PDA

View Full Version : Rye Seeding parking lot islands with no irrigation

superdan
12-18-2007, 04:56 PM
In south Texas, my biggest commercial account has no irrigation system in their parking lot islands. The grass that is there is thin and has some bald spots where nothing is growing. During the winter months, what grass there is goes dormant leaving the area looking dead and bald.

I tried seeding with rye just before some rain but, after nearly a month with only a couple days rain, not much is sprouting.

I cant do anything about the irrigation system. Would it help to cover the seeds with a thin layer of sandy loam? Or is that just a waste of time?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Grass Happens
12-18-2007, 11:09 PM
rye probably isn't the best choice, check with your local extension on what turf types are hardy in your area. Is there a height requirement you need to stay within? perhaps a prairie type grass? buffalo maybe?

Midstate Lawncare
12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
kill it off, till 3" deep, plant tall fescue, mow at 4" always. don't mow for the first 5 weeks after germination. Do you have a spray tank? put water in it and water this grass every day and charge out the a$$ for it.

GroundsGuy
12-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Is there some reason why you need to maintain rye grass in the parking lot islands?

Why not change it up and use small drought tolerant shade trees as centerpieces, surrounded with native Texas grasses? You would need to hand water until established, but afterwards very little maintenance would be required, as apposed to maintaining turf islands in the parking lot, which would require constant irrigation and maintenance attention.

Just a thought....

packey
12-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Where at in South Texas. How much rain are you getting? is the seed getting enough to germinate. What are you temps both day and night. Can you get a hose and sprinkler to the islands. You may have to baby sit it to get it started.

packey
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I see you are in San Antonio. Ok yes in the fall I would real good and then over seed with rye especailly if the grass their is a bermuda blend. It should only take about two to three weeks to see the rye coming up. I know it will sound like a pain but if you can get a way to water by carrying hoses or some other method you need to water the area. I also remember that san antonio soil has a bad habbit of compacting make sure this is not an issue. Good luck and if possible let me know what has been tried already maybe we can help figure your problem out.