PDA

View Full Version : Appearence of Fertilized Lawn without Irrigation

chiseled
12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I am a rookie to the lawn fertilizer game. However, i do know 4-5 applications is the range for the season. Lets say hypothetically speaking I make all the necessary fert. applications BUT the only water the turf gets is rain. Will there be a noticeable difference? If not, on average how many inches of water does turf need?

Midstate Lawncare
12-21-2007, 04:44 PM
4-5 apps per year is a little conservative. Offer 6 they take 5... offer 5 they take 4 :confused::confused::confused: Yes there is a remarkable difference between irrigated and non-irrigated lawns. Normal water for "ESTABLISHING TURF" is 1 hour per day for 2 weeks(in each area), then 1 hour every other day for one week, then 1.5 hours every 3 days for one week, at last, 2 hours on monday and friday / tuesday and saturday. Keeping the waterings 4 days apart and watering deeply is what is most important on an "ESTABLISHED LAWN". Watering this way drives the roots of the grass deeper into the soil and makes the lawn more able to fend off disease, insect damage and heat stress.