PDA

View Full Version : blew a hose today

bobbyg18
12-20-2007, 10:45 PM
big mess...luckliy lots of snow around...

i replaced the blown hose but i think its leaking somewhere, checked the connections quickly and they seemed tight

am i missing anything?...ill check in the morning the conncetions

Dirt Digger2
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
blowing hoses isn't a big deal...in fact theres one hose that blows so often on our Case backhoes we keep a spares on all the trucks...just make sure the new hose looks exactly like the old, especially it it had rubber o-rings in it, and put it on...tightening with wrenches is fine, you can usually even get away with using a crescent wrench and channel locks if you don't have a box wrench handy

my guess is that you might be missing an o-ring...did you get an entire new hose made up?

Dirt Digger2
12-20-2007, 10:53 PM
why do you think its leaking?...unless you can clearly see visible oil leaking from the connections it might be residual oil left over from when the old hose blew

cat2
12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
what did you blow the hose on?

wanabe
12-20-2007, 11:23 PM
It could be a bad crimp that is leeking, or you may have lost the o ring. Another thing to watch out if for the PSI rating of the hose. Not all hose is created equal, and many time the local auto place hose will not work. I end up going back to the dealer all the time to get the 5000 psi hose, as the local place only had 2500psi hose.

RockSet N' Grade
12-21-2007, 12:24 AM
its usually residual hydraulic or replace o ring

Mulchin Larry
12-21-2007, 01:17 AM
It can get tricky. A few weeks ago I replaced a hose on my ASV going to the drive motor. When I filled the hydraulic tank back up with fluid oil just rushed out of the sleeve of the drive motor intake line. It was a PITA to get to because it was on the way back side of the tracks in a crevice that you could barely fit you left hand into. After more time than I care to admit I got a new hose on. Since myself and several other people had agreed that yes that had to be the leaking hose, I thought the problem was solved. Well low and behold another hose on the inside of the undercarriage had rubbed against the drive motor intake line (that I replaced,) until the other hose got a hole in it burst and spewed its fluid down the sleeve of the drive motor hose. So after dropping the underbelly and folding back the cab I was finally able to replace the correct hose. What a PITA and three lost days that I will never get back.

Damn it feels good to vent. So F.Y.I. make sure you replaced the right hose. Or as they said it may just be an O Ring or something else easy that may have been overlooked.

RockSet N' Grade
12-21-2007, 09:55 AM
MulchinLarry....don't feel so bad, I have spent over $6,000 replacing hoses on my track-ho. Seems that Gehl had problems with ALL their hoses on their machines in 1999 and 2000. All the crimps were bad on their hoses. I have inherited that problem on one particular machine that I own and now have replaced almost every single solitary hose on this track hoe.

bobcat_ron
12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Been there done that on my Bobcat, $6000 worth.

Let's see how my Cat does.

Dirt Digger2
12-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Been there done that on my Bobcat, $6000 worth.

Let's see how my Cat does.

our cats havent been too bad...but when they do blow its one of the big lines that you can't reach

we had a big SOB break on our Liebherr this summer, i believe it might have been a 2 inch line, and of course it was just out of arms reach when you were under the machine with oil dripping in your face

bobcat_ron
12-21-2007, 02:59 PM
I hate blowing any line on an excavator, last Summer I blew a 2 1/2" off the old 330B right beside the cab, it was a shot gun sound, that's one of the reasons excavators use lexan on the right side of the cabs for quite a few years.

Dirt Digger2
12-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I hate blowing any line on an excavator, last Summer I blew a 2 1/2" off the old 330B right beside the cab, it was a shot gun sound, that's one of the reasons excavators use lexan on the right side of the cabs for quite a few years.

the only thing worse is having a leaky swing motor...getting that out took a lot of patience and cost the boss 6 stitches in his calf:laugh: