PDA

View Full Version : Winter Sales

Lite4
12-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey Guys,
Is it typical to have a sales slowdown for lighting in the month of December or do really notice any difference at all? I have not had enough seasons doing just lighting only to know if sales are usually not as common around the holidays for everyone in this industry. I know in landscaping things slow down because it is difficult to work the ground at this time of year. But our weather here is generally conducive to lighting all year round. I am just wondering if I am just sucking at sales right now or if people are just not interested at the moment. I havn't gotton a lot of no's, just not right nows. Is this normal for everyone?

I hear a lot of guys talk on here about selling all year round and it doesn't make a difference of the season. Just wondering if I am wasting my time trying to sell right now around the holidays.

Thanks for any input.

JoeyD
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Mike, I know others will have there experiences to share. I think it really comes down to territory. Keep pushing and setting up demo's. For the next month people are trying to re coup from the holiday spending but come closer to tax time Feb. March you should see a real resurgance.

Mike M
12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Joey, that's Tim.

Tim, I just got off the phone with another demo call. That's four booked from my mailing of 1400 that went out a couple weeks ago. I also have two referrals. I will be breaking down one in a few hours and setting up another. I love the over-nighter whole portrait/one zone demo thing. Whether or not I close, at least I'm busy and networking, and getting exposure. I hate sitting inside.

And I think Joey is right about the instant upsell. I tell people I have x number lights on the scene, they say wow, that many? I say yeah, we can scale back if you want, and they say no, we like it like this.

My cards just have a simple pic on front, and "Keep this card for a free demo (reg. $65)" on back. Bury the part-time lighting guys or landscapers that don't have nice demo's or the willingness to put them up!!

I have to admit, it's alot of work. But at least you can just leave it all there, go home and sleep.

I will be saturating the neighborhoods on my next quantum mailing where I got responses. Next card may not say free demo, but free consultation instead. I'll see what happens.

Mike M

JoeyD
12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Sorry Tim, I meant to address you.

pete scalia
12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Joey, that's Tim.

Tim, I just got off the phone with another demo call. That's four booked from my mailing of 1400 that went out a couple weeks ago. I also have two referrals. I will be breaking down one in a few hours and setting up another. I love the over-nighter whole portrait/one zone demo thing. Whether or not I close, at least I'm busy and networking, and getting exposure. I hate sitting inside.

And I think Joey is right about the instant upsell. I tell people I have x number lights on the scene, they say wow, that many? I say yeah, we can scale back if you want, and they say no, we like it like this.

My cards just have a simple pic on front, and "Keep this card for a free demo (reg. $65)" on back. Bury the part-time lighting guys or landscapers that don't have nice demo's or the willingness to put them up!!

I have to admit, it's alot of work. But at least you can just leave it all there, go home and sleep.

I will be saturating the neighborhoods on my next quantum mailing where I got responses. Next card may not say free demo, but free consultation instead. I'll see what happens.

Mike M

Free Demo? You are setting yourself up for some real time wasting my friend. I realize that you have to start somewhere but I'd rather hire the guy at the top of the hill and not the guy with the FREE demo. At least get a C note from them. Your going to attract alot of un qualifieds with a free demo. Something free brings cheapos out of the woodwork like nothing else.

Mike M
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Free Demo? You are setting yourself up for some real time wasting my friend. I realize that you have to start somewhere but I'd rather hire the guy at the top of the hill and not the guy with the FREE demo. At least get a C note from them. Your going to attract alot of un qualifieds with a free demo. Something free brings cheapos out of the woodwork like nothing else.

I agree, even though I'm just sitting on my arse with not much going on. Plus, I think I lost a lot of weight the last week with these demo's. And I met some interesting people.

My next mailing I will charge a flat fee and offer to credit them upon purchase. Not only will that shake out the cheap freebee types, but it will also kinda pre-qualify the serious prospects that are not so worried about the cost. And like you said, it makes my image seem more credible.

pete scalia
12-19-2007, 09:28 PM

I agree, even though I'm just sitting on my arse with not much going on. Plus, I think I lost a lot of weight the last week with these demo's. And I met some interesting people.

My next mailing I will charge a flat fee and offer to credit them upon purchase. Not only will that shake out the cheap freebee types, but it will also kinda pre-qualify the serious prospects that are not so worried about the cost. And like you said, it makes my image seem more credible.

Excellent that you have realized it. If you don't have respect for your own time and get paid for it then no one else will either. Lotsa luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Lite4
12-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Demos, Geeez, All I have been doing is demos. I do on average between 2 and 3 a week right now. Average size from 16-50 lights. All the houses in the various neighborhoods I am demoing in are from 500k to 1mil. in value. I know it is like "prospecting' for gold, and that is the way I think about it when I set them up. The homeowner I set it up for may not be initially interested but it gets me set up in the neighborhood to be seen for 2-3 days and I don't care who you are, that is pretty cheap store front space. I will usually get 1-2 calls from other homeowners in the neighborhood that are interested and I will then demo at there house after, and give them a bid. Just seems like everybody around here is waiting until after the holidays to pull the trigger. I guess I can't blame them, I probably would too.

Oh, well. Like Mike said it gives me something to do and spread exposure a bit more. If all it does it keep me top of mind when the mailers hit, that is extra reinforcement.
At this point in the game I just don't feel right charging for demos when I am fishing for the whole neighborhood and am such a young company. I know the time will come this year when time may demand me to do that.

Pro-Scapes
12-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Tim... December has always been traditionally slow for us as far as landscaping. Its too soon to tell for lighting. We only did 2 small systems last december but this year december was our biggest month with 2 more to go in still. we just completed a week long project and the client added more already but this project came out to 3900w total installed. Need to add 4 lightoliers ... 2 bk shastas and a couple of other spots.

I got 2 more leads from this one and look forward to meeting with them but want to wait til they walk thru the backyard at this project first.

Lite4
12-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey that is great Billy, I am glad you are stayin busy.

Pro-Scapes
12-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Demos, Geeez, All I have been doing is demos. I do on average between 2 and 3 a week right now. Average size from 16-50 lights. All the houses in the various neighborhoods I am demoing in are from 500k to 1mil. in value. I know it is like "prospecting' for gold, and that is the way I think about it when I set them up. The homeowner I set it up for may not be initially interested but it gets me set up in the neighborhood to be seen for 2-3 days and I don't care who you are, that is pretty cheap store front space. I will usually get 1-2 calls from other homeowners in the neighborhood that are interested and I will then demo at there house after, and give them a bid. Just seems like everybody around here is waiting until after the holidays to pull the trigger. I guess I can't blame them, I probably would too.

Oh, well. Like Mike said it gives me something to do and spread exposure a bit more. If all it does it keep me top of mind when the mailers hit, that is extra reinforcement.
At this point in the game I just don't feel right charging for demos when I am fishing for the whole neighborhood and am such a young company. I know the time will come this year when time may demand me to do that.

alot of people will not want workers around their homes for the holidays. We are going to have our cabinets redone and some other home improvments but we are waiting til the holidays are done. We are just to busy right now to let someone toss a wrench in there.

Try asking for a very small schedual deposit or offer an incentive to prebook now. If you inform them they may need to wait several months when every one calls quickly after the holiday they might be willing to lay out a 200 dollar booking deposit and then place them on your calandar. Contact them a week before to obtain deposit and your in like flynn.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Try asking for a very small schedual deposit or offer an incentive to prebook now. If you inform them they may need to wait several months when every one calls quickly after the holiday they might be willing to lay out a 200 dollar booking deposit and then place them on your calandar. Contact them a week before to obtain deposit and your in like flynn.

The scheduling deposit is a very good strategy. I am currently booking summer 2008 work for outdoor and Spring 2008 work for interiors. I offer my clients a locked price based on my 2007 Quote as long as I have a signed contract along with a 10% deposit by January 10th 2008. This is followed by a 40% deposit on April 2nd. If they miss the deadline, then they can still book the job, but the deposit is 50% and the final invoice will be adjusted to reflect 2008 pricing.

Taking 'very small' deposits can be risky as some might be inclined to walk away from a couple of hundred dollars if their situation changes over several months. 10% now is enough to keep their interest and 50% equals a lock and key.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
12-20-2007, 06:03 PM
if thier situation and needs change you will be either not getting the job or re proposing the job. I agree that 10% is fair. If they are a serious client 5 to 10% should be of little issue and should get your attention enough to place them on your calendar. This will also seperate casual winter time shoppers from a serious client.

Keep in mind the booking deposits can also bite you should there be a rapid increase in materials costs. Use caution and your own judgement. Another wise idea might be to book as XX% and purchase and store your materials now. If the client knows you have their best intrest in mind and you are trying to save them money on the rise in materials they will be grateful

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Keep in mind the booking deposits can also bite you should there be a rapid increase in materials costs. Use caution and your own judgement.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention one critical component of my contract booking program....

I have a great relationship with my distributor. I am able to book my supplies forward to spring at 2007 prices as long as I have orders in place by mid January or so, before 2008 pricing is set in stone. ( I simply provide them with a "booking order" that looks like a normal Purchase Order with unique terms attached.) This is a critical component of the program, without it the booked jobs could come back and bite you if materials jack up in price.

Have a great day.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 08:02 PM

I just read an article by Robert Kiyosaki in Entrepreneur about this free thing and how it attracts "freeloaders" who don't want to spend money but rather be as cheap as possible.

To some extent, I agree with demos. For instance, it's more exposure to the neighbors, since you're there more. Exposure is always a good thing.

I think it really comes down to preference. If you don't mind doing the extra work and taking time away from your personal life, then demo away. The main thing is making sure it's not costing you time that could be spent making money. As long as there's no opportunity cost of doing demos, and you don't mind, I don't see how they are a bad thing.

For me, I've never had an issue not doing demos, and until I do have issues, I will not add it to my pitch. I'm fortunate enough to have a great website that I get lots of compliments on, and this has sold many deals for me --- customers tell me this explicitly. That's all I need to hear.

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I just read an article by Robert Kiyosaki in Entrepreneur about this free thing and how it attracts "freeloaders" who don't want to spend money but rather be as cheap as possible.

You'd better believe it.

Mike M
12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, on my next mailer, it will state my nominal fee of sixty-five bucks. That's cheap, but a lot different than free. We'll see how it pans out. Kinda funny, charging for a sales demonstration. But then again, they are getting some snapshot design ideas, too. At least I am getting exposure and extra problem-solving and design practice in return.

Chris J
12-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm fortunate enough to have a great website that I get lots of compliments on, and this has sold many deals for me --- customers tell me this explicitly. That's all I need to hear.

What is this web address bmwsmity? Could you add it to your profile?

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, on my next mailer, it will state my nominal fee of sixty-five bucks. That's cheap, but a lot different than free. We'll see how it pans out. Kinda funny, charging for a sales demonstration. But then again, they are getting some snapshot design ideas, too. At least I am getting exposure and extra problem-solving and design practice in return.

Sales 101- First you must sell yourself before you can sell others on your ideas. By your comments you seem to think your demo is not worth even $65. Well if you don't think it's worth $65 then you should do something about changing it to deliver more than $65 worth of value to the prospect. Correct me if i'm wrong but demo's are very time consuming and you have an investment in materials right? Do you drive to your prospects home in a vehicle that consumes gas , is registered and insured. Sit down and figure out what that costs you and then tell me if your $65 "sales demonstration" is worth it or not. I'm not even mentioning the shop at home convenience for the homeowner. You have to really think this out better and start valuing your time and charge for it. You are worth it.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
What is this web address bmwsmity? Could you add it to your profile?

Sure man...www.s2lightscapes.com

I definitely need to add some more pics....need a better camera too. That should help out even more.

Chris J
12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Sure man...www.s2lightscapes.com

I definitely need to add some more pics....need a better camera too. That should help out even more.

Hey,
Just saw the link on another post, Thanks. Impressive site, and looks very professional. Did you do all of the work in the photos?

Mike M
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
First you must sell yourself before you can sell others on your ideas

I swear I agree. That is exactly what I've been thinking about every day this past week. I need to start selling and promoting "me", and not just the "lights" or even the "lighting effects."

My next post card will say something like:
"Stylish illumination by Mike M., outdoor lighting designer."
"Call to set up a consultation, or better yet, book a great deal on a lighting demo of Mike's designs at your home for only $65.00"

Or something like that.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey,
Just saw the link on another post, Thanks. Impressive site, and looks very professional. Did you do all of the work in the photos?

there is one that's just a stock photo to show what i could do given the right background....the one that's around a pool with trees. the pool lighting i did in the other pics didn't really have any good plants or trees around it.

btw,,,,saw your truck in another post - i love the wrap man!

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 10:34 PM

I swear I agree. That is exactly what I've been thinking about every day this past week. I need to start selling and promoting "me", and not just the "lights" or even the "lighting effects."

"Call to set up a consultation, or better yet, book a great deal on a lighting demo of Mike's designs at your home for only $65.00"

Or something like that.

Not so sure this is a great idea man...who really knows who you are? I think a better approach on the card is selling the experience the customer gets from your work - what's in it for them.

Then, when you're face to face, sell yourself by your actions. Answering calls promptly, being punctual, concentrating on the customers NEEDS and desires, rather than simply what you think looks "correct". People really appreciate this.

Mike M
12-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Answering calls promptly, being punctual, concentrating on the customers NEEDS and desires

Okay, how's this:

"Call today, I'll answer promptly. If I'm not ten minutes early for your appointment, I'm ten minutes late. I'll satisfy your hunger and lust for illumination."

Actually, the whole needs and desires thing is reminiscent of my old psych 101 days and Freud stuff. It all comes down to sex and death. How's this:

"Mike M will fulfill your needs and desires. Without me, darkness is death."

Sorry, man, I'm having my first cervesa in a week.

Chris J
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
there is one that's just a stock photo to show what i could do given the right background....the one that's around a pool with trees. the pool lighting i did in the other pics didn't really have any good plants or trees around it.

btw,,,,saw your truck in another post - i love the wrap man!

You might want to take a closer look at that truck dude. On your web site home page, top picture (second from the left) look familiar? That's my job pal! Did you get this pic from Kichler? I'm not gonna come get you over it cause it's one that I let go of, but man....... Don't you think you should use your own work for your web site? I'm somewhat disappointed in you my brother. I think you should have your site designer make some changes real quick.

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM

Or something like that.

You are mis understanding my recommendation

You must sell yourself on your product /service first meaning you must believe in it and know it's worth more than you are selling it for before attempting to sell it to someone else.

Selling yourself is not a bad thing either but that's not what I meant.

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 10:52 PM
You might want to take a closer look at that truck dude. On your web site home page, top picture (second from the left) look familiar? That's my job pal! Did you get this pic from Kichler? I'm not gonna come get you over it cause it's one that I let go of, but man....... Don't you think you should use your own work for your web site? I'm somewhat disappointed in you my brother. I think you should have your site designer make some changes real quick.

Immitation is the finest form or flattery.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:03 PM

PM sent...we'll discuss in private.

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 11:05 PM

If Kichler gave away a contractors photo without permission then I would think that would be grounds to discontinue using their product. Joey D is waiting in the wings with open arms. All brass not the cheap aluminum that is guaranteed to rust. Why support a manufacturer that has such close ties to the DIY market by selling their lights through home depot and Lowe's. You can argue that it's not contractor grade but I don't care. Customers perceive it to be the same quality under the Kichler brand name. perceptions are expensive and nearly impossible to change. I say boycott kichler in support of our brother and fellow contractor Chris J.

Mike M
12-20-2007, 11:06 PM
You must sell yourself on your product /service first meaning you must believe in it and know it's worth more than you are selling it for before attempting to sell it to someone

Okay, Just my name and phone number, with a pic of Chris's upcoming bridge job on the front.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:10 PM
If Kichler gave away a contractors photo without permission then I would think that would be grounds to discontinue using their product. Joey D is waiting in the wings with open arms. All brass not the cheap aluminum that is guaranteed to rust. Why support a manufacturer that has such close ties to the DIY market by selling their lights through home depot and Lowe's. You can argue that it's not contractor grade but I don't care. Customers perceive it to be the same quality under the Kichler brand name. perceptions are expensive and nearly impossible to change. I say boycott kichler in support of our brother and fellow contractor Chris J.

dont know about boycotting them, but it's pretty lame they sent a pic saying it was okay to use so i could depict representations of what i can do.

i never claimed it to be my work, and it isn't in my portfolio section, just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.

one thing i can say is, there is NO WAY i'm ever sending any pics to anyone but customers.

i do remember chris having issues with this picture once before. what a pain.

Lite4
12-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Right on Pete, I couldn't agree with you more on this one!!!

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:18 PM
You must sell yourself on your product /service first meaning you must believe in it and know it's worth more than you are selling it for before attempting to sell it to someone

Okay, Just my name and phone number, with a pic of Chris's upcoming bridge job on the front.

wow....cold blooded (in my best rick james voice).

Mike M
12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.

hehe

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
dont know about boycotting them, but it's pretty lame they sent a pic saying it was okay to use so i could depict representations of what i can do.

i never claimed it to be my work, and it isn't in my portfolio section, just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.

one thing i can say is, there is NO WAY i'm ever sending any pics to anyone but customers.

You sound like an honest guy who was wronged almost as bad as Chris was. I say a boycott is in order. Thanks for your support Tim.

Lite4
12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
You know, This brings up the topic of posting photos on this site and having others copy and use them. Personally I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me in my area of influence. But then again it probably would be a good idea to watermark all photos with your logo when posting just to be safe. It is a public forum after all.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.

hehe

laugh laugh.

glad i could provide some entertainment for the evening.

i dunno, maybe pete's boycotting idea isn't sounding too bad afterall.

Mike M
12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I was gonna use a nice pond photo recently, but it said Pete's Ponds on it. Dang.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
You know, This brings up the topic of posting photos on this site and having others copy and use them. Personally I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me in my area of influence. But then again it probably would be a good idea to watermark all photos with your logo when posting just to be safe. It is a public forum after all.

this is one of the reasons i previously did not post my website on here...because i dont want someone taking my photos (that are explicitly labeled as being mine, and not represented as public domain).

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I was gonna use a nice pond photo recently, but it said Pete's Ponds on it. Dang.

hey now easy does it. Now you are entering my domain and I'm not likin it.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:31 PM

hmmm. with all the laughs flying Mike, why don't you let us view YOUR website.

we'd probably all be in shock when we find a collection of all the photos we've ever posted on lawn site.

j/k :laugh:

Chris J
12-20-2007, 11:34 PM
dont know about boycotting them, but it's pretty lame they sent a pic saying it was okay to use so i could depict representations of what i can do. Don't blame Kichler, they are doing nothing outside of their rights. You needed pictures, and they sent you some. You should be thankful.

i never claimed it to be my work, and it isn't in my portfolio section, just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.Come on, it's on your home page! You don't expect us to believe that it's not your work?

one thing i can say is, there is NO WAY i'm ever sending any pics to anyone but customers.See Below.

As I've told you guys before, when you submit photos to contests, you expose yourself to a wide variety of future events. This photo is one that I submitted in my early years and has been long forgotten. I don't hold any grudge toward bmwsmitty for using it, although I my hope is that everyone will always use their own work to describe their own style. However, I understand that I also once had to get started, and I needed some graphics to get started with. I really don't remember what the guys name was, but I do know that I had his permission to use his photo. I guess I feel it is only appropriate that you have permission to use other's work; therefore, it is a matter of morals and ethics. In the spirit of Christmas, I am going to leave this as a gift. Good luck to you as I hope you gain an enormous amount of business off of it.

Lite4
12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
hmmm. with all the laughs flying Mike, why don't you let us view YOUR website.

we'd probably all be in shock when we find a collection of all the photos we've ever posted on lawn site.

j/k :laugh:

Hey now that is an awesome idea. I am having a website built right now. I bet I could squeeze in a few of those awesome pics from Joey. You guys would believe me if I told you I flew down to SO Cal to install those wouldn't you?:laugh::laugh:

Mike M
12-20-2007, 11:36 PM
On the Kichler topic, again my disclaimer, I'm just a beginner, but...

That photo recently posted of the corroded Kichler AZT freaked me right the frig out. My new ecomony material for spots has been upgraded to copper.

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
As I've told you guys before, when you submit photos to contests, you expose yourself to a wide variety of future events. This photo is one that I submitted in my early years and has been long forgotten. I don't hold any grudge toward bmwsmitty for using it, although I my hope is that everyone will always use their own work to describe their own style. However, I understand that I also once had to get started, and I needed some graphics to get started with. I really don't remember what the guys name was, but I do know that I had his permission to use his photo. I guess I feel it is only appropriate that you have permission to use other's work; therefore, it is a matter of morals and ethics. In the spirit of Christmas, I am going to leave this as a gift. Good luck to you as I hope you gain an enormous amount of business off of it.

As always, Chris J is the man.

I'll update everyone when I get a new pic up :drinkup:

Chris J
12-20-2007, 11:39 PM
this is one of the reasons i previously did not post my website on here...because i dont want someone taking my photos (that are explicitly labeled as being mine, and not represented as public domain).

What? You don't want people stealing the photos that you stole? Now that's classic!

Mike M
12-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I hope you gain an enormous amount of business off of it.

Chris, from what, that little filler photo? Please. He could have used some microsoft clip art cartoon just as easily. hehe

bmwsmity
12-20-2007, 11:45 PM
heh, given to me as unstolen though really stolen via kichler.

btw....i just shot an email to my web dude to change the pic ASAP.

the laughs keep on comin from Mike, but still no site. hmmmmmmmm ;)

pete scalia
12-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Don't blame Kichler.....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mike M
12-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Mike M has no flippin site. But I have a stupid logo, a business card, 50 cents a sheet letterhead, and a white truck with one remaining magnet (the other got blown off the other night when it was windy. I had the driver side magnet hidden in my truck to sneak by a gate posing as a friend of a prospective customer, it got bent a little, and didn't stick good when I put it back on), a fancy $700 church bulletin ad which to date has generated a $25 tree stake sale, and a land-line phone so B2B sales guys can reach me. I bought a digital camera, if biz doesn't pick up, I'll head to Jacksonville to take my own original pic's of Chris's work.

bmwsmity
12-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Mike M has no flippin site. But I have a stupid logo, a business card, 50 cents a sheet letterhead, and a white truck with one remaining magnet (the other got blown off the other night when it was windy. I had the driver side magnet hidden in my truck to sneak by a gate posing as a friend of a prospective customer, it got bent a little, and didn't stick good when I put it back on), a fancy $700 church bulletin ad which to date has generated a $25 tree stake sale, and a land-line phone so B2B sales guys can reach me. I bought a digital camera, if biz doesn't pick up, I'll head to Jacksonville to take my own original pic's of Chris's work.

wow...guess i touched a nerve there.

i especially loved the "phone so b2b sales guys can reach me"....I totally feel your pain there. except my number goes straight to my cell, for even more fun times of incessant calling about whether or not i take credit card payments yet.

Chris J
12-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Your Hired!!! I can't do it!

Mike M
12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Naw, I'm having fun at my own expense. The website I'm putting off for photo's with my new camera. My only point is that I'm still just a rookie. I may have to resort to marketing images from manu's, too. Just now I'm paranoid.

For ethical reasons, this is how I did my last postcard, I used a stock color photo from a manu (provided by them with their permission), and put their logo on it. On the back of the card, I used my logo in black and white with my own written copy. I tell my customers I'm new, and that I'd love to show them what I can do with a demo.

pete scalia
12-21-2007, 12:08 AM

This is some funny stuff. keep at it . Things will change. Listen to ole Pete's advice. He did over 600K last year. Or at least that's what he claims and others dispute.

bmwsmity
12-21-2007, 12:11 AM
for those who are budget-conscious, my web guy did my site for $100 up front and $75 a month, including hosting and 1/2 hour of labor each month.

if it weren't for this type of fee structure, i could never have gotten my site up so soon.

if anyone would like to get his contact info, i'd be happy to pass it along, it's been a great experience working with them.

Mike M
12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah, it was so freaking windy the other day, I also lost a six foot ladder off my truck and didn't realize it until I got to the Atlantic Bread Company for lunch. I was startled and worried about it triggering an awful accident. I did the right thing, after soup and a sandwich, I went back to look for it.

pete scalia
12-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Oh yeah, it was so freaking windy the other day, I also lost a six foot ladder off my truck and didn't realize it until I got to the Atlantic Bread Company for lunch. I was startled and worried about it triggering an awful accident. I did the right thing, after soup and a sandwich, I went back to look for it.

Stopping for Lunch was your first mistake in business. Remember what Gordon Gecko said-

'Lunch is for wimps"

Mike M
12-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I think what brought me in there was having to pee really bad. I can hardly afford soup. It was that deal "1/2 bowl of soup and 1/2 sandwhich."

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I think what brought me in there was having to pee really bad. I can hardly afford soup. It was that deal "1/2 bowl of soup and 1/2 sandwhich."

Mike, have no fear... perservere!

9 years ago, my first year in this business, I had sales revenue of some $2400.00 ( I kid you not! One job.) I was driving a 1986 Chev pickup, working full time as a truck driver for BOC Gasses and driving around to community bulletin boards posting a single page glossy 'flyer' to act as my marketing. Now I am doing over 200 times that first year's sales with steady growth.

Find the Passion and let your clients share in it. People just love doing business with others who have a passion for their work. It is infectious.

Have a great day.

pete scalia
12-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Scalia- 600K
Granola- 480K

looks like Pete is the higher grosser in 07
Better luck next time. There's always next year Granola.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Wrong again, check your math.

But other then "Pete", who really cares?

I would like to come down and visit you in 08 and see how you manage to eat your 'gross'. Its all about the NET dont you know.

pete scalia
12-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Wrong again, check your math.

But other then "Pete", who really cares?

I would like to come down and visit you in 08 and see how you manage to eat your 'gross'. Its all about the NET dont you know.

I stand corrected

Scalia- 600K
Granola-100K

That's more like it. Thanks for pointing out the error

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Now there you go... much better "Pete".

To be completely forthcoming to you, last year I actually sold $50K in lighting. Wow what a milestone it was too! I can't believe how good it feels to finally net more then $10k per year! My kids can now eat dinner at home here with us, and I finally got them some winter boots. Next year I hope to move out of my RV and put a downpayment on a lease of a nice new doublewide.

Merry Christmas!

klkanders
12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Man this thread is a good read!
Mike that was some funny stuff.........are you hitchhiking to the AOLP conference?
Who needs a comedy night out if Mike M is around?
Can we take up a collection to replace his lost magnetic sign ...oh and that ladder too! :)

Mike M
12-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Mike, have no fear... perservere!

James, I didn't know you were an ice road trucker! If you can turn a profit like that on moose farms, I guess there is hope for me in a resort town.

I appreciate the support!!!

I'm kidding about mooses, you actually have a very similar demographic, just more spread out.

JoeyD
12-21-2007, 11:42 AM
For those of you thinking of boycotting any other manufacturer, the grass is greener over here at Unique...LOL....

As for photos being stolen, imagine how we felt when we are the IA and some knockoff companyhad one of our jobs on the cover of their CATALOG no less. Ithad our LIGHTS IN THE PICTURE, they didnt even super impose their own in. well why would they. On top of that they had stolen all of our fixture names and just put them on different ligths. Horrible but hilarious. We say heres the real deal and heres the Tijuana line. Now do you want to crap your pants after you eat this taco?? Yeah stick with the USDA approved stuff!!