PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on this rebuild.

Grits
12-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I am fixing up this pressure washer that was given to me. It has a Yanmar diesel single cylinder engine mated to a Cat Pump model 510. I have got the engine running fine. But I don't know a whole lot about pumps. When I run water through it, it leaks out of the bottom....where the plungers are...by the oil resevoir. What would cause this? Hope I explained it good enough. If not, let me know and I will post some pics. Thanks for the help.

squirtgun
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Grits,
It sounds like the pump needs a rebuild.New seals,packing etc.
I tried to find some info on the 510 and came up empty.If it is teh same series as the 520 you should be able to get parts for a rebuild,but Cat part are notoriously expensive vs. mating it to saya general or AR pump.
A new pump can be bought for about $420 and should last many years if well maintained.

Give Bob a call ovre @ www.pressuretek.com and see if he can give you some help.

Grits
12-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Grits,
It sounds like the pump needs a rebuild.New seals,packing etc.
I tried to find some info on the 510 and came up empty.If it is teh same series as the 520 you should be able to get parts for a rebuild,but Cat part are notoriously expensive vs. mating it to saya general or AR pump.
A new pump can be bought for about $420 and should last many years if well maintained.

Give Bob a call ovre @ www.pressuretek.com and see if he can give you some help.

Yeah...I pulled it apart tonight. One of the ceramic sleeves is completely broken and another is cracked. I priced those out on comparable models and they are around $50 each. Also a seal retainer is broken...that's around $40. I believe I may just try to get a different pump. At least that way the entire thing will be new.
Another question.....Between the pump and the engine is a gearbox. How will I know what will bolt up to that and have the correct shaft size? Should I take the pump completely off and be ready to measure whatever I need to in order to find another pump? Thanks!