PDA

View Full Version : DOT Fines... Ouch

stevesmowing
12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I just got back from court tonight for some DOT tickets. We had 4 tickets.

1. Mowers not strapped. (I knew they should be)
2. No warning triangles (I had been meaning to get them)
3. Inspection sticker was a photo copy since the real one was in the other truck. Can't use copies for the inspection stickers, only for registrations.
4. Gas cans in the trucks exceeded the 8 gallon max, vent caps were off, and cans not strapped down.

Mowers not strapped = $500
Gas cans = $350

Dirt Digger2
12-18-2007, 09:58 PM
that does stink...but if you ever have a big truck you realize that those numbers are nothing...we had a fine at one point that reached $5,000

razor1
12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Sorry to hear. Just wondering...What size truck & What type (highway or back road) of road? I've been pulled over twice but never had any fines.

tthomass
12-18-2007, 10:17 PM
So you can't carry a more then a total of 8 gallons......so if you have two 5 gallon cans you are illegal?

DBL
12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
the only one of my trucks im worried about would be my mowing crews truck....does anyone one know if cones are fine instead of warning triangles because they carry a few of them

tthomass
12-18-2007, 10:37 PM
how about just buy the triangle...........what $10? its winter, make a day out of it!

Gravel Rat
12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
If your trailer doesn't have a cage around it and it is a flatdeck trailer the mowers should be restrained some way.

I don't know what you need warning triangles for they are only meant for if you break down. I do have some in my truck I always had a triangle set behind the seat they come in a plastic box with I think 3 triangles.

As for gas cans they have to be capped and not able to tip over. I never seen a gas can that was larger than 5 gallons. Empty gas cans most people just toss them in the back of the pickup box loose and off they go.

The DOT has given carpenters fines for insecure loads hauling couple 2x4s by 10 or 12 in the box with the tailgate up.

I never gotten any DOT fines for loads etc knock on wood and I have hauled some ugly looking loads on my trucks. In the 15 years I never had a load fall off my truck.

stevesmowing
12-18-2007, 11:17 PM
how about just buy the triangle...........what $10? its winter, make a day out of it!

$28.41 at J-thomas for the set. One set needed for every truck tho :dizzy:

stevesmowing
12-18-2007, 11:18 PM
So you can't carry a more then a total of 8 gallons......so if you have two 5 gallon cans you are illegal?

you got it.

oh yea empty gas cans still have to be strapped down and SEALED because they have fumes.

stevesmowing
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
If your trailer doesn't have a cage around it and it is a flatdeck trailer the mowers should be restrained some way.

I have 2 foot sides on my trailer but I guess thats not enough. They were packed solid from front to back in that trailer there was no way they could slide unless it rolled over.

DBL
12-18-2007, 11:20 PM

yeah i had a set in each truck in the toolboxes and i got another truck adn took the toolbox out the mowing truck and put it in the new one and they always have cones and i was just wondering if they would be fine

Gravel Rat
12-18-2007, 11:26 PM
You can use cones but they have to be reflective or they are not allowed.

With road triangles they meet the reflective requirement for use at night.

Dirt Digger2
12-19-2007, 10:13 AM
also make sure all trucks have a fire extinguisher too...and if the break away brake kit on your trailer isn't working you're in for a world of hurt, thats usually the first thing they pull

lawn king
12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Massachusetts DOT towed me off the highway for non functioning trailer brakes! I couldnt complain as i knew they were not working! Im fully compliant now.

topsites
12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
you got it.

oh yea empty gas cans still have to be strapped down and SEALED because they have fumes.

Well, at least now maybe they stop thinking I'm nuts for never carrying spare gas with me, I tell you nothing beats a syphon :laugh:

But you guys do seem to have a few really anal things, like that stuff about the triangles...
I suppose once you get pulled everything is fair game, what it boils down to.

FearThisDeere
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Live and learn I guess. Those DOT guys don't play around. I can't believe the gas can things. I've been illegal for a long time.

JB1
12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
The first ticket I ever got, when I was 18 was from the DOT for a overweight grain truck. They aint no fun.

PROCUT1
12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
The best one that I see all the time are the guys with the 4x4 Mitsubishi fusos loaded to the top with mulch or dirt sitting at a checkpoint. Those trucks have huge beds but the GVW is only 12,500 and the truck weighs 11,000 empty. A couple of scoops of mulch and its overweight.

DoetschOutdoor
12-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Do you have any chance to tell your story in court? Like how you had 2 foot sides and therefor your mowers really cant go anywhere? Could you keep more than 8 gallons in an enclosed?

pyrocare
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I have found that the DOT regulations are very much so the interpetation of the inspecting agent. One agent will say it is ok while the other will say it is not.

In another business that I am involved in we carry HazMat and there was one instance where there were 3 or 4 agents inspecting at the gates of a convention we sell at regularly and it was slow so they all were working with us at the time. We had rented a truck and the rental company had their DOT numbers on the truck, but we also had ours and we were not sure what to do so we asked our local agents. They said to cover them. We asked them again when we were at the gates getting a level 4 inspection. The first agent said to leave them covered. The second agent (my dad and I were talking to seperate agents) said to uncover them. When the first agent came back around he was wondering were the tape went that covered them up. Even with in their inspecting unit they had disagreements on their regulations.

The fines you got were pretty light. The fines some of the other vendors have gotten have been over $5,000 and they have been put out of service until everything is fixed.

Tharrell
12-19-2007, 03:50 PM
What is your setup like? Do you have a DOT number? I'm just wondering if you are an everyday target or, just happened to get caught on a slow day?
I mow a couple of weigh stations for the state and they have never said anything to me even when I was pulling a loaded 14' trailer with a Dodge ram 50. One of them did raise an eyebrow but, he didn't do anything. Maybe they were giving me a pass because I mow there, I don't know. All the DOT stuff seems very confusing to me anyhow. Tony
PS I'm good now with a brand new GMC 2500HD and a 9k tag. I had them weigh my setup and I have about 800 lbs leftover.

davis45
12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
This stuff is unheard of around here. I always carry two full gas cans in the bed of my truck, unstrapped. I have only strapped my mowers down maybe once or twice. Never have carried triangles.

Dirt Digger2
12-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Do you have any chance to tell your story in court? Like how you had 2 foot sides and therefor your mowers really cant go anywhere? Could you keep more than 8 gallons in an enclosed?

yes, its like any other ticket...they hit you with everything they can and if you feel you were hammered up the @$$...which is usually the case...then you get a court date

mverick
12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Friend had a farm grain truck hauling Dirt. From one farm to another. No plates. Never had them as it was a farm truck. $3000 fine. But, he said the fine was a lot cheaper then the insurance and plates would have cost. LOL... Tandem....

lifetree
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm sure you've learned your lesson about these issues ... however, I haven't heard of there being a real big enforcement issue over these types of things in my area !!

GravelyNut
12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
As has been said, all depends on the DOT Trooper, location, attitude, and how busy they are. Farm truck used just for farming here can get by with just a printed tag saying it is a farm truck and the statue under Florida law that exempts them from needing one. I carry the triangles even in my private truck. Just comes from having had a Chauffeur's License/CDL for so long.

tthomass
12-20-2007, 12:14 AM
I stop at the weigh stations and talk to the guys inside. They get to know me and recognize my truck. I'm often green lighted before stopping on the scale. I did it to get to know them for one and also to have some questions answered vs a ticket. Besides that, I know a lot of VA Troopers and a few county boys. Its funny how close you can get to their car when they are on the side of the road and lay on the horn while going by as a nice little hello. 'Damn you boy, you came barreling down on me and scared the hell out of me'........ haha.

razor1
12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Watch out for those VA. troopers....

ďRemember Virginia; if you see an emergency vehicle stopped on the shoulder of the highway you must change lanes away from the stopped emergency vehicle. And if you canít change lanes, you must slow down and pass with caution. Itís not just a good idea, its Virginia Law!Ē

Final clip shows Slow Down/Move Over Logo and penalty of $2500 or 12 Months.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/PSA_SlowDownMoveOver_Transcript.shtm