PDA

View Full Version : Why is the oil in my new Troy Bilt mower look charcoal grey color?

yungman
12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I changed the oil in my new Troy Bilt TB836 mower the first time after about 5hr. of running. When I drain the oil, it look very dark charcoal grey, almost black!!! I read from somewhere othe people had experience that. Yesterday I change the oil on my tiller which has B & S engine also. The oil looked normal for few hours running, quite clean. The mower suppose to have a Quantum engine, cheapy moderate use rating only.
Do I have a case to tell my big boss ( say wife) that I need a pro mower!!!!!
Thanks

saw man
12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
:gunsfirin

newz7151
12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
:hammerhead::laugh::laughing::jester:

yungman
12-21-2007, 02:19 AM
How come I got all the smilies in both but no words?:hammerhead:

Envy Lawn Service
12-21-2007, 02:39 AM
I assume you installed quality oil after the drain.

Run it another 10-20 hours and keep an eye on it.
It should be normal.

The first oil change in any engine is subject to all sorts of oddities...

As for your wife and your business decisions...
Does she physically and/or materially participate in your business?... Does she run the show?

If not, what business does she have playing a role in any of your business decisions?

Love and marriage and seeking the approval and support of your wife is all good and fine.
But your marriage is one thing and your business is totally another.
So it is best that you draw a distinct line of separation and keep it that way.

Some of the henpecked are sure to insist I am being rude...
And I'm sure the landscaper chicks are sure to be all over this...

But I am not trying to be rude, ugly or sexist...
I'm just stating that unsolicited unexperienced input on your decisions can be unhealthy for your business.

And one of the best ways to avoid that is to not involve or include your spouse or family members in your direct business decisions such as this. Being married has no bearing at all on what factors into wise business decisions. Buy what you need. Make investments that yield more profit, more take home pay, and more production so you can spend more time with your family.

The fact you are bringing home some bacon and have time to enjoy it with them is all they need concern themselves with.

yungman
12-21-2007, 03:16 AM
I am not in business of lawncare, These are all my toys only!!! I just love things run on gas!!! She know I use excuse to buy toys:laugh:!!

When I bought the mower, I thought that was supposed to be a good one, now I realize it is just so so. I wish I would have bought a better one.

chuck bow
12-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Why do you have so many Oil questions ? Are you a engineer or something who is just lurking here . Dont mean to be rude but seems thats all your posts are about

saw man
12-21-2007, 11:16 AM
He is just a homeowner Troll! He wont learn and it really doesnt matter what you post because he wont listen.

treemonkey
12-21-2007, 03:33 PM
It is common for many new engines to have elevated wear metals in the oil during break in that results in the "glitter-like" gray color. It should disappear after the second oil change or so.

Your mowers should last many years with proper care.

Or.............if you are looking to get better "toys", then this answer:

For best over all value, you should always buy top of the line equipment from the start. The initial higher cost will be more than offset by less repairs, longer life, fewer headaches, etc.. That gray color is an indication of lower quality aluminum cylinders.

Restrorob
12-21-2007, 06:56 PM
That gray color is an indication of lower quality aluminum cylinders.

;) :laugh: http://www.iol.ie/~gtir/misc/thumbs/thumbup3.gif