PDA

View Full Version : Truck bed insert

t j lawn care
12-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I am wanting to purchase a dump bed insert for my 2500 chevy truck with a 8 ft bed. It will be used mostly for fall and spring clean up with a billy goat leaf loader attached . What brand are you using and what are the pros and con?

hosejockey2002
12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I use a Maxi-dump. Not really any cons to that model in particular that I can tell. I've had it for 18 months and it works the same as the day I got it. Cons for dump inserts in general are that they are heavy (1000 lbs.) and they detract somewhat from the stock look of the truck. But if your truck is set up right you can carry a decent load (mine handles 3000 lbs. easily) and the convenience of the dump is worth every penny.

Birdjr
12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I have the easy dump insert put it on my truck when i bought it new in 03. Never had any problems with it, def a great investment.

davis45
12-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Being that they are so heavy, how does it effect the gas mileage?

J&R Landscaping
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I've been doing a lot of looking at inserts as well for my new f250. Truck Craft has an alluminum insert. The 8' version weighs about 420 some pounds. The EZ dump and Bri-mar steel inserts weight close to 800 lbs. The only downside is the Truck craft insert is around $4500 while the others are about $2500 or less.

davis45
12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
The aluminum is out of my price, I wish i could afford it! I am worried about MPG with the 1000lb steel ones.

Birdjr
12-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I have not really noticed a difference in fuel consumption, but I only ran my truck for 3 weeks before putting it on.Im sure it might make a difference in mpg depending on which truck size and engine that u have. Mine is in a 350 diesel.

SimonCX
12-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I have a bri-mar and love it, the only thing it is heavy about 800lbs with cab protector. For a 1 ton it's not really an issue but I am installing timbrens this weekend just to take some stress of the suspension. It will dump 2 to 2.5 tons without a problem. For a 3/4 ton I would add air bags or timbrens so there isn't so much stress on the suspension especially if you want to hang a 300 lbs loader on the back. If I had to do it again the only thing I would do different is I would get an alum one, it costs more but low weight and no rust.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-21-2007, 07:30 PM
I am considering a lift kit from stealthdumptrucks.com........ I will only use it for leaves......so the loads will not be that heavy. I have a dump trailer for heavy loads and the lift kit is less than 300lbs. I just really don't want to lose the weight capacity with an insert......I can easily haul 3000# right now in my 3/4 ton Dodge...

kjslawn
12-21-2007, 08:12 PM
http://z-dump.com/ Check this out

pj550v12
12-21-2007, 11:25 PM
http://z-dump.com/ Check this out

Any pricing info? Looks interesting

hosejockey2002
12-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Being that they are so heavy, how does it effect the gas mileage?

I drove my truck for around 3 weeks before my insert was installed. In a 6.0 Chevy 2500HD, effect on mileage and performance was minimal. If you have a 150/1500 series truck with a small engine you will really feel the weight.

kjslawn
12-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Any pricing info? Looks interesting

$2200-$2600 I seen it at the show. I want it but I m broke

t j lawn care
12-22-2007, 11:52 PM
I want to think you for all of your imput, any other ideas

SpruceLandscape
12-23-2007, 12:26 AM
There are other companies out there that also make inserts out of stainless. it won't save you any weight over a regular steel insert, but it will definately hold up better, especially in the winters. The price is usually around the same or a little less than the truckcraft aluminums. I have a steel truckcraft that is great. bought it used about 2 years old installed for right around $2k. Keep your eye on ebay, the local classifieds, or even put in a classified here to let everyone know you are looking for one. This is where I bought mine from.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
12-23-2007, 01:18 AM
I like that one in the link. Has plenty of lifting capacity and you can still utilise the tailgate and a cover. I may have to look into that one for my duallie

RedWingsDet
12-23-2007, 02:22 AM
I have a 06 2500hd chevy with a 2007 Stainless Steel Downeaster insert, it is one of the best peices of equipment (nock on wood). I got every single option (double acting pump, head board protector, tarp) you can get execpt the salt spreader, which I am ordering next week.

if i was to do it over again I might look more closely at a truckcraft, but I think the Downeaster is better made.

www.sandspreader.com is the downeaster site.

BTW: i spend over $5,500 for the insert and about $3,000 for the salt spreader, and for that price you might be able to get a dump body with hydros for that price..

J&R Landscaping
12-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Redwings,
I saw a thread you started about removing the insert out of your truck a little while back. Did you ever take it out? How hard was it and how many guys did you need to help?

RedWingsDet
12-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Redwings,
I saw a thread you started about removing the insert out of your truck a little while back. Did you ever take it out? How hard was it and how many guys did you need to help?

I decided to leave it in, I just removed the sideboards and head protector and put two tie downs on the sides to keep it from wobbling when in transport.

t j lawn care
12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Is it hard too remove these dump insert from your truck bed?

RedWingsDet
12-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Not at all. With two people, it shouldn't take more than 30minutes, if that long.

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 11:23 PM
From z-dump link:
The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of each kit is $3,150
A bolt-in cab guard is available with an MSRP of $170
Shipping Crate (weight / size) approx. 800 lbs / 8’-4" x 5’-6" x 2'-0"
Modifications to Truck: 6 holes in truck bed; which can be easily plugged if product is later removed from truck.

Pictures lead me to believe you need to remove the tailgate to work the dump? WTF?

hosejockey2002
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Mine is held in with eight large bolts through the bed that go to brackets that bolt to the frame, as well as a couple of bolts into the back of the bed. It also weighs 1,000 lbs., so I imagine it would take some effort to get it out. In my mind, it's permenantly installed.

Isobel
01-30-2008, 12:22 AM
From z-dump link:
The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of each kit is $3,150
A bolt-in cab guard is available with an MSRP of $170
Shipping Crate (weight / size) approx. 800 lbs / 8’-4" x 5’-6" x 2'-0"
Modifications to Truck: 6 holes in truck bed; which can be easily plugged if product is later removed from truck.

Pictures lead me to believe you need to remove the tailgate to work the dump? WTF?

you do have to remove the tailgate, but the insert has a tailgate of its own--so you're not losing materials as you're driving down the road...

LawnGuy73
01-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I have two of the Truckcraft Aluminum inserts. They only weigh about 400lbs, very easy to install and remove. I paid about $5000.00 each with the cab protectors but I feel it was money well spent.

J&R Landscaping
01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
I have two of the Truckcraft Aluminum inserts. They only weigh about 400lbs, very easy to install and remove. I paid about $5000.00 each with the cab protectors but I feel it was money well spent.

What is the most weight you've put in them? How have to hoists been? Any problems as they got older?

ajordan193
01-31-2008, 02:42 PM
also in the market for a dump insert. How much are you guys paying for those ez-dumps? Dealer around here wants $3k installed

LawnGuy73
01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
What is the most weight you've put in them? How have to hoists been? Any problems as they got older?

I don't know for sure the exact amount of weight that I have had in them, but it says they will lift 5000lbs. I have had just about everything that you can think of in these at one time or another and its always dumped. The one is older, maybe 7 or 8 years old and that one, needed the pump rebuilt once and a new hose, cables and ram bushing otherwise more big problems.

ajordan193
02-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Not to hijack the thread but whats the difference between
http://ezdumper.com and http://www.ez-dumper.com both look the same but have different phone numbers and manufacturing plants?

RedMax Man
02-02-2008, 07:30 PM
http://ezdumper.com and http://www.ez-dumper.com both look the same but have different phone numbers and manufacturing plants?

The website on the right (EZ-DUMPER) is the real thing. I've heard about stories with the other one being fake or something like that.

Isobel
02-02-2008, 07:33 PM

they are two different companies with similar name and similar products.
If you look at the model numbers on the sites, the first site shows Model #HDB18, while the second site shows Model #s starting with "EZ."
Also, one company says they've been around since the 80s, and the other one says 1972.

I'd say if the two companies ever did cross paths, there might be a lawsuit or two.

RedMax Man
02-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I have the 8' EZ-DUMPER with the head guard and side boards. I got it used last summer for $1000. Works awesome. I took it out for the winter to prevent rust from road salt and i like to have my truck basically empty for a while out of the year and for plowing.

t j lawn care
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey if all goes well, I'm going to pick up my EZ dump insert for my 2008 chevy 3/4 ton truck Saturday mourning. I will be using it mostly for hauling mulch in the summer time. But the main purpose for the dump insert is for hauling and dumping fall cleanup leaves.

mowin4$
02-10-2008, 01:16 AM
i have a truckcraft dump and like it a lot. used to have ez dump.the only thing i did not like about ez dump is i had to keep touching up paint to keep looking good.truckcraft i dont do anything.as far as clean ups,i extended my tongue on my enclosed trailer by 24" and welded a platform for my billy goat leaf vac to sit on.this way when i'm by myself,i dont have to take off the leaf vac to dump.i just disconnect the trailer and the vac stays on it.also give you more room to climb in and out of the back of the truck when packing down the leaves.when the vac is not on the trailer,i can store my garbage cans inside the platform .

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-10-2008, 01:37 PM
can you post a pic or 2 of that setup....

i have a truckcraft dump and like it a lot. used to have ez dump.the only thing i did not like about ez dump is i had to keep touching up paint to keep looking good.truckcraft i dont do anything.as far as clean ups,i extended my tongue on my enclosed trailer by 24" and welded a platform for my billy goat leaf vac to sit on.this way when i'm by myself,i dont have to take off the leaf vac to dump.i just disconnect the trailer and the vac stays on it.also give you more room to climb in and out of the back of the truck when packing down the leaves.when the vac is not on the trailer,i can store my garbage cans inside the platform .

mowin4$
02-11-2008, 12:46 AM
give me some time.we're about to get more snow tomorrow.i'll get them sometime this week and post them.

t j lawn care
02-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Picture of dump insert

t j lawn care
02-18-2008, 11:53 PM
picture of truck bed insert

J&R Landscaping
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Just needs a few side boards.

t j lawn care
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Hope to put on few boards in time , but I want to build a leaf box first.

J&R Landscaping
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
haha, I have to wood for it already cut to fit from a box I built around my pickup bed last fall. Just need the insert so I can modify to fit!!

ACA L&L
02-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Did u install the ez dump yourself? How long? What did it cost foe everything from door to door. Looks real nice by the way.

pclawncare
02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Lawnzilla i just installed an EZ dumper my self if you order from northen tool it is 2500 for the insert and cab guard shipping to me in the midwest was about 300 bucks and the tarping system was about 220 shipped but you have to order the tarp direct from company. If you really want to get busy and work hard at putting it in you can do it in about 4 - 5 hrs me and my grandpa put it in and we like to mess around and talk. Make sure you have a way to pick it up or plenty of people to help you pick it up its not easy to manuver at all. We used an over head hoist that runs on an I beam in our barn. It took us about 5 hours from pallet to up and running and installed with tarp system. I like mine alot i had about 4000# in tile and a tub i was tearing out of the house and it dumped it like nothing was in it. Over all its a well build looking unit and quality for the price. Ez dumper was a fantastic company to work with as well customer service was awsome

ACA L&L
02-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I found it. That is what we will probably do this summer. I really like that one. Ive seen some real crappy ones outthere. Does it bolt to the frame thru the bed. Was the wlectricial pretty easy.

pclawncare
02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Electrical is probably the easiest thing ive done that involved electrical. It Basicly consists of 2 wires and you run them from your battery pos and neg and down the frame to the bed and up through the bottom of the be and then screw them on to the pump and the diagram is very specific about where to put them on the pump. The only other wire to run is the wire from the controler in the cab and it jus has a clip connection so its very easy to just run from the cab to the bed. This unit bolts through the bed of the truck and will bolt through the frame i think depending on what kind of truck you have supposedly on ford you just remove the bolts holding the bed on and use those for the brackets to hold the insert in. I was putting this in a dodge so i had to bolt through the subframe on the bed but they give you large like 2"x2"1/4 washers type things if it has to be bolted through a subframe which distributes the pressure. The only thing that doesnt come with it that you will need for install is 4 bolts to hold it in place. I ended up using grade 8 bold that were 1/2" x 4 1/2" and you will also need 4 - 1/4" bolts for the brackets. The brackets that hold the insert in place are pretty universal and are pretty much left up to you to postion. They give suggestions where to place them but you can move them around to suit your truck.