PDA

View Full Version : payed site?

stslawncare
10-15-2001, 07:47 PM
there have been a few good points on wether ls should be payed, i am undecided. i can see good points and bad. payed would help weed out homeowners, and would also give chuck some money, it is definitly worth it. what u all think?

turfquip
10-15-2001, 07:54 PM
My vote is yes. This should be a paid site. The reduction in overall bandwidth consumption will pay dividends every month in reduced hosting fees.

But, it all depends on $$$. I(WE) don't have the big picture. If ad revenues are sufficient to pay the bills then it becomes a more difficult decision for Chuck. If ad revenues are not adequate, then you have to wonder when and if they ever will be?

If Chuck's not making his nut every month then he may need to plan a new strategy.

lawrence stone
10-15-2001, 07:58 PM
Does this mean I will be paid for my stellar agronomic advice?

An extra $200 a month would be nice.

gogetter
10-15-2001, 08:03 PM
I voted yes. It would likely keep out trouble makers that only come here to make trouble and contribute nothing.

I think you'd end up with a group of people that are more serious about thier businesses and more serious about the green industry in general.

stslawncare
10-15-2001, 08:15 PM
jon brought a good point up to on keeping trouble makers who dont care about the site out, stone i wish that were true! however it will get the people who dont care about ur wonderful advice out and the ones that appreciate it in.

XOFMOT
10-15-2001, 08:16 PM
Count me in as a paying customer! Heck, With the money I saved by having this site as a FREE CONSULTING FIRM, I feel I owe all of you some $$!---Seriously, this site is full of learning, I've saved $$$ just by advice given here. I've learned what to buy, what not to buy, what to look for, how to advertise and so on.....the best part is the information to be learned is coming right from the horses mouth. I don't think to many area LCO's would give out this kind of information to the guy who lives next door to them who wants to start a business. LAWNSITE.COM as a pay site is fine by me. It WILL weed out the rif-raf and I'm pretty sure that the average home-owner/ web surfer as soon as they see they have to pay to look---they will run. I like to share my knowledge and learn yours but not in front of home-owners. There are some things people just should not hear/see!

thelawnguy
10-15-2001, 09:27 PM
How much would you propose long-time contributors such as myself be paid?

stslawncare
10-15-2001, 09:31 PM
maybe the fee could be based upon ur member status ex. millenium, addict, senior etc?

Administrator
10-16-2001, 12:18 AM
I still say LawnSite.com will remain free as long as the sponsors keep paying the bills.

I do have some pretty cool future plans though. ;)

Chuck

Stonehenge
10-16-2001, 05:27 PM
This isn't the first time this has been proposed. I think it would also help to make sure some of my local competitors don't get anymore info about my methods without at least an ante.

Stellar agronomic advice? Is there a secret forum where this is occuring?

I think that nobody should get paid - if you think you're getting value from it, keep it. If not, get out. Just like a professional association. You get out of it what you put into it. If you pay your fee but don't get any value, you're more to blame than anybody.

SprinklerGuy
10-16-2001, 05:33 PM
amen, stonehenge

thelawnguy
10-16-2001, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Stonehenge
This isn't the first time this has been proposed.

Note that the proposals have never originated from that which would benefit, Chuck.

He has said time and again, no pay site. Why do lumberheads continue to beat this horse to death?

stslawncare
10-16-2001, 06:00 PM
though i see your point chuck on the banners paying ur bills, extra money? if lawnsite can pay ur bills, plus give u extra money, and if payed would also help weed out unwanted annoyances wouldnt it be worth it?

Stonehenge
10-16-2001, 06:30 PM
Lawnguy -

Because it's a good idea. If telling somebody multiple times about a good idea is a lumberhead, make mine a 4"x4". Maybe I'll achieve 6"x6" status by year's end.

Chuck's got the crack-dealer thing down...He's been giving it away for awhile, and people now have a taste for it. Any good capitalist knows what comes next.

And the banners paying the bills - Ok, I guess...But if my customers told me that they'd be OK with me charging them 10% more and expect nothing more in return, well, hmmmm.

Now, if I understand correctly, he is also working for JA, which I'm sure takes up a good deal of time, so the time may not be there to dedicate to this idea.

Eric ELM
10-16-2001, 07:30 PM
That is Chuck Smith that works for JA, not Chuck Keough. It is Chuck Keough who is the owner of Lawnsite.com and Plowsite.com. Chuck Smith is a Moderator at Plowsite.com and works for JA. They are both busy it seems. ;)

Stonehenge
10-16-2001, 07:36 PM
Y'know, as I was typing that I was crossing my fingers that I had the Chucks and their jobs right. Looks like I made it to 6"x6" already.

Thanks for the correction.

Eric ELM
10-16-2001, 07:58 PM
Stonehenge

A lot of members have made that mistake, so don't feel bad. :)

BTW, the biggest piece of lumber I ever cut was a 6x16 exposed beam ceiling rafters at a club house outside of Chicago. The hips for this roof were 38' long and had to be shipped in special from Washington. I triple checked my measurements and angles when I cut those hip rafters. ;)

My point, you have a ways to go just being at a 6x6.

Some times I feel like I'm the 6x16. :D

thelawnguy
10-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by administrator
I still say LawnSite.com will remain free as long as the sponsors keep paying the bills.

I would suggest that those of you who seem to disagree with the way Chuck runs HIS business (does he tell you how to run yours, or what to charge?) start your own pay site forum, then report back to us and let us know of your blazing success.

Finecut
10-17-2001, 11:17 AM
Lawngay,

Wasn't that the same scenario I suggested to you when you complained about Lawnsite? You must of felt it worthy of passing along to others.

Fatgut

Stonehenge
10-17-2001, 02:19 PM
Lawnguy - Is that how you are on the jobsite, with your employees, too?

"You have a suggestion?!? For me?!? Go start your own company and you can suggest all you want!!"

That's a great way to go about it. I'd recommend continuing with that policy.

thelawnguy
10-17-2001, 06:03 PM
Your suggestion is more akin to going to a dinner party and telling the host/hostess what to prepare and how.

If you wish to part with your money unnecessarily I can send you my address where you may mail all the checks you like.

Stonehenge
10-17-2001, 06:52 PM
I think you need to rework your analogy. If it were a dinner, it would be MORE akin to being invited, eating and LOVING the meal, having seconds, then recommending that I and the rest of those who enjoyed the dinner, because it was so good, reimburse the host for his trouble.

And I'm perfectly satisfied with the menu. But 'dine-and-dash' doesn't appeal to me.

As for sending you money, I'd do it gladly. Tell me something worth paying for. And calling me a lumberhead doesn't count. I can get that from my wife for free.

LoneStarLawn
10-17-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Stonehenge
I think you need to rework your analogy. If it were a dinner, it would be MORE akin to being invited, eating and LOVING the meal, having seconds, then recommending that I and the rest of those who enjoyed the dinner, because it was so good, reimburse the host for his trouble.

Such as offer to wash the dishes.

I think that is a very good analogy Jeff.

vipermanz
10-18-2001, 03:28 AM
i would definetly pay to be here all the time i love LS!!:)

LAWNGODFATHER
10-21-2001, 04:15 PM
Well send your checks to the Lawngodfather! I will make sure the funds are appropriated properly.

With what I understand, Lawn Site has lots of plans for the future, and a pay site is not in those plans. This is the bigest Lawn care and landscaping forum in the world, it is that for many reasons. One of which being free. There are many plans for this site in the future.

LGF:blob1:

kutnkru
10-21-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
... This is the bigest Lawn care and landscaping forum in the world, it is that for many reasons. ... This may be true. However with no disrespect intended - is it the BEST???? I do not agree with the fact that just because you are the biggest LCO on the block, that you are the BEST!!! :D

I personally am undecided as to what benefits it would give us to have this a pay site. In the beginning as Lawnicure/Hall.of.Forums many of the "oldtimers" here have discussed the exact same subjects many of us yung'uns are today.

I would think that if this site were to become a paysite that there should be some kind of benefit to us as members. Possibly by offering discounts thru parts vendors, or insurance rates, or company embroidery shops, etc.

Just my .02
Kris

stslawncare
10-21-2001, 09:32 PM
not that bad of an idea kris

vipermanz
10-22-2001, 03:58 AM
i like the parts vendor discounts idea

Flex-Deck
10-26-2001, 02:50 PM
We at Flex-Deck are more than willing to pay for a Sponsor Forum and Banners. I think the general membership should be free so as to attract as many diverse ideas and comments as possible. Charging to belong would in our opinion taint the broad base that is now part of this forum. Thanks, Brad

Stonehenge
10-26-2001, 04:11 PM
Brad, if I were in your shoes, I'd feel the same way. More exposure for you is a good thing. A pay site would limit your exposure.

But I'm not in your shoes. Sorry.