PDA

View Full Version : Is there a shot to finish fall clean ups

siklid1066
12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Anybody going to attempt to finish there work for 2007.Here on Long Island we still have 20 percent ice and snow on the ground.The bulk of the ice is where the debri is and its iced in there.:hammerhead:::cry::dizzy:

topsites
12-19-2007, 09:26 AM
My shot is I don't WANT to deal with this crap much into January... :laugh:
But you do what you have to do, late is still far better than spring, I know that much.
And leaves here didn't fall until Thanksgiving, that's like 2-3 weeks late too...

My one bonus is I didn't get too many folks trying to jerk me around over it, that did help considerably.

So sometimes I have to look back and think, is there anything I could've done different that might help next year?
Now I'm fixing to head out again, a high of 54 outside per the weatherman, that's pretty decent around here.

AL Inc
12-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm still not giving up on finishing. We still have an inch or so of snow on the ground, but it is melting somewhat. I don't care if it is the week after Christmas or the first week in January, I'm going to try to finish. Still a lot of money on the table.

BMFD92
12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
this weekend temps are forecasted to be in the 40s and 50s with rain so hopefully everything will melt away

AL Inc
12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
How long before the "Who's working on Christmas Eve/Day?" thread starts? LOL:laugh:

jt5019
12-19-2007, 03:42 PM
we have a good frozen 8 to 10 inches on the ground and i still have 5 full cleanups left. Im about ready to give it up until spring.:hammerhead:

lawnguyland
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I went out today and finished a bunch. There were a few frozen areas I just left alone and will get later, but they all look 90-100% better than they did.

Al Inc.- I might work Christmas Eve during the day- cleaning gutters- should be done w clean-ups by this fri! I HOPE!

I saw a bunch more guys out today working-all with looks of "what the hell is this crap?"
Also saw some customers, all of whom were quite happy I was there.

I have to say that in general I've never seen this many leaves on most of the lawns in town this close to Christmas-very late leaf fall- mostly those God forsaken oaks.:dizzy: No more leaves allowed in the street either so all this wet leaf/snow mix gets hauled to the dump. I can not wait to be done.

Turfdude
12-19-2007, 08:04 PM
8 of us got 9 done today w/ 3 gutter cleanings. all but 1 left curbside for township p/u. none were full clean-ups - primarily concentrated on clearing leaves & debris from turf & beds... didn't give them any final mow/edge/trim & didn't cut back all/many perennials. We still have about 115 to do. Most of our larger props are done, so by next week, 8 guys can probably do about 20 places per day. We will probably work Monday morning, Thurs, Fri & maybe Sat next week.

We've lost more days this month to rain/snow & wind than we've been able to work - thats for sure.

VisionsLandscaping
12-19-2007, 08:59 PM
I was on my very last fall cleanup, i already completed the gutters,had about 30 minutes left of loading up the debris and it started POURING THE RAIN. nothing i could do. now theres snow on the leaves and ice on them for the last 4-5 days, but i plan on going back and finishing up so iu can get paid!

TREEGUARD
12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I thought i was done a few days ago but i had some customers call & want clean-ups so i am going to make a few calls tomorrow to see if i can fill a full day on friday I don't want to go out for only 4 houses. Good thing i did n't clean my equiptment yet.

lawnguyland
12-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I thought i was done a few days ago but i had some customers call & want clean-ups so i am going to make a few calls tomorrow to see if i can fill a full day on friday I don't want to go out for only 4 houses. Good thing i did n't clean my equiptment yet.

Even houses I finished late last week had a few leavs on them this week. Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...........

topsites
12-20-2007, 09:46 AM
That's just how come I still have like a dozen cleanups left, they just keep calling, but like was said might as well make a run for it.

Way I see things this is it, won't be no more money on the table until spring.
Now not to scare anybody but what if we have another drought?
No, I hope we don't and I didn't say it, but what if?
I say be prepared for the worst, then it's not so bad.
Every little bit helps, so I'll take what I can get, rake it in while you can.
Another month or two and it's over one way or another, for me anyhow, until spring.

SimonCX
12-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Finished all mine up 2 days ago, but still have 1 gutter cleaning and about 12-15 trees to remove for customers so it will be a busy January.

mdlwn1
12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm really surprised to hear anyone saying..."gonna let it go till spring" If I was your customer (and I wouldnt be because I would hire someone more professional) I would tell you to finish when weather allows or hit the road. Gotta get your azz out there and finish! Get up early... Work into the dark..Saturdays AND SUNDAYS.

SpudsM15
12-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Have about 50 c/u's left 10 of which will take 2-3 days... the rest are quick ones. Now that most of the ice melted today I was happy to maybe get some work done but only had 1 outta 4 workers show! Been like that everyday for the past 2 weeks. These guys just don't like to work in Dec! Also to my surpise the local dump decides to close down from the 24th -jan 2nd!!! thanks alot! I bet the weather will be nice but we won't have anyroom in the truck to dispose the debris!!!! Just can't win.

topsites
12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh dang I didn't think about the landfill, I bet mine will do something similar...

But I did get 4 no-haulers done today, it was BEAUTIFUL weather, mid 40's to low 50's, almost t-shirt material.
Cloudy start but full sun ending, leaves a bit damp from yesterday but I really can't ask for more.

Now that knocked some crap out of the way, down to 8 or so.
Two more for tomorrow, 1 BIG no-hauler, then a light one to finish the day.

As for the haulers, I got 2 that are just going to be royal, 1 relatively easy.
I'll likely save those two for January, it's not going to make much difference, pita is pita.
If I run hard the rest of the month, take the 25th off and maybe another day I should be down to those 2.

Then I got some trimming job, hopefully a few more calls, who knows?

lawnguyland
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Getting closer here- should be done with clean-ups tomorrow then gutters whenever I get to them...peace monkeys