PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Ford Diesel

TXNSLighting
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I was talking to my ford dealer yesterday, one of my service guys confirmed, fords dropping the 6.4 after two years in production. the 2010 trucks will have a FORD diesel in them. theyve kept it in good disgize...(man i have no idea how to spell that word. i hope you guys can sound it out...ha!) but anyway, he said the ford diesel has been around since 06! so that engine will have a good 4-5 years under its belt before its released. it will be interesting to see what will happen with them. it seems the 6.4 is getting worse with age.

JB1
12-20-2007, 12:57 PM
didn't they have there own diesels at first, I always heard Navistar and Ford engineers were like cats and dogs at each other.

J&R Landscaping
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I heard about this at somepoint over the past year. I think its way to soon for Ford to be doing that. It just seems as if it needs mor testing and such before its released!
Is Ford planning any cosmetic changes for the 2010 F-series?

TXNSLighting
12-20-2007, 05:59 PM
yeh a whole new body design. not just upgraded stuff. no fords never had their own diesel, its always been international. i do to. i think they should wait til the contract expires in 2012. well like i said its had 4+ years of testing, so i think it should be ok.

L&L
12-20-2007, 06:05 PM
From what I understand the 6.4 wont meet the emmisions in 2010 so maybe thats why they are changing again. Im not sure but I think the duramax will have to be changed as well me meet 2010 emmisions.

TXNSLighting
12-20-2007, 07:09 PM
it wont meet now. but they can make it meet then. their just done with international. yeh there will be a new duramax for 2010. its not goin to be called duramax anymore. i think theyre goin to call it ultramax.

Gravel Rat
12-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Ford used to build diesel engines but they were British built.

Dodge could loose Cummins at anytime they want with the option of a Mercedes engine.

GM is capable to make their own engine aswell.

mag360
12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
I heard about that a year or so ago when the 6.4 was first coming out but the buzz died down. It'll be a rough deal for navistar. I'm still very interested to see what they come up with.

AAXteriors
12-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Is the 6.4 that bad? i really havent heard that much about them. Also didn't Daimler sell of christler group therefore making a Mercedes engine not an option?

lawnspecialties
12-21-2007, 07:11 AM
My '05 6.0 is starting to look better and better every day. I must admit, I haven't heard many complaints from 6.4 owners. Especially when you compare it to the 6.0 it's first couple of years.

But if the 6.4 is getting dropped after only two years and Ford's going their own way with diesels, I'll probably have my 6.0 a very long time or switch brands.

Going on what GravelRat said, I can't imagine Dodge ever giving up Cummins. It's by far the main reason they're able to sell the trucks. And very few companies can make a diesel as good as Isuzu with the Duramax.

Marek
12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
There are a few guys on plowsite that are complaining about snow getting into the air filter while plowing with the 08s.

peckwood
12-29-2007, 11:21 AM
the 2010 Ford's will feature a Cummin's diesel, but will still be shadowed by the new Nissan and Tundra diesel's

Tim03
12-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I was talking to my ford dealer yesterday, one of my service guys confirmed, fords dropping the 6.4 after two years in production. the 2010 trucks will have a FORD diesel in them. theyve kept it in good disgize...(man i have no idea how to spell that word. i hope you guys can sound it out...ha!) but anyway, he said the ford diesel has been around since 06! so that engine will have a good 4-5 years under its belt before its released. it will be interesting to see what will happen with them. it seems the 6.4 is getting worse with age.

Perhaps this is the engine you are talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_4.4_Turbo_Diesel. I read somewhere in a car magazine this engine is suppose to be an option instead of replacing an engine.

Also, if you click on the wiki link then click on the Autoweek link and read the article, it states that Toyota hasn't even sourced an engine yet for their truck. How can Toyota be a lock to beat other trucks when they haven't even made their mind up who they are going to *buy* the engine from?

mag360
12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
the 2010 Ford's will feature a Cummin's diesel, but will still be shadowed by the new Nissan and Tundra diesel's

You are misinformed.
Please correct the falsification/inconsistency of your signature line. You are not fooling anyone.

KTM
12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Ford will not be getting the Cummins in there light duty, you can get one in a medium duty. Stop spreading stupid sh**t

supercuts
12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
my 08 6.4L is getting crappy milelage but starts in the cold like a gas engine. i like the truck alot but for the money thought id be happier

lawnspecialties
12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
There's not even a Mangum, NC.

I think your LS name is missing an "er".

hosejockey2002
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
You know guys, trolls will go away if you don't feed them....

meets1
12-30-2007, 01:04 AM
You know guys, trolls will go away if you don't feed them....

2nd that!

J&R Landscaping
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
my 08 6.4L is getting crappy milelage but starts in the cold like a gas engine. i like the truck alot but for the money thought id be happier

What kind of mpg are you getting?

lawnspecialties
12-30-2007, 01:02 PM

This is a quote from a guy on another forum website about DisneyWorld. In the "camping" forum, we have a thread talking about our tow vehicles and the likes and dislikes. I'm starting to hear this more and more often.

Well since someone else started this thread, I will take this opportunity to vent.... here goes.

As you can see by my signature below, I have on 08 f-350 cc 4x4 duallie with the new 6.4.... I HATE IT!!!

It gets amazingly bad mileage compared to my 03 that had a 6.0, it got 18 empty and about 14 towing, new one is lucky to get 12 empty and 8-9 towing. But my biggest complaint is the diesel particulate filter regeneration, when it decides to do a dpf burn, it bumps the idle up to 1300 or so, no matter what you are doing. One time, I was in a drive thru, and it decided to do it, and I almost rammed the lady in front of me. Then after it does that, it smokes like one of those farm tractors you see on tv in the tractor pulls. It is so bad that I have had people pull off the road behind me, and someone come up to me at a light and tell me my truck was on fire. You know, I feel if you spend $50k+ on a truck, you really should have to be embarassed to drive it down the road.

Took it to ford, and they said it is just a design characteristic, and there is nothing wrong. Well I called a lemon law attorney Friday, and got the ball rolling, she said that they have lots of complaints about the 08 and it shouldn't be a problem. I just hope I can get something worked out before we leave for the fort in febuary.

My perfect truck would be, a cummins diesel, an allison tranny, in a ford body.

Well enough with the rant for now... thanks for listening.

John

PlatinumLandCon
12-30-2007, 09:03 PM
What I reallllly want to see is the 4.5 PSD in the F150. I bet it could easily make 230hp/500+tq from its stock specs. I think 99% of guys with the 6.0 or 6.4 would do just fine with this engine and the MPGs would be so much better. This truck could probably get 20mpg city if you took it easy.

dgZtrak737
12-30-2007, 10:11 PM
I wonder how the Duramax 4.5 will do? Will it be offered with and allison transmission?

lawnspecialties
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
What I reallllly want to see is the 4.5 PSD in the F150. I bet it could easily make 230hp/500+tq from its stock specs. I think 99% of guys with the 6.0 or 6.4 would do just fine with this engine and the MPGs would be so much better. This truck could probably get 20mpg city if you took it easy.

My only problem with that would be the "others".

I have an F-150 and an F-250. Sure, my F-250 can pull my 14' single axle trailer like it's not even back there. But pulling my 20' tandem axle with my F-150 to me is a bad long term idea. When I pulled my tandem axle trailers with a former F-150 4X4 5.4L, after a while the suspension and brakes started to really show their weaknesses. Worn brakes, warped rotors, and an ever increasing squeaky suspension would get worse and worse. Ever since going to a 3/4 ton, I couldn't ever imagine pulling (and stopping) a tandem axle trailer with anything else.

Maybe if Ford did use the 4.5 (or the 4.4 they use in England), they might also beef up the brakes and suspension sort of like Chevrolet did with the 1500 and 1500HD a few years ago. Now that would be an excellent truck with maybe a 16' tandem.

GradeMan
12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I Would rather be cummin than strokin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope to never see a cummins in a ford pick up.
If u can doge em Ram them!!!!!!!!!!

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 09:59 AM

thats completely false...

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Perhaps this is the engine you are talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_4.4_Turbo_Diesel. I read somewhere in a car magazine this engine is suppose to be an option instead of replacing an engine.

Also, if you click on the wiki link then click on the Autoweek link and read the article, it states that Toyota hasn't even sourced an engine yet for their truck. How can Toyota be a lock to beat other trucks when they haven't even made their mind up who they are going to *buy* the engine from?

no thats not the one im talking about. thats the engine for the half tons and expeditions. the one im talking about is a 6.7 "scorpion" diesel.

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 10:05 AM
This is a quote from a guy on another forum website about DisneyWorld. In the "camping" forum, we have a thread talking about our tow vehicles and the likes and dislikes. I'm starting to hear this more and more often.

Well since someone else started this thread, I will take this opportunity to vent.... here goes.

As you can see by my signature below, I have on 08 f-350 cc 4x4 duallie with the new 6.4.... I HATE IT!!!

It gets amazingly bad mileage compared to my 03 that had a 6.0, it got 18 empty and about 14 towing, new one is lucky to get 12 empty and 8-9 towing. But my biggest complaint is the diesel particulate filter regeneration, when it decides to do a dpf burn, it bumps the idle up to 1300 or so, no matter what you are doing. One time, I was in a drive thru, and it decided to do it, and I almost rammed the lady in front of me. Then after it does that, it smokes like one of those farm tractors you see on tv in the tractor pulls. It is so bad that I have had people pull off the road behind me, and someone come up to me at a light and tell me my truck was on fire. You know, I feel if you spend $50k+ on a truck, you really should have to be embarassed to drive it down the road.

Took it to ford, and they said it is just a design characteristic, and there is nothing wrong. Well I called a lemon law attorney Friday, and got the ball rolling, she said that they have lots of complaints about the 08 and it shouldn't be a problem. I just hope I can get something worked out before we leave for the fort in febuary.

My perfect truck would be, a cummins diesel, an allison tranny, in a ford body.

Well enough with the rant for now... thanks for listening.

John

ya know its not just the powerstroke having the problems. the duramax andcummins are both struggling with that stupid DPF. we can thank the dam government for these stupid things on our $50,000 trucks!!! that 6.4 would be a great engine if it werent for that stupid emmisions crap!

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I Would rather be cummin than strokin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope to never see a cummins in a ford pick up.
If u can doge em Ram them!!!!!!!!!!

take that cummins crap outa here...Duramax is where its at!!! i run circles around dodges...Ram that dodge right into a wall! thats all there good for!

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I wonder how the Duramax 4.5 will do? Will it be offered with and allison transmission?

yes its said to be available with the allison. i bet it will do well. the 6.6 is a hit. so the 4.5 should just as good. and probly get 25+ mpg. my duramax already gets 20.

Marek
12-31-2007, 11:05 AM
I was reading in the rv forums that Navistar is buying GM'S med. duty truck division . Its on rv.net with the whole article.

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
yep! very true. thats another marker sayin ford and international are partin ways.

BrandonV
12-31-2007, 06:28 PM
the duramax actually has a higher rate of failure than the power stoke, only thing is ford sells such a high volume of trucks that everyone has heard of someone w/ problems. that and there is a higher percentage of chevys that arn't neccasiarlry being used as trucks... bunch of going to church duramaxs here

supercuts
12-31-2007, 06:54 PM

12-14ish my turbo has a funny noise when it slows too. i wonder if something is wrong with it

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-31-2007, 07:31 PM
there is a higher percentage of chevys that arn't neccasiarlry being used as trucks... bunch of going to church duramaxs here

No kidding. Everyone here either uses a powerstroke or a cummins for work. I bet 90% of the D-Max sales here are buy Marine's who use their trucks as cars. But on the other hand GM has the best tranny out there. In my area Dodge is the best priced, then Ford, and the the GM's that are way too much. All are good trucks but most are overkill for what people on here use them for (the mowing guys with a trailer 16' or less). I 1/2 ton w/ a diesel would be perfect for most.

GradeMan
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't trust a V 8 diesel Its just common sense when your in for the long haul

supercuts
01-01-2008, 08:28 PM
nothing wrong with the 7.3L powerstroke v8's. tried and true. good workhorses. i wish i could have gotten one in my 08

meets1
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I run all chevy but no diesel. One farmer friend of mine has FORDS. He tells me all the time - Chevy - that is an ice cream truck!

huskres
01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Ford used to build diesel engines but they were British built.

Dodge could loose Cummins at anytime they want with the option of a Mercedes engine.

GM is capable to make their own engine aswell.

To bad the companies split earlier this year...

capetrees
01-01-2008, 09:56 PM
2010 Toyota Tundra Diesel

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0d4f11

TXNSLighting
01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
To bad the companies split earlier this year...

which ones?

TXNSLighting
01-02-2008, 10:22 AM
i now own a duramax and think its great. yes its a v engine! the duramaxs are getting compared (longevity wise) to cummins and 7.3 powerstrokes. its still a fairly new engine so only time will tell. i think its better than a cummins.

SiteSolutions
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
the duramax actually has a higher rate of failure than the power stoke, only thing is ford sells such a high volume of trucks that everyone has heard of someone w/ problems. that and there is a higher percentage of chevys that arn't neccasiarlry being used as trucks... bunch of going to church duramaxs here

I know one guy who really uses his Duramax and it seems to do well for him. Pulls horses and even a small dozer with it. He's a builder who tries to do too much himself. Classic "short man" issues. I rode in the truck with him a couple times and it feels more like a Cadillac than a work truck but it seems to pull reliably.

One other guy I know went from an F-350 srw to a 2500 HD and said the Ford was built more solid, heavier, but he likes the Chevy just fine. He's a builder and doesn't usually tow anything unless he is going on a week long hunting trip somewhere out west.

Mostly, though, around here the Fords and Dodges belong to contractors who use them for work, and most Chevys are for the boss to drive around in. There's a lot of new chevys with gas motors being used by plumbers and electricians. And GMC seems exclusively for Construction Managers and builders.

It's not like I wouldn't have one if someone gave it to me though.

TXNSLighting
01-02-2008, 10:47 AM
ive now had experiences with all three. I can honestly say, Ford has the best truck and a good diesel engine, and a great trans. (in some instances i think i like the torqshift over the allison, but its not a 6 speed...:( ). the Gmc has the second best. its right there with Ford. and the duramax/Allison is the best. and dodge is well a dodge...i think id drive a Nissan over it any day. but its got the lovely cummins. so that helps it out. and it seems they now have a good auto trans. so thats my all around opinion of the big three. some are going to disagree, but o well. thats why we have opinions.

BrandonV
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
^i'd have to agree

Budget
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
ive now had experiences with all three. I can honestly say, Ford has the best truck and a good diesel engine, and a great trans. (in some instances i think i like the torqshift over the allison, but its not a 6 speed...:( ). the Gmc has the second best. its right there with Ford. and the duramax/Allison is the best. and dodge is well a dodge...i think id drive a Nissan over it any day. but its got the lovely cummins. so that helps it out. and it seems they now have a good auto trans. so thats my all around opinion of the big three. some are going to disagree, but o well. thats why we have opinions.

Just look up TSB, on any truck you look at. Those are facts about any of the trucks you would purchase.
Who do think has the longest sheet out of all of them?.....:rolleyes:
Go buy facts and not what you hear.

TXNSLighting
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
not really facts to look at...TSBs are good things. Means theyre correcting the problem. i like the honestly, and respect it. when looking at a powerstroke get an oasis report. if nothings on it, buy that truck. if theres more than 2 or 3, skip it.

MileHigh
01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm a Ford guy, but according to the specs, and testing, A cummins out hauls (more like kills) the powerstroke and the duramax. Look it up.
As far as reliability, I think it's all on how you maintain your truck. Gas mileage...who buys a truck for the gas mileage? Your truck should still make you good money if your gettin 4.0 mpg!

BrandonV
01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
gas mileage is an issue, and I personally think its sad that most of the light duty diesels get similar mileage to my 16k lb c7500... doesn't make sense

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm a Ford guy, but according to the specs, and testing, A cummins out hauls (more like kills) the powerstroke and the duramax. Look it up.

not true!! the duramax can out pull the cummins hands down. its happened. check diesel power magazine. they test the 07 duramax, 07 cummins, and 08 super duty. Duramax out pull them convincingly! id put my 07 against any 07 5.9 cummins! it would out tow no problem. and my truck would way outlast it to!

jtkplc
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Define 'out haul' and 'out pull'.

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 02:32 PM
faster, smoother, easier, more convincingly...and such!

Idealtim
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Who wishes ford still had the 7.3? 210hp/375lbs+, more than enough power to tow/haul a rated load, but would get stomped by a duramax in a race. I think today that's all that matters.

SiteSolutions
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
not true!! the duramax can out pull the cummins hands down. its happened. check diesel power magazine. they test the 07 duramax, 07 cummins, and 08 super duty. Duramax out pull them convincingly! id put my 07 against any 07 5.9 cummins! it would out tow no problem. and my truck would way outlast it to!

I was about to suggest that article. Good read. Which issue was it?

mower&more1986
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Who wishes ford still had the 7.3? 210hp/375lbs+, more than enough power to tow/haul a rated load, but would get stomped by a duramax in a race. I think today that's all that matters.

either that or the Cummins B Series

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I was about to suggest that article. Good read. Which issue was it?

man, let me look...danget my neighbor borrowed some of them, i bet he got it. it was from this summer i believe. such a great one . the ford was a very close second, the cummins took last place.

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 06:02 PM

good golly. thats some old 7.3's. thats 94.5-96 powerstrokes. 97 they bumped it up to 225!! ha!

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
either that or the Cummins B Series

that one was slow!!! but with the turn of a screw....hold on!!

CleanCutProLawn
01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
7.3 owner here. We have a lot of guys around here that big lifts and tires to match and then never take it off road, damn pavement pounders. I got a nice 60hp tow tune on my truck and it pulls my 8x18 enclosed nicely. When i got my pcm retuned my fuel mileage jumped up to around 14mpg with a loaded trailer (approx 5500 - 6000lbs). No long trips with the new tune yet, hard to get accurate mpg empty since my foot has gotten heaver. The best thing ford can do is split with navistar, if they wouldn't have gotten into a spat there would have been a 4.5 PSD in the half tons about 3 yrs ago. Gotta find that article again. Ford need to bring their diesels over from europe get them emissions ready and get them in the half tons, the market would be a lock. Oh by the way i love my 7.3

L&L
01-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Outlast a cummins?? I dont think so. I love the duramax motor and I still have my 7.3 powerstroke but lets be honest the cummins will outlast both. I would like to see a duramax out pull the new 6.7.

JoshC
01-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Navistar buying the GM Medium Duties kind of stinks but oh well. One good thing is that as a joint effort GM will finally have a small bodied 4500 to compete with the F450 and Dodge 4500.
The Duramax isn't built by Isuzu anymore. The first version (LB7) was designed by Isuzu, but after that GM took over. Duramax is now a GM company. I think the new 4.5 for the 1/2 tons is solely a GM project. As far as the 2010 "Ultramax" I think that is more of a rumor than anything. It will be a redesigned Duramax, but still a Duramax engine.
I'd like to see Ford get their act together with another reliable engine like the 7.3. If they did then MAYBE I'd consider buying one, but until then I'm sticking with my GMC's.

SpruceLandscape
01-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I've read this thread from front to back now, and while there are a lot of experienced owners in it, I don't think anyone should take any of these posts as a decision point in buying a new truck. Everyone has their favorite and everyone has their grudge against one or more for whatever reason, just some reasons may be more serious than others.
For anyone trying to predict the future of ford, gm, or dodge, and has read a magazine "insider" about something going on in the future, just remember, these are 90% rumors coming out of a cubicle that someone who had a bad day in the office decided was going to maybe cash in on the argument they heard their boss having or something similar to that.
If you are in the market for a new truck, whether you are pulling with it, just driving from job site to job site, or whatever you want to do with your hard earned money, the best advice to get is to do your own research into price, options, specs, and most importantly... test drive each and every truck out there! Maybe the dodge is better, maybe the ford is better, maybe gm is better, hell maybe datsun is better... it all depends on what suits your individual needs. I'm a contractor, do a lot of the work myself. I know what is important to me in a truck is not what is important to the guy in the same line of work across the street from my job.
How far is the dealer from you?
whats the bottom line price?
If you are trading something in, who is treating you better?
These should be the kind of questions someone should be asking when buying a new truck, not "who out pulls who..."
All of these diesels now days have more than enough power to do any job you are going to put a medium duty truck through... plain as that.

SpruceLandscape
01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
And yes, I suppose my thread falls into one of those "opinions" as well that I mentioned earlier.
I'm not trying to discredit or piss anyone else off, so please I hope no one took any of that personally.
For anyone that is wondering I have owned at least one of each (gm, ford, dodge) in the last 5 years. They all have weakness, they all have strong points.
some had better years than others. My own personal experience if anyone is interested, AND DON'T TAKE THIS TO HEART, ITS JUST MY OWN EXPERIENCE WHICH IS AND WILL BE DIFFERENT THAN EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE LOL!
My chevy was the least favorite "all around truck" in the sense of stupid nonsense problems. never had a problem with the engine or driveline, just little stuff like vibrations, brake issues, turning radius. The ford (with a 6.0) was the best all around truck but had more problems with the driveline than anything I had ever owned (it was early 05) 3 transmissions (partly the dealers fault) and 2 turbos in the first 6-7 months of ownership (thats about 18000 miles). Dodge was the middle of the road between the other two, but the best value dollar wise. No problems with the driveline, but had small electrical issues with the headlights and a power outlet in the cab.
So, there you have it. Those are MY real world experiences with all three. I'm not saying I would buy any one over the next when it comes to getting a new one.
Heck, I may not even get a diesel with the amount of power and trans selections that are available in gassers anymore.
Its all a matter of what is better for each individual at the point in time they are looking at buying, whether its used or new.
LOL OK, someone else can take the soap box over now heh:waving:

Ramairfreak98ss
01-05-2008, 09:43 PM
My '05 6.0 is starting to look better and better every day. I must admit, I haven't heard many complaints from 6.4 owners. Especially when you compare it to the 6.0 it's first couple of years.

knock on wood i have 24k harder miles on my 06 and nothing even minor yet, just adding stuff here and there to it :p I posted a while back trying to find an xlt 05-07 F550, but proves to be darn near impossible used or new. Ill always be keeping a lookout though. Ive seen tons of good deals on the 08+ models though all through this past year, but as lawn says above, lots of guys are having minor problems, or just generally terrible fuel economy. I myself wont stand for the new emission garbage, extra fuel usage and dont like their looks 100% yet.

The dealer i got my 06 from end of 06, has a red standard cab, XLT 08 on 20s, 8k miles, F350 diesel with a $2200 pioneer nav system, truck is mint for $35,998 or something. Theres a crew cab version of my 06 but an 05 with similar miles they want $37,999, the 08 is awesome, but looks can be deceiving :cool2:

retrodog
01-06-2008, 03:57 AM
My new dream truck..maybe I land another big contract next year, and get to buy one to pull my rig...

BrandonV
01-06-2008, 10:38 AM
a guy that works w/ my bro has one of those.... of course you can't tow anything w/ it except for a tag along, but defiantly HOT

JoshC
01-06-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm not a Ford fan, but if I could afford it, I'd buy that truck over a GM truck any day. I saw a silver one a few days ago on the interstate and it definately turned heads.

SiteSolutions
01-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I priced one of those Excursion-style modded 650's; I've got 6 kids so it would have to have the extra room... a little on the pricey side but something to shoot for!

BrandonV
01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
as a guy who rolls around in a C7500, i have to admit the ford interior is so much nicer, even our f750 is has a nicer dash and better seat, though my crew cab has a better ride than the dump truck due to having air suspension, but that's cheating.

TXNSLighting
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Outlast a cummins?? I dont think so. I love the duramax motor and I still have my 7.3 powerstroke but lets be honest the cummins will outlast both. I would like to see a duramax out pull the new 6.7.

yes my gmc will outlast a dodge!! its already outpulled it! i guarantee it can do it again to!

L&L
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
yes my gmc will outlast a dodge!! its already outpulled it! i guarantee it can do it again to!

I agree a gmc will out last a dodge but a duramax will not outlast a cummins.

SpruceLandscape
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
It doesn't matter to me if my truck outlasts a gmc/chevy, ford, honda, datsun, isuzu, saturn, rolls, mercedes, ferrari, citroen, hino, IHC, freightliner, peterbuilt, mack, kenworth, john deere, exmark, walker, badboy, ferris, lesco, billygoat, little wonder, dixon, toro, or anything else you want to compare it to.
Just so long as I get my money's worth until I feel I am ready to buy the next one.:drinkup:

newdude
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
and dug up some info.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059 starts mainly pg2-4. Ford is working on an in house diesel, Scorpion, supposedly rated at 400hp/700ft.lbs torque. Read for yourself.

2nd: Gm's new 4.5 which I think would be a good idea to stuff it in the HD as a smaller diesel option.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08/25/details-of-gms-new-4-5l-duramax-diesel-v-8/

vid for sema in their concep Z71 HD suburban:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4wFwIXC7U

3rd: No way is cummins ever getting under the hood of a su[er duty (of course unless someone purposely puts it their). I would really like to see that in-house and if not that, maybe they could group w/ caterpillar and make a sweet 3/4-1ton diesel. And about reliability, i belive the cummins is rated at 350,000 life time to major overhaul, which is about 100,000 more than the PS and the D-MAX.

SouthernLandworks
01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I would LOVE to see the day a duramax outlasts a Cummins, Im a Powerstroke guy but Cummins has everyone beat. Yes a gmc will outlast a dodge but like someone else said, the duramax will not outlast the Cummins, Oh, and Id LOVE to see the duramax outpull the new 6.7. I like to know a truck is a diesel when Im going down the highway, You cant even hear a duramax run like you can a Cummins or Powerstroke. I've got a buddy who has an F700 with a 5.9 Cummins equipped with a 20ft. litter spreader body, The truck has 423,000 miles on the original motor.

grasshopperslawn
01-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I have a 97 powerstroke 7.3 with 372000 original miles on it

supercuts
01-08-2008, 09:12 AM

i wish i had one in my new truck. it is more than enough power. who really cares who will win in a race. they are all fast for trucks. this thread is turning into whining. who cares, mine are work trucks, im not racing anyone!

supercuts
01-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I like to know a truck is a diesel when Im going down the highway, You cant even hear a duramax run like you can a Cummins or Powerstroke.

the new powerstrokes are very quite

TXNSLighting
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I would LOVE to see the day a duramax outlasts a Cummins, Im a Powerstroke guy but Cummins has everyone beat. Yes a gmc will outlast a dodge but like someone else said, the duramax will not outlast the Cummins, Oh, and Id LOVE to see the duramax outpull the new 6.7. I like to know a truck is a diesel when Im going down the highway, You cant even hear a duramax run like you can a Cummins or Powerstroke. I've got a buddy who has an F700 with a 5.9 Cummins equipped with a 20ft. litter spreader body, The truck has 423,000 miles on the original motor.

have you not heard a 6.7 cummins? or the later 5.9 cummins? just as quiet. when i was lookin at Duramaxs i ran across several that had over 300k. And A DURAMAX HAS OUT PULLED THE 6.7 CUMMINS!!!! Its got more horse power and tq! so its going to out pull it! read the issue! done!

meets1
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
have you not heard a 6.7 cummins? or the later 5.9 cummins? just as quiet. when i was lookin at Duramaxs i ran across several that had over 300k. And A DURAMAX HAS OUT PULLED THE 6.7 CUMMINS!!!! Its got more horse power and tq! so its going to out pull it! read the issue! done!

I have to agree - I am pretty green when it comes to diesels but alot of guys around here - famers to concrete guys that pull day in and day out - alot of guys in my area are switching over to D-max strictly for that reason. Now these guys here are not brand loyal at all. They want the best without the hassel of a chip, they want something quite - which I think the new ford is pretty quite for the ones I have riden in. Farmers may only have one truck but a few concrete crews have all of them. My bro-in law works for one - they bought 3 new trucks this year - all 08's, one of each. The four other trucks are dodge and ford - everyone likes driving the new Chevy with D-max. They run all these truck to 150 - 200 K

MnDLawn
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
The Ford 6.0 and the 6.4 are the worst engines ever produced. And I am a Ford guy.

lawn king
01-26-2008, 12:12 AM
i wish i had one in my new truck. it is more than enough power. who really cares who will win in a race. they are all fast for trucks. this thread is turning into whining. who cares, mine are work trucks, im not racing anyone!

Well said! I purchased my new duramax to work, i have no intentions of adding chips or any other performence stuff. If i wanted to race i would have bought a vette! Now you kids sit back and stop fighting, IF I HAVE TO PULL THIS CAR OVER YOUR GONNA BE SORRY!

Lawnworks
01-26-2008, 03:28 PM
They are all good trucks, but my duramax just doesn't have the balls my cummins does. For real work, I load up the dodge... my wife drives the duramax.

meets1
01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I have an 08 D-max - First diesel for me. All my friends have ford and dogde. Today I pulled there 32 ft trailer loaded with lumber and 3 guys in the truck. Heck I even let them drive it just to see for themselve - 800 miles on my truck - they couldn't beleive it. A few words - quiet, smooth shifting, took right off from that stop light, crusie at 75 in TOW Haul - up and down hills with no problem. There are times like this I wish I had a secret tape recorder going!

cat2
01-26-2008, 10:26 PM
and you see why we can't any truck threads. everyone thinks there truck is better. they are all just as good

Ground Scapes
01-27-2008, 02:17 AM
I was reading that FORD is putting a diesel in the F-150 and i think DODGE is too... There is no reason that all cars/trucks shouldn't be diesel. In Europe 80-90 percent of cars/trucks are. Also Toyota may be bringing a diesel to the states. I know a guy who has one in Australia, i wonder why they don't have them here.

TXNSLighting
01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
They are all good trucks, but my duramax just doesn't have the balls my cummins does. For real work, I load up the dodge... my wife drives the duramax.

you obviously have an older duramax.

SouthernLandworks
01-27-2008, 02:14 PM

From what I've read, The duramax has only got 10 more horsepower over the Cummins and the Powerstroke and thats with the Cummins having 2 less cylinders and the Powerstroke being smaller than the duramax. Thay all have 650 ft. lbs. of torque. My buddies duramax couldn't hardly pull 3 cubic yards of dirt on a dump trailer, He's always drove chevys, Know what he told me?? My 7.3L(his landscape truck)would've pulled it with ease. I've drove a lot of diesels in my time, And from personal expirience the 12V 5.9 was the strongest diesel pickup by far.

PLM-1
01-27-2008, 02:42 PM
There is an LB7 Duramax that was just traded in at our chevy dealer with 347k on it. 2 sets of injectors and some piddly stuff, that's it. Mine has 85k or so and it's got some balls, especially with the edge. I've done 1 set of injectors, recharged the AC, new shocks and bought tires. Still on the original brakes.

GravelyGuy
01-27-2008, 02:53 PM
How much does it typically cost to have the injectors in a diesel replaced?

newdude
01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I was reading that FORD is putting a diesel in the F-150 and i think DODGE is too... There is no reason that all cars/trucks shouldn't be diesel. In Europe 80-90 percent of cars/trucks are. Also Toyota may be bringing a diesel to the states. I know a guy who has one in Australia, i wonder why they don't have them here.

yep. ford is working on a 4.4 diesel, i think a v8? and dodge had a mini cummins coming out for 2009-2010, somewhere around then.

PLM-1
01-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Quite a bit. The LB7 Duramax's injectors are warrantied until 200k.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
From what I've read, The duramax has only got 10 more horsepower over the Cummins and the Powerstroke and thats with the Cummins having 2 less cylinders and the Powerstroke being smaller than the duramax. Thay all have 650 ft. lbs. of torque. My buddies duramax couldn't hardly pull 3 cubic yards of dirt on a dump trailer, He's always drove chevys, Know what he told me?? My 7.3L(his landscape truck)would've pulled it with ease. I've drove a lot of diesels in my time, And from personal expirience the 12V 5.9 was the strongest diesel pickup by far.

the duramax has 15 more horsepower and 10 more pound feet of torque. and its a lighter truck than the other two. thats why it towes more and is faster. now, im not defending the 01-06 LB7, and LLY Duramaxs. i neve concidered buying one of those. they were what kept me from buying one. but the LBZ and LMM are just great! yeh the 12v was the strongest then. but not now.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM

usually well over a grand.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2008, 10:20 AM
yep. ford is working on a 4.4 diesel, i think a v8? and dodge had a mini cummins coming out for 2009-2010, somewhere around then.

4.5l diesel...and ive been hearing v6.

hosejockey2002
01-28-2008, 12:40 PM
4.5l diesel...and ive been hearing v6.

Yep, that's the motor that the Ford LCF uses. IMO perfect motor for a 1/2 ton or a great "entry level" 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for the guy who doesn't have to have the biggest, baddest truck on the road (like me).

TomberLawn
01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I wonder where it will all end...1000hp, 2000 lb/ft of torque? Pickup truck engines keep getting more and more ridiculous with each new version. As soon as one truck gets a 10hp, 20ft/lb boost, the others get 15hp, 30ft/lb boost. I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 24 valve Cummins and it's rated at 215hp, 420ft/lb. I can tow anything I want to with this truck. I do think I'm going to need a new or rebuilt turbo sometime soon, but the truck had a fifth wheel in it before I bought it, so it's done some heavy towing. My truck gets just under 20mpg empty, mostly local/country back-roads driving, and 14-16 towing my 16 ft trailer with either my mower and other equipment or 3320 Deere tractor. I had my diesel Deere Gator and the Ferris on the trailer Saturday and had plenty of power to spare, and still averaged about 15mpg. I've got just over 100k miles and plan on putting many 100's of thousands more on this truck since the new ones can't compare with the reliability, durability, and efficiency of the older diesels.
My point in all this is that manufacturers sell numbers--hp, torque, towing ratings, etc, but most truck users never actually use ALL of the power available to them. I do plan to add a chip to my truck after I get a new/rebuilt turbo, but mainly for increased mileage and low rpm towing power. I'm pleased with the mileage, but more is always better, and the extra 30-60 hp won't hurt anything.
As for Duramaxes being Sunday trucks, a friend of mine has a large fleet of Cat compact track loaders and Bob-Cat mowers (around 20 of each) and uses Chevy 3500 Duramaxes almost exclusively to tow this equipment. He has a couple older 6.5 diesels and a few 1/2 tons (for the mowers, not the loaders), but the rest are Duramaxes, working hard every day.

BrandonV
01-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't think its the one from the LCF i believe its one they're taking from Range Rover.

Yep, that's the motor that the Ford LCF uses. IMO perfect motor for a 1/2 ton or a great "entry level" 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for the guy who doesn't have to have the biggest, baddest truck on the road (like me).

TXNSLighting
01-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't think its the one from the LCF i believe its one they're taking from Range Rover.

no the one in the LCF is a powerstroke engine. so it wont be used. but its similar. and yes its the one found in the range rover.

meets1
01-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Car & driver are stating that Dogde will be getting a light duty cummins in the 1/2 ton for 2010 and hemi is getting bumped up to 380hp 404 torque. So things keep getting more HP. 1/2 ton models should be pushing green or better milage but an extra 20 - 30 hp more. If you own 3/4 ton - to me, my work, etc that is what the truck is for. I am not counting on milage pulling 10k trailer all the time.

grassman177
01-30-2008, 01:33 AM
youa ll sound like little kids with the mine is better cuz i said so crap. this thread is hilarious.; I run a ford f 250 with the v10 gasoline, 2007 model 4x4

this thing pulls like crazy and still gets great milage to boot. i get the same milage out of this pulling a 22ft trailor with heavy mowers on it than our f250 v8 triton pullin g a 16 ft enclosed.

soha, no deisel for me in a turck, but the mowers is another matter*trucewhiteflag*. running kubota!!!!!!:weightlifter:

hosejockey2002
01-30-2008, 03:41 AM
no the one in the LCF is a powerstroke engine. so it wont be used. but its similar. and yes its the one found in the range rover.

That does make sense, since IH and Ford seem to be parting ways. Too bad, the VT265 (4.5 Powerstroke) from what I've heard seems to be a good little engine.

TomberLawn
01-30-2008, 08:55 AM
The 4.5 powerstroke has almost the exact same hp/torque specs as my 5.9 cummins. That's doing pretty good!

DeereHunterMF09
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Pretty sad that technology has overcome displacement so fast. But I'd take a big engine over a wound up little one any day.

Nature's Pro
01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
It is true the Tundra is looking for a diesel it will probably be a Hino because Hino is Toyota's big truck manufactuer. In the SEMA show Toyota did have a beefed up Tundra with a Hino diesel. I know this to be true becaue I am currently enrolled in a Diesel Service class and we get all kinds of information like this. I cant remember the publication it was in.

BrandonV
01-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Pretty sad that technology has overcome displacement so fast. But I'd take a big engine over a wound up little one any day.

As my twin brother who is and engineer for a big engine parts supplier always say "There is no replacement for displacement." This is very true now w/ all the small diesels and the problems they have.

meets1
01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I know this has been posted some where but I can't find it. I need the info stating what ford does to increase there power therefore making there diesel have some trouble?? Reasoning - my uncle is all FORD and he doesn't beleive me.

TomberLawn
01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Really, the EPA is the enemy of reliable diesel engines. If engineers had spent the past 10 years increasing fuel efficiency, less emissions would be a by-product of that. Burn less fuel, produce less emissions. But all the engine manufacturers had to devote so much effort to meeting emissions requirements that fuel economy became secondary. Many of the heavy duty truck engine makers advertise their new engines as "meeting EPA standards while not sacrificing fuel economy." If this country was serious about reducing dependence on foreign oil, engineers would be allowed to research "green fuels" and make advances in economy. Think about how good engines were before strict emissions standards were levied and how good they could be now if manufacturers had the liberty to improve them. One thing the EPA should think about is longevity. It takes a tremendous amount of energy and resources to manufacture engines. New engines are not expected to last as long as the engines produced 10 years ago, because of exhaust gas recirculation and other emission reducing methods. So, the "sooty" diesel engines of old, which weren't all that bad at the tail pipe, may actually produce less harmful pollutants when you figure in their service life versus the shortened life of the new engines.

BrandonV
01-31-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree totally, believe it or not we have a pretty much worn out 92 f350 7.3 non turbo that has 300k of employee driving, that darn truck used to get 20-23 mpg! why the heck can't they match that now

SpruceLandscape
01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
In my opinion... and take it as just that...
Part of the reason all these laws are coming up (and I agree to an extent with the last few posts) is not that these politicians haven't thought about the problem the right way, its that all these environmental lobbyists in congress and on capitol hill are the ones who are bending the ears of the politicians. Remember... the squeaky wheel gets the oil?? Its the same case here, except that the squeaky wheel also shoves a little money in a pocket here and there to get the oil (or favors etc.). Bottom line is that as long as you have people who don't really understand the nature of the problem, or the different sides of the problem would maybe be a better way of putting it, then they can't really make a good informed decision about what the best way to solve it is. Couple that with favors they owe certain lobbyists and organizations for helping them get elected, then thats what they are going to do. Lets be honest, how many lawyers, law directors, and other people of wealth that have the money to run for these offices do you think have ever actually looked under the hood of a meduim/heavy duty truck? Or any vehicle for that matter? I would say a safe bet is less than .5% of them. Cheers!:drinkup: