PDA

View Full Version : Miles on a clutch

siklid1066
12-21-2007, 06:40 AM
On the average,about how many miles do you guys get out of a clutch.(meaning, a dump truck towing a trailer set up)

yardmanlee
12-21-2007, 06:44 AM
depends on the driver or # drivers we just put a clutch in our 1500 dodge 99 4wd it pulls a trailer everyday and it has 124,00 miles on it. and I bought it new in 99

backhoe1
12-21-2007, 11:32 PM
I agree w/yardman, drivers have as much to do with it than anything, I've had them last anywhere from 5,000 to 200,000.

siklid1066
12-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I thought this would be a good topic.I guess alot of guys are running auto matics.

Bigred350
12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
1994 f 450 460 motor pulling 25 foot trailer and skid steer. 105,000miles

lwcmattlifter
12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Got 110,000 out of my F-350 PSD before the springs on the pressure plate went out. The clutch still had lots of material left on it. Got a 01 Ram 2500 CTD that just turned 100k with the original both tow/haul heavy on a regular basis.

P.Services
12-22-2007, 04:38 PM
if you want a clutch that will last even with bad drivers make sure to use a ceramic one in stead of the full organic. im doing mine in my kodiak right now

2k1yzfr1
12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
2003 Dodge 2500 cummins with 93k all in town pulling 7500k. Over the past few weeks I have been putting in a gravel driveway to my shop and hauled about 30-35 loads that weighed anywhere from 13-15k without any burning clutch smell.

topsites
12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
50 to 100k easy, really at least 80...

The clutch is made of the same material as your brake pads, so unless the clutch is fully engaged OR disengaged, anywhere in between those two it is rubbing against the plates. The more friction your clutch encounters in its life, the faster it wears.
Technically speaking it could last forever.
Realistically, no.
So if when it needs replacing you have a choice between a better clutch (like a heavy duty type or material) I would pay the extra, every time.

Some clutches do not fully disengage even when the pedal is fully depressed, this is likely a fault with the mechanical items but may not be easy to fix, best I can recommend is take it out of gear at prolonged stops.

A lot has to do with driving:
- Avoid backing or starting up an incline, the more severe the incline, the worse this gets.
You have to decide if it's worth the wear on the clutch or if you feel like hauling the load in barrows, can't tell you what to do.
Maybe charge some customers extra if their 1/4 mile long driveway goes up the side of Mount Everest, I don't know.

- After getting going, learn how to shift as clutchlessly as possible:
> From one gear to the next: let go of gas, depress clutch, shift, release clutch fully, now re-engage gas, in that exact order.
At no time should both pedals be pushed at the same time. This is the easy way, takes some practice to make it less jolty.
> The hard way is to learn at what point the engine rpm's match the transmission in a coast state, and to glide the engine to match these rpm's both coming out and going into gear with careful positioning of the gas pedal: But without serious practice this tactic is as likely to backfire.

What not to do:
- I've seen it all, folks going from gear to gear, they come out of gear all right but when going into the next gear they push the gas as they release the clutch :nono:... Better off footing these pedals independent from each other, that is, one pedal at a time, let go of one before pushing the next, OR give it only a teenie bit of gas, that likely works the best.
- Of course some folks are still letting go of the gas by the time the clutch is to the floor... The less pressure the engine is putting on the tranny, the better, of course, both coming out and going in to gear.
- The worst certainly is backing up, I would just avoid this at all costs or at least as much as possible. The one way I can recommend is to back up idling or with very little gas, then let the clutch out completely and use only the brake and maybe a little gas to go... Obviously this doesn't work on inclines and can result in stalls, but the practice in itself helps.

Another thing too, just take it nice and easy, that almost never fails.

Hope that helps, don't ride the clutch. :)

1cooltreeguy
12-22-2007, 06:00 PM
On the average,about how many miles do you guys get out of a clutch.(meaning, a dump truck towing a trailer set up)

Well, if u do not get at least 100,000 miles out of a clutch then you or someone else is dogging the truck....:usflag:

topsites
12-22-2007, 06:05 PM
DO make sure your clutch fully engages when the pedal is fully released!

As clutches wear, some can be further adjusted: This is usually a one time deal and also tells you of an upcoming repair.
Usually, if it can be adjusted, one does this at first sign of slippage.
You might get another 5-10k miles out of it that way, maybe more, maybe not.

btw if you smell clutch burning you're likely doing something wrong.
This smell signals extreme wear and tear, once or twice during the lifetime of the clutch is considered acceptable, but if it happens on a regular basis it could be time for some revisions.

kyfireman2004
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
My 2001 3500 Cummings Dodge has 180,000 showing but would say its closer to 230,000 actual. It has the original clutch from day one. From Dec.2000 till March 2003 It pulled a ten ton pintle with a 873 bobcat daily. It still pulls some bobcats but not on a daily basis. Mostly trees, my old gooseneck dump, and mulch. As a note..........I installed 90 horse injectors at 30,000 miles.
Note 2 ..........It needs a new clutch now. It started slipping about 2 months ago. I have really babied it the past 2 months . I am trying to ride it out till it slows down in Jan-Feb. My new clutch will be a south bend. 3 note I did the county truck pull twice............Please no comments.lol I know better now!
Finally ..............Its both the driver and the truck on how long a clutch will last.