying.
I am now trying to get out of the RC30 any way I can and trying to get the best trade in possible eg buy most expensive machine dealer has.
Have been told N.S.W. dealer is not re tendering for ASV dealership(giving them bad name)so wont be able to get spares soon and they need lots.

74inchShovel
07-06-2008, 01:04 AM
My RC 30 has me singing a similar tune. Many problems, oddly though none like yours. Most all related to build quality, the latest are a fuel gage or sending unit out, and the beginnings of a scary sounding hydraulic noise- looking at other sites, and on U-Tube this machine is very unreliable. I am not alone by any means on this. It is one of the highest maintenance machines I have ever owned.

Ausman
07-06-2008, 01:24 AM
As i have posted in here at least 10 times, there is an upgrade to fix your wheel problem, Drill countersink and screw the disc to the wheel then the groove cannot wear out, all of my machines have this done and no more drama, the cracking, there is a bracket that can be fitted and it has been availible for years. i have never had a tower crack off, never. it is cosmetic. Also the machine does not have enought power to run air con. Seen 2 drive motors break in over 50 machines i know and both were overworking it.

If you dont have an ASV here you cant get work.

Ausman
07-06-2008, 01:31 AM
oh and the torsion axles your dealer did not fit the torsion axle limiters, cost $250 plus fitting ususally free in australia.

J. Peterson Grading
07-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Drama.

I fix my stuff when it breaks, then move on.

the end.

J.

Ausman
07-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Yeah and i have helped many many people on this forum make their machines work.

Been doing this for 20 years i have dealers in the USA now wanting me to train them on ASV preperation, and i am just an owner.

Our results speak for themselves.

J. Peterson Grading
07-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Hey.

I listen to you. I have done your mods to my 50 and all is good.
I just got my new PT80 and I am working a deal for a nice RC30.

Thanks again.

4900bruce
07-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Hi I hear what you are saying and I am pleased that you are telling any prospective buyer of RC30s that when they purchase a RC30 they should be prepared to spend money and time on a brand new machine to bring it upto scratch or they could save that time ,money and down time and purchase a machine from another maker and enjoy going to work and making money with out all the ASV dramas.
I wish you had told me that 18 months agoe .
Ausman still waiting for you to buy my one,maybe you exagerated when you said they are in demand in Queensland.

Ausman
07-06-2008, 03:11 AM
send me photos but the air cab retracts from the thing and it needs and axle and upgrades will you take 22k

J. Peterson Grading
07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
As with all pieces of equipment. There are going to be some good ones and bad ones. It seems that you and some other people on here have had some problems. I know I have had them with my RC50.

It sounds more like your dealer is the problem. It seems like they have completely written you off!! If they won't listen to your demands, get your lawer involved.

I am not sure who it was, but one of youguys with an RC30 (and it was your primary machine) wants to trade it in on a 277C? If you are doing work that requires a machine of that size (277C) and you bought an RC30 then you created your own problem.

I mean look at an RC30. The are a purpose built Light duty machine. If you can't look at one and tell that then you need to quit the business. As for every machine they are going to have weekness (And you guys have certainly found yours)

After hearing and thinking about the problems you guys have. I am still going to get one. I feel that for what my application is, an RC30 is going to be the right machine. i am not going to be doing heavy digging with it, or beating on it at all. its use is going to be primarily clean up behind my mini excavator, and Johny on the spot work where its size will have huge advantages.

If I have trouble with it, I will be on here complaing. But the difference is. I GET A DEALER MAINTANCE AND REPAIR CONTRACT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.

jmf
07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I have an SR80 and I am wondering what machines are affected by this problem?

jmf

As i have posted in here at least 10 times, there is an upgrade to fix your wheel problem, Drill countersink and screw the disc to the wheel then the groove cannot wear out, all of my machines have this done and no more drama, the cracking, there is a bracket that can be fitted and it has been availible for years. i have never had a tower crack off, never. it is cosmetic. Also the machine does not have enought power to run air con. Seen 2 drive motors break in over 50 machines i know and both were overworking it.

If you dont have an ASV here you cant get work.

Strawbridge Lawn
07-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Read a bunch of the posts here, and thought some feedback might help. I have had my ASL300 (rc-30) for 4 years now and have just gone over 1000
hours.
I have replace two drive motors and about 8 roller wheels to the tune of aboit 4,000 dollars with repairs being done by an ASV Dealer and a local CAT dealer.
My thoughts? The machine is hard to replace. IMO there is none better for doing serious work in tight areas. Have I overworked ot? Absolutely! What broke or was worn was due to harder than designed type work plain and simple. Would I buy another? Absolutely.
I want to go bigger to avoid the "Overwork" issue, but with no ASV dealer close I am considering a CAT 247 next time. Patienlt waiting for these U/C issues to be minimized (and proven) with the new series though.
If I had it my way, I would always keep an rc-30 handy.

bobcat_ron
07-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Go for the 247, my undercarriage is at the 200 hour mark and all I have ever done is concrete/black top demo, gravel hauling/grading, hard digging and brush cutting, so far, there are only minor nicks and cuts in the tracks, none of which have gone any deeper than 3mm and all the rollers are still smooth with only some of the outer roller hubs chipped, but all the rubber is still smooth.

Technically, the work I do, makes any ASV owner cringe.

J. Peterson Grading
07-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Ron.

Not tooting your horn here, but I do excatally what you do with your little kitty with my ASVs. I ain't cringing. Not a bit.

Its a freaking loader guys! If I worried about everything that I shouldn't do with mine. I would never get another job!!.

J.

stuvecorp
07-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Our Polaris version of the RC30 has been fairly trouble free. It isn't built to 'contractor grade' but for the niche it is in it performs great. We use this machine but don't abuse it.

4900bruce, sorry you are having so much trouble but it sounds like a bigger machine would be a better choice. It is never fun having a bad dealer either.

bobcat_ron
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Ron.

Not tooting your horn here, but I do excatally what you do with your little kitty with my ASVs. I ain't cringing. Not a bit.

Its a freaking loader guys! If I worried about everything that I shouldn't do with mine. I would never get another job!!.

J.

Do you bury your undercarriage up to the bottom of the squirrel cage in 3/4" clear stone too? :laugh:

J. Peterson Grading
07-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Yep. Sure do. So your not special ron. lol

bobcat_ron
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Yep. Sure do. So your not special ron. lol

My mommy says I'm special. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/kiss3.gif

J. Peterson Grading
07-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Mine says that too. But I think she's high.

J.

bobcat_ron
07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/lol.gif

Junior M
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
she says your special

ed.

ksss
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Go for the 247, my undercarriage is at the 200 hour mark and all I have ever done is concrete/black top demo, gravel hauling/grading, hard digging and brush cutting, so far, there are only minor nicks and cuts in the tracks, none of which have gone any deeper than 3mm and all the rollers are still smooth with only some of the outer roller hubs chipped, but all the rubber is still smooth.

Technically, the work I do, makes any ASV owner cringe.

You and Peterson can bring your suspended girlie machines out here and we'll see who cringes. I have just the project to put you two on. I just don't want to hear any boobin cause you have no rubber left on your rollers and your squirrel cage looks like 5 miles of bad road. :clapping:

The girlie comment was for you Peterson.:laugh:

bobcat_ron
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
You and Peterson can bring your suspended girlie machines out here and we'll see who cringes. I have just the project to put you two on. I just don't want to hear any boobin cause you have no rubber left on your rollers and your squirrel cage looks like 5 miles of bad road. :clapping:

You pay the hauling, motel and hot asian escort fees and you got yerself a deal!

Naw go on an' git!

Junior M
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM

if i get a machine can i come and take petersons place? i am out of school!!

J. Peterson Grading
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Girlie? Oh here we go with the name callin!!!

Ok there Captian, you need to bring that boat anchor of yours out here to help me with the clean up crap I got going.

And like Ronito just said. Hauling Hotel and Ho's and I will be there.

J.

ksss
07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
if i get a machine can i come and take petersons place? i am out of school!!

OK but I am fresh out of Asian escorts. There are two in town and BC ron got the last one. The other is on my personal retainer. How does Native Amercian sound? One quick question, do you mean school like high school? I cant be contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Bring a CASE machine with you. I will need someone to get something done, this is getting expensive.

Junior M
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
well does it count if i am goin in to high school?

in my opinion i would rather run the case we rent when we are rushed for equipment than a bobcat....

so yeah i will be there........lol....... with a ct420...........it will be a rental so lets tear it all to he!!... hahahahahahahaha

bobcat_ron
07-08-2008, 11:36 PM
OK but I am fresh out of Asian escorts. There are two in town and BC ron got the last one. The other is on my personal retainer. How does Native Amercian sound?

No thanks, the last one gave me a bad case of "burns like mighty fire when he pee's" that I am sill recovering from.

Junior M
07-08-2008, 11:50 PM
No thanks, the last one gave me a bad case of "burns like mighty fire when he pee's" that I am sill recovering from.
ok well in that case i will take boobcat rons place then!!!

4900bruce
07-10-2008, 03:36 AM
I am pleased to inform everyone that I have managed to unload my ASV RC30.I have read the above comments and say again re over working machine,I can only carry one bucket load of soil at a time and all my work is hourly hire so I am not in a hurry.
I looked at the cat 297C ,there are 64 wheels in the undercarriage.Thats a lot wheels and bearings to replace and still has torsion bar suspension which as has been proved ,collapses when carrying around wet soil.
Have gone for new Takeuchi TL240 ,it has a lot less to go wrong.Here in Sydney we get the same hourly rate for TL240 as we do for a RC100 or cat 297 .Hopefully I wont be spending a fortune on maintance.

PSDF350
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I am pleased to inform everyone that I have managed to unload my ASV RC30.I have read the above comments and say again re over working machine,I can only carry one bucket load of soil at a time and all my work is hourly hire so I am not in a hurry.
I looked at the cat 297C ,there are 64 wheels in the undercarriage.Thats a lot wheels and bearings to replace and still has torsion bar suspension which as has been proved ,collapses when carrying around wet soil.
Have gone for new Takeuchi TL240 ,it has a lot less to go wrong.Here in Sydney we get the same hourly rate for TL240 as we do for a RC100 or cat 297 .Hopefully I wont be spending a fortune on maintance.

And why wouldn't you? It is after all the same size as the tl150. So it seems to me anyway that you now have a machine of proper size. Big differance between a rc 30 and tl150/tl240.

Construct'O
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Bad luck must follow the RC30 around!!!!!!!:rolleyes::usflag:

Today, 08:52 AM #81
DILLIGAF
Probationary Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a positrack for about three years now aswell as other gear, and i can definatly say that they are unbelievable at going where the others cant as i work with a lot of wet clay, they have more than enough power and a very smooth ride, good visability ect, however this all has come at huge expense, its had 5 drive motor failure's in the last 400 hours alone and in all of its 1800hours has done about ten drive shafts/motors and is sending me broke, i have always taken such good care of all of my machines, they get a full "mini" service at the end of every day with a good washdown and close inspection, and all of my machines have been so reliable with almost no breakdowns (one fanbelt in nearly 4yr's on the kubota digger), now its come to the stage that i would feel too much guilt to sell this demon to some other poor bloke so i'm unsure what to do. I really need a machine like this for the sort of work im doing, the guys from the dealership workshop have no idea what the problem is and cant give me an explaination, Is it just a lemon? Do i trade it on a new one (cos the thought of that makes me cringe) do i set fire to it? or have a priest perform an exorcism on it

4900bruce
07-11-2008, 03:45 AM
No it is not bad luck .These machines were never designed or built to do work in the earthmoving game.
Unfortunatley buyers are being fooled by crooked dealers when they tell us these machines are tough and durable.
These same dealers tell us there is 1000 hr warrantie on tracks ,what they dont tell us is that it is pro rater eg 500 hr on track so ASV so thats half of the 1000 hrs so ASV credit your account with half the cost of a track.You still have to pay full price up front for track.I cant believe that legaly they can get away with that.
A friend has a new RC30 (310 hrs) snapped a drive axle yesterday.Today he rang Takeuchi re trading RC30 in .So I am pleased that is one more person I have steered away from ASV.

jmf
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
It sounds to me like the troubles are with the RC30. I have heard of problems with the RC100, but most of these are related to its use as a Forestry mulcher. I have an SR80, and I do have a wish list, but it does perform well. These machines are new technology and are bound to have growing pains. The only real problem I see is factory reliance on dealers to handle research and development issues and large scale quality control problems as warranty defects. I would guess that ASV is making many changes within model years. My machine had a bad starter, which personnel at Perkins concede was caused by a bad lot. The factory should have replaced the starters but rather relied on luck and their dealer network to handle it. As a result I not only had lost time and money caused by the defective part, but the continuing pains of wiring harness issues. ASV should have made a factory recall on the starter and affected components, now they should recall the machine. ASV cannot continue to pass the cost of large-scale design and quality issues to the customer. These are beyond what typical dealers expect and are capable of handling. If these issues cannot be handle on the assembly line, what I would like to see is a factory response team that is trained and equipped to handle known issues. When a dealer verifies these issues this team would take over at the dealer or customer's location. ASV has a good thing but they cannot depend on customer excitement to carry them. ASV needs to get excited about reliability.

jmf

Construct'O
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry it was and RC60 machine instead of the RC30:hammerhead::usflag:

74inchShovel
07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I dont know if the problems are confined only to the RC 30- on another site, some one had a RC 60 that ate drive motors, something like 5 in 400 hrs. The motors on a ASV are subjected to a couple of types of loads-torsional (twisting), and the real killer-lateral(side to side) Cat saw this, and has bolted the motors to planetaries on some of its newer machines. This eliminates the lateral load on the drive motor. Your post JMF was well said.

greyim
07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Anyone know what brand? Seems a 'bit' dear from ASV