PDA

View Full Version : Running without a muffler on a V8

TheChiefsLawnCare
12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
A friend of mine has an 06 1500 silverado without his muffler and it sounds nice but im wondering if running it witout a muffler will do any damage to the engine. Also if its illegal to run without a muffler. So basically, whats your opinion on running a V8 truck without a muffler. I am keeping my cats on in whatever direction I go(Flowmaster 40 series, or no muffler).

hosejockey2002
12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't know if it will hurt the truck, but if I were your customer I would think you were a jerk and look elsewhere for someone more professional. If you want a professional image, your truck should be seen, not heard.

MarcSmith
12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
mufflers on on to keep noise level below a certian amount and are mandated by DOT for auto makers. In some place like FL they have no inspections so you can get away with running o2 sims, no cats and straight pipes....

Personally I'd never do it on a work truck. if you want to sound cool when you are not working just install some cut-outs...

FearThisDeere
12-19-2007, 04:02 PM
It won't hurt the truck any, but you should check with your local laws like MarcSmith said. Some states will let you slide, some won't. The cutout idea is good if you are worried about what your customers might think, but if you don't care run it with straight pipes for a while and see what you think. You might have more of a raspy sound and a small loss of low end torque. A muffler like a Flowmaster 40 will give you a deeper more refined sound.

laird006
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I currently don't have any mufflers on my truck and will soon be putting them back on. I don't want to look bad when I am in a neighborhood doing work. That and after a while it sucks trying to talk on a cell phone like that.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2007, 06:11 PM
i had to cut the flowmaster we had on our silverado 6.0L truck off b/c of rusting issues, had to run like that for about a week, damn that thing was soo loud it would give me a headache if i drove it for longer than 10 minutes no joke, plus you lose low end because of decreased scavenging effect.

PlatinumLandCon
12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
mufflers on on to keep noise level below a certian amount and are mandated by DOT for auto makers. In some place like FL they have no inspections so you can get away with running o2 sims, no cats and straight pipes....

Personally I'd never do it on a work truck. if you want to sound cool when you are not working just install some cut-outs...

Or even better, electric cut outs:weightlifter:. Flip 1 switch, and in 2-3 seconds they're open and ready to go.

M&SLawnCare
12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
No it wont hurt the truck. So long as it still has a pipe and exaust isn't released from underneath the vehicle then its not a safty concern and should pass (this however can varry from state to state, i used to inspect in PA) inspection assuming the noise isn't essesive. I ran my truck without it for a few months and it was still a lot quieter than some of my friends trucks that had after market muflers on (my truck has dual inline cats). So just be careful taking it off incase you don't get the sound you where expecting.

TheChiefsLawnCare
12-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, its not really a work truck, its like a work truck two days out of the week. The other 5 days its a pleasure truck. Sooo, Im thinkin of cuttin the muffler off, and puttin a piece of pipe in its place, clamp it, hopefully do all this work myself to save the money, and then see what its like, and if I really dont like the noise level or the sound, then jus go and get the flows put on there. Only thing that im thinking about is that I wanna two pipes coming out the back and it would be much easier to do that if I would have the single in dual out muffler. However, im sure i can ask the guys at the muffler shop to do the two pipes if i decide to do no muffler.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
i agree that cutouts would be your best option, you can still do all the work yourself and have the best of both worlds.