PDA

View Full Version : Over loaded?

TAF
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
I tow my excavator with this set up. I have new trailer brakes on ALL 6 wheel of the trailer. My truck is well maintained and does the job, but is by no means able to acceralate fast. I can do the speed limit, unless on a steep hill. In all the trips I have made I have never been pulled over or even looked at by the law. How can I tell if I am legal? The machine weighs 9500lbs and the trailer is I am guessing 3000lbs. I have a friend using a single axle 1 ton pulling a 19,500 lb 5th wheel. Granted I have a bumper pull pinlte hitch trailer.

Hammer away................

Patatoe1
12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Find out the GVWR of your truck. Then add the weight of the trailer, excavator, and anything else you are carrying in the truck/bed/trailer. If that number is higher than than the truck's GVWR then you are overloaded.

bobcat_ron
12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
If that's just an old 1 ton dually, don't even bother looking up the GVWR, you are severely over weight, something with that setup should be pulled around by a Top Kick or small Peterbilt, all that weight is going to kill that truck very slowly.

One of the most important things I learned in my Class 1 truck training is that no matter how much horsepower the engine has and how well maintained your truck is, it's all in the braking power, those "little" 1 tonners DO NOT have adequate brakes for that application, even if you have an exhaust brake or some form of engine/drive line ******ation.

P.Services
12-20-2007, 03:41 PM
i bet that thing can stop on a dime with brakes on all three trailer axles and on the truck, is that a little skid steer in the back?

wayneo7
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
The GVWR is 16,000 lbs. I have a 1979 Chevy dump just about like that one and you are right it will haul and or pull just about anything. Maybe not on the legal side but can do it. What year is your truck??

Petr51488
12-20-2007, 04:01 PM
i bet that thing can stop on a dime with brakes on all three trailer axles and on the truck, is that a little skid steer in the back?

I was thinking the same thing. I hope it isn't.

TAF
12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
The truck is 1978 with a 383 small block. Its does stop very well despite what I am pulling. I have a NEW brake controller in it& new tires on the truck as well. And yes that is a small 4x4 tractor in the back. The tractor weighs 1100lbs. I usually only tow the trailer and the excavator. Here I was coming home from a small job a mile from home,and hauled both. I drive this accordingly. I am looking for some thing larger to replace this truck. But for as much as I use this it works for me. This truck has never let me down, and its paid for! I have had plenty of cell phone talkers cut me off and expect them to, I am never in a hurry towing anything, and drive almost exclusively in a rural area. Not saying its right, but I have'nt had any issues or "Close calls"

Gravel Rat
12-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Those old Chevy trucks have larger brakes than the old Fords of the same year. They do stop fairly decent but they still don't have the braking power as a truck with 4 wheeldisk brakes.

You are way overloaded for a truck that year. That machine looks like its in the 10,000lb mark which in combination with the weight of the trailer it will put you 14,000lbs.

It doesn't matter how good the brakes are on your trailer all it takes is the main power feed for the electric brakes to fail and you are SOL.

I don't trust electric brakes only air brakes even vacuum over hydraulic brakes are not that reliable.

When you drive everyday on the steeper grades like I do 365 days a year having good brakes is a must. My 6.0 has a exhaust brake that helps a little I still have to use the old fashion way of using the gears and knowing how fast to decend the hills. Many of the hills or twists and turns are killers if you take them too fast. If your fully loaded you MUST obey the speed limit posted for the corners. The corners have a speed limit usually 40km/h (24mph). There is a few S bends that I keep forgetting that you can't go that fast in with a loaded or empty truck.

Now with the downhill grades some are straight some are not. The ones that are not you can roast your brakes in one decent. I have seen many people with brakes so hot they either have flames or hot enough to give you a burn on your finger if you touch them. Some people have gotten their trailer brakes so hot they glazed the brake drums and shoes going down one hill.

Myself I have been trucking long enough that I rarely use my brakes even with a loaded truck (16,000lbs) or gravel truck 57,500lbs. With my F-450 trucks carrying 8000lbs on its back I never had the brakes hot enough to smell them. Use the gears and common sense. I owned F-350 trucks with drum brakes on the back and disk brakes on the front. Used to decend the 10% grades in first or second gear and keep my speed around 12 mph.

I was always taught decend hills like you have no brakes so use the engine back pressure as much as possible and use the brakes just to keep the engine from over revving.

Some loads I have hauled I have taken couple kilometer detour to avoid the steep hills. The main highway is limited to 10% but the side roads are steeper than that they are in the 12% or greater. Those are the dead slow decents and don't use your brakes if you get brake fade you will be in for a wild ride to the bottom scream accross a busy highway hope you don't hit anybody and end up in the woods or a housing development.

Some places where you have a stop sign at the bottom of the hill you try not to stop at the bottom because even with a legal loaded 1 ton or F-450-550 sized truck you will have a real tough time. So what you do as your going down keep a eye on the traffic and if it looks clear make a right or left turn.

To sum it up your truck is overloaded any way you look at it. You get in a accident and kill people because your truck is grossly overloaded.

If you can't keep the loads within 1000lbs of legal then your truck is too small. A 1979 Chevy was never designed to pull trailers heavier than 10,000lbs. The old Chevs only have a gvw of 10,000lbs. Chevy does have heavier springs so they can pack a load but your still only dealing with small brakes and light axles.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Awesome! Your pic is my new screen saver. That truck deserves a spot in a Tow Truck Hall of Fame!

mag360
12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Those old Chevy trucks have larger brakes than the old Fords of the same year. They do stop fairly decent but they still don't have the braking power as a truck with 4 wheeldisk brakes.

You are way overloaded for a truck that year. That machine looks like its in the 10,000lb mark which in combination with the weight of the trailer it will put you 14,000lbs.

It doesn't matter how good the brakes are on your trailer all it takes is the main power feed for the electric brakes to fail and you are SOL.

I don't trust electric brakes only air brakes even vacuum over hydraulic brakes are not that reliable.

When you drive everyday on the steeper grades like I do 365 days a year having good brakes is a must. My 6.0 has a exhaust brake that helps a little I still have to use the old fashion way of using the gears and knowing how fast to decend the hills. Many of the hills or twists and turns are killers if you take them too fast. If your fully loaded you MUST obey the speed limit posted for the corners. The corners have a speed limit usually 40km/h (24mph). There is a few S bends that I keep forgetting that you can't go that fast in with a loaded or empty truck.

Now with the downhill grades some are straight some are not. The ones that are not you can roast your brakes in one decent. I have seen many people with brakes so hot they either have flames or hot enough to give you a burn on your finger if you touch them. Some people have gotten their trailer brakes so hot they glazed the brake drums and shoes going down one hill.

Myself I have been trucking long enough that I rarely use my brakes even with a loaded truck (16,000lbs) or gravel truck 57,500lbs. With my F-450 trucks carrying 8000lbs on its back I never had the brakes hot enough to smell them. Use the gears and common sense. I owned F-350 trucks with drum brakes on the back and disk brakes on the front. Used to decend the 10% grades in first or second gear and keep my speed around 12 mph.

I was always taught decend hills like you have no brakes so use the engine back pressure as much as possible and use the brakes just to keep the engine from over revving.

Some loads I have hauled I have taken couple kilometer detour to avoid the steep hills. The main highway is limited to 10% but the side roads are steeper than that they are in the 12% or greater. Those are the dead slow decents and don't use your brakes if you get brake fade you will be in for a wild ride to the bottom scream accross a busy highway hope you don't hit anybody and end up in the woods or a housing development.

Some places where you have a stop sign at the bottom of the hill you try not to stop at the bottom because even with a legal loaded 1 ton or F-450-550 sized truck you will have a real tough time. So what you do as your going down keep a eye on the traffic and if it looks clear make a right or left turn.

To sum it up your truck is overloaded any way you look at it. You get in a accident and kill people because your truck is grossly overloaded.

If you can't keep the loads within 1000lbs of legal then your truck is too small. A 1979 Chevy was never designed to pull trailers heavier than 10,000lbs. The old Chevs only have a gvw of 10,000lbs. Chevy does have heavier springs so they can pack a load but your still only dealing with small brakes and light axles.

8,000lbs on the back of an f450 (on your grades) is just as hairy as 14,000 lbs on it's own set of axles (3) and brakes behind a c30.

TAF
12-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I apprecitate the feedback. I am going to move up in truck size. I don't need to push my luck any longer. What I am willing to spend for a larger truck just went up. I may as well get it over with.