PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Control Switch on the CAT297C

GMUGNIER
12-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Apparently this option - which is referred to as the "Pattern Control Switch" is not as plug and play as they lead us to believe. The "Button" or switch is $15.00 but the software is $700.00 - WTF? and a hour of time. Now I don't mind paying for a option within reason - but this does not sound reasonable. Now does anyone else here have any insight on this option, or has anyone else had this done to there machine? What is involved? Does the dealer have to buy the software once and then download it to any machine they want, or is it a per machine purchase? Also they mentioned that there was a "enhancement" software download - to improve responsiveness when the pattern switch is in use. Is this extra? And a password as well? Is the password per machine - or is it the same for every machine? Any and all response will be appreciated...

bobcat_ron
12-21-2007, 11:29 AM
I think it's a button on the right side of the upper cab (by the over ride switch) that activates an electric valve to change over the pattern as well as the work tool harness kit.

GMUGNIER
12-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the location - I was looking for more specific info on the install..

iron peddler
12-21-2007, 02:54 PM
the button is not on the upper left side..it would be postioned with the park brake to force you to pick a pattern before you unlock the brake....dealer has to request software from factory to flash it on the machine....it is pretty much a 700 charge each time a password is requested...passwords are different each time....it seems high...but it is aleast a 1000 bucks to get pattern changers on excavators....the manufacturer would rather you not switch patterns but to sell machines they have had to adapt..hope that info helps

iron peddler
12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
just rechecked my response the switch would be on the left console near the parking brake switch sorry for the mixup

qps
12-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Apparently this option - which is referred to as the "Pattern Control Switch" is not as plug and play as they lead us to believe. The "Button" or switch is $15.00 but the software is $700.00 - WTF? and a hour of time. Now I don't mind paying for a option within reason - but this does not sound reasonable. Now does anyone else here have any insight on this option, or has anyone else had this done to there machine? What is involved? Does the dealer have to buy the software once and then download it to any machine they want, or is it a per machine purchase? Also they mentioned that there was a "enhancement" software download - to improve responsiveness when the pattern switch is in use. Is this extra? And a password as well? Is the password per machine - or is it the same for every machine? Any and all response will be appreciated...

I had it installed on mine...at no charge....download from the factory takes about 45 min...or so they said, switch is above the parking brake and you must choose which pattern when you start it...don't know if it's a charge per machine...my guess is yes, since they have to download it from cat and have a password..seems to work well....no complaints..very responsive...

GMUGNIER
12-21-2007, 07:32 PM
The enhancement is for when the machine is placed in the alternate mode - I.E. other than the CAT mode - and supposedly it greatly enhances the responsiveness of the controls - you might get it for free if you already have the pattern control switch installed...

Tigerotor77W
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
just rechecked my response the switch would be on the left console near the parking brake switch sorry for the mixup

And I will second this statement.