PDA

View Full Version : Starting new lawnmowing buiness need help

nattayb
12-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone, My name is nate and im from Rhode Island, I attend the local university for engineering and I have just finished my first semester. I had a friend in highschool who worked about 20 lawns and made decent money, and I woudl really like to pursue somethign very similar. I am 18 and own my own car, push mower and weedwhacker. My freind reccomended putting an ad in the newspaper closer to the season starting as well as calling local landscaping buisness to ask for small lawns that they dotn want. I would appreciate any input on getting clients how to start or even if its worth buying a cheap truck for transportation etc. thankyou very much

shane mapes
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
first and for most you will need a truck.. you Can start out in the bed of your truck. get a bus. lic from your local city hall. check to see what your local city requires for ins.. you should never try to mow with out the lic. and ins.... start asking around the campus and your friends.... just make sure you are legit when you start ... it can run you more in the long run....good luck..

2 clowns mowing
12-19-2007, 08:17 AM
first of all you need a small truck you can use a car if it's heavy enough but you will need to haul trash at some point, 48" zero turn mower, trimmer and trim 21" mower. charge min $40 per yard for 1/2 hour of work that's $80.00 an hour. you can't make it on a push mower. you will pay off all of your equipment within a few months. don't tell the government that your in business and collect cash or checks from customers before you mow. thats pre-paid only because people will try not to pay you when they can. we do all of our accounts pre-paid and we don't have any problems with collecting. Odd jobs can be paid after work done. stay away from commercial accounts, they will file a 1099 against you and the IRS will track you down.
mow yard either twice a month or every week. customers choice. come up with a great logo, name and have signs printed up put these signs around everywhere you want to mow. stay away from newspapers for advertising. don't be afraid to come up with a crazy name that will attract people to your business. always do what you say to the customer even if it's for the whole summer that way you will get your customers back again. it's not their fault you screwed up and quoted to low. thats why you need to charge enough there is plenty of yards to mow out there. offer 10% off for seniors they will get you extra work and more customers to make up the deferents. i've been in business mowing for three years and have 2 trucks, trailers and 8 mowers now and everything is paid off. we also do yard work, light tree work, snow removal we gross over $250,000.00 per year! so good luck, Boss clown at 2 clowns mowing.

shane mapes
12-19-2007, 10:10 AM
first of all you need a small truck you can use a car if it's heavy enough but you will need to haul trash at some point, 48" zero turn mower, trimmer and trim 21" mower. charge min $40 per yard for 1/2 hour of work that's $80.00 an hour. you can't make it on a push mower. you will pay off all of your equipment within a few months. don't tell the government that your in business and collect cash or checks from customers before you mow. thats pre-paid only because people will try not to pay you when they can. we do all of our accounts pre-paid and we don't have any problems with collecting. Odd jobs can be paid after work done. stay away from commercial accounts, they will file a 1099 against you and the IRS will track you down.
mow yard either twice a month or every week. customers choice. come up with a great logo, name and have signs printed up put these signs around everywhere you want to mow. stay away from newspapers for advertising. don't be afraid to come up with a crazy name that will attract people to your business. always do what you say to the customer even if it's for the whole summer that way you will get your customers back again. it's not their fault you screwed up and quoted to low. thats why you need to charge enough there is plenty of yards to mow out there. offer 10% off for seniors they will get you extra work and more customers to make up the deferents. i've been in business mowing for three years and have 2 trucks, trailers and 8 mowers now and everything is paid off. we also do yard work, light tree work, snow removal we gross over $250,000.00 per year! so good luck, Boss clown at 2 clowns mowing.

are you lic. and insured ? the advice you gave him sounds pretty stupid . why would you tell him to do this work under the table. thats were the low balling starts ..we have enough dead beats in this field doing things illegal and you tell others to do the same....

Grass Happens
12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Very nice. Nothing says professional like cash only, and hand written receipt. Avoid commercial accounts so they cant 1099 you? very very nice. Best of luck to anyone who goes this route...

2 clowns mowing
12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
we are fully insured and legal. this guy is doing it part time so why go legal

Jay Ray
12-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Soon you should be deep into integrals, yeah, you got through derivatives okay. But unless you are up close to MENSA level, integrals are not so easy. Our first year calculus book was 1300 pages and the man went pell mell straight through it. His only rule was get it or get out. I couldn't cut the mustard. There were many like me.

If you want to be an engineer, you should stay deep in the integrals and the rest of it to make sure you get through the first year. Aren't you looking for an internship for the summer? You need to be working at getting that first engineering job after graduation now.

I worked the first summer in an instrumentation lab that served a chemical engineering department, trying to hold onto the dream. But when fall came, I knew that I would never get through calculus. I never looked that book in the face again.

pyroracing85
12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
I am going for engineer also. Mechanical at that. It is hard ****. I am in my 2 almost 3rd year. I will tell you it is hard. I have done a little lawn scaping on the side and some construction and I will tell you there is no feeling like getting all hot and sweaty and then going inside to study derivates and integrals. IT SUCKS!!!