PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 engine tick

Tim03
12-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Hello all

Hopefully someone has experience with this.

A few years back I bought a 2001 CHevy 2500 HD 6.0. This truck has been used hard, it was a snow truck at a DC the size of a city block in Michigan.

Since the day I bought it, there has been an engine tick. The only time you can hear it is when you drive over 50 miles per hour for more then 30 seconds, like cruise on the highway. If you get off the highway an drive it under 50 the tick goes away.

Other than that, the engine runs fine (and it has a very healthy appetite for gas, I rarely drive it).

Anyone care to guess what that tick is? I took it to a dealer and was told they would have to tear into the engine to find out what that is, which is at least $400.00 right there without fixing a thing.

SiteSolutions
12-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Not sure about that one. An exhaust leak makes a ticking noise, but you would expect that to change as the engine warmed up. Does it make the sound when you sit still and rev the engine to highway speed?

Tim03
12-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Not sure about that one. An exhaust leak makes a ticking noise, but you would expect that to change as the engine warmed up. Does it make the sound when you sit still and rev the engine to highway speed?

I haven't tried that, I try it tommorrow.

J.Gordon
12-20-2007, 04:19 AM
If I’m not mistaken some of the 6.0 liters were reported to have piston slap.
My Step Dad has one but I have-not heard anything abnormal from the engine.
I’m sure you could find something about it on the Chevy forums.
Heres a quick Google search.
http://www.lemonlaw.com/gm-engine-problem.html

Good luck

Brad Ent
12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
J. Gordon is correct, the earlier 6.0's have a piston slap.
In addition, there is a service bulletin for valve train noise during start up in lower temps. The repair calls for a modified PVC valve.
How is your oil consumption?

Budget
12-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Could be a bad lifter too. I would take it to another mechanic for a second opinion.

americanlawn
12-20-2007, 06:26 PM
We have two 2001 HD2500's. One has always had the ticking noise, and the other does not. Not sure why, but one mechanic told me that the fuel injectors make that noise, and it is normal????