PDA

View Full Version : Starting a lawn business in florida

pyroracing85
12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Hello all. I am a college student currently I go two times a week. I also have about 5grand to spend on starting a lawn business. I have a mini truck that I can use for the business.

Please let me know how to get started. I am thinking about getting some used equipment and going from there I also think I could borrow a small open trailer.

Please tell me what I need and if this is a wise choice to do.

thanks a lot

pyroracing85
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Also, I already have a push lawn mower that is brand new. Do I need to upgrade my equipment to a zero turn?

Please let me know.

lifetree
12-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Buying used equipment to start out is the way to go ... probbably want to start with a small WB, maybe 36" !!

pyroracing85
12-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Buying used equipment to start out is the way to go ... probbably want to start with a small WB, maybe 36" !!

Where do you look for this equipment? I looked on craigslist..

backtobasicslawncare
12-18-2007, 08:56 PM
ebay, local dealers have used equipment. used equipment is a good way to start.

pyroracing85
12-18-2007, 08:58 PM

How much should I be looking to spend to start? I have 2k cash right now and could get up to 5k is needed.

pyroracing85
12-18-2007, 08:59 PM

and oh yea nice stock cars in the links. We race down here in FASCAR and do go karts also.

zima
12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Wise and smart thing to do is go work for a company or someone even if it is part time and see if this is the kind of work you want to get in to before you expend the ca$H, but if you done this before go ahead and start get a used comercial mower a 36 be fine and a 21 push mower for small areas, a blower, weedeater,edger and a 6x12 trailer and misc hand tools and you ready to go.

pyroracing85
12-20-2007, 12:00 AM
What would happen if I targeted small loans with my currently owned push lawn mower?

Then I would have to purchase a blower and a weedeater.

mowranger
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Hold on, before you go on a buying frenzy get a plan together! Like what are you going to mow? Res or Com. We only target residential so we can use simple mowing equipment!
Get the best 21" mower you can, we run Toro 21" mowers, stihl edgers, weed eaters and blowers. I can tell this with 2 21" mowers, 1 edger, 1 weed eater, 1 blower and 3 guys you can gross $3750 and thats @ $25 bucks a yard! I do not know your market so I just used $25! That is GROSS if you can get the business!

yamadooski
12-20-2007, 08:23 PM
You are starting in the cheapest market possible. I just picked up a flyer for 35.00 a month.
If dont have a 60" ztr you will not make a dime. If you are in the New Tampa, Westchase or Southshore area get ready for price quote shock.

We are slowly pulling out of New Tampa, found a nice area that still has high prices.

Every bone head out there is cutting grass from being laid off or trying to make ends meat.

I bet you can make more selling newspapers on the side of the road.

mikecaldwell1204
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree with yamadooski. Take the 5 grand and blow it at Mons Venus you will get a hell of alot better return on your investment.