PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use synthetic hydrualic oil???

AmsoilPower
12-22-2007, 01:16 AM
What kind do you use. Would it be beneficial to use Amsoil synthetic oil?

PerfectEarth
12-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Oh great, here we go again.

I think you might actually be turning people OFF to Amsoil products....

AmsoilPower
12-22-2007, 01:47 AM
This is a forum to discuss and maybe argue opinions? I asked for opinions and have gotten them. Believe it or not, most have been very good towards Amsoil. If people are turned off they don't need to reply and they can "ignore" me. My intent is to inform everyone of the benefits Amsoil has to offer. Yes, I am a independent dealer of Amsoil and I fronted alot of $$$$ to sponsor a forum here. I will get my $$$ worth of opinions and have fun w/ it. We are all in business here. :usflag:

Scag48
12-22-2007, 06:14 AM
I used Amsoil in dirt bikes but that's it. I do not believe the "change your oil once every 10K miles" or whatever that spiel is for cars/trucks. Fact of the matter is, I don't believe there is any advantage to running synthetic hydraulic fluid. You're changing it every 1,000 hours anyway and if you don't you're risking quite a bit, let alone if you have a machine with a warranty they absolutely will not stand behind you if you don't follow service intervals.

Happy Frog
12-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I have seen a claim that synthetic hydro oil runs cooler and I don't see how it's possible.
Does anyone has an explanation or experienced it?
Is synthetic dissipating heat quicker than regular oil?
It would be worth considering if its true, I think.

bobcat_ron
12-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I use whatever oil the dealership/mechanic throws in, that way if something goes wrong.........."yo' fault" is the name of my Insurance carrier.

Happy Frog
12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Good answer! :laugh:

Fieldman12
12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
On my Deere skid steer the hydraulics, case and engine all take motor oil. I use Rotella T. I have heard good things about Amsoil along with Lucas Oil. It all is just too expensive for me to afford.

YellowDogSVC
12-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I think Bobcat turned off a lot of people by requiring Bobcat brand hydro oil. Doesn't Bobcat use Rexroth pumps? Does Rexroth require only Bobcat oil in every application? I doubt it. I think a lot of claims are made by a lot of oil companies. Truth of the matter is, the first and only time I ran a synthethic on a technicians advice, I had major component damage but maybe that was a fluke.

ksss
12-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I am a big believer in Amsoil products. I run them in my pickups and trucks and in my excavator. I don't use the hyd. fluid just not as convienent. I think there are advantages to it, I have not had a reason to switch to it. The other issue is when you blow a hose it is much more expensive than it already is.

AWJ Services
12-22-2007, 07:09 PM
I actually use Mobil synthetic because it was always readily available.
I have actually pulled oil out of the crankcase with 15k miles and sent it in to Shell for oil anaylisis.
It was still up to spec in all categories.
I use synthetic oil in everything.
Hyd oil is different.So far it has not been proven to actually extend the life for the average consumer.

Ridin' Around
12-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I think Bobcat turned off a lot of people by requiring Bobcat brand hydro oil. Doesn't Bobcat use Rexroth pumps? Does Rexroth require only Bobcat oil in every application? I doubt it. I think a lot of claims are made by a lot of oil companies. Truth of the matter is, the first and only time I ran a synthethic on a technicians advice, I had major component damage but maybe that was a fluke.

If your dealer is telling you you have to run A specific brand of oil, you should do a google on the Magason Moss act. It is a piece of legislation passed that says the OEM can reqiure that an oil that meet a specification to retain warranty, but not a brand. If they told you "had to" use Bobcat oil, guess what - they have to supply it to you, no charge. This means you have some $$ comin back from your dealer. Check out the legislation and then ask your lawyer next time your your chattin at 100 bucks an hour anyway!
Harley-Davidson just got caught on this, telling their customers in "The Enthusiast" magazine, a Harley owners publication, that the only synthetic that could be put in Harley trannies, to retain the factory warranty was Screamin Eagle oil, Harley's synthetic(or at least the one they are putting in a bottle with their label on it). They will be issuing a "retraction" on that statement in an upcoming issue of the same magazine. A public "correction" of that statement was just put out as a press release. It didn't take more than a couple of lawyers to see this, probably H-D riders themselves, and remind them of their tiny mistake. That is the kind of "scare tactic" that OEMs like to use to help them sell product.
Maybe I don't want to know, but what brand of synth were you using and was the failure a lube failure or a parts failure?

ksss
12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I have a neighbor who runs synthetic hyd. fluid in his excavators (2-228's, 1-308 Komatsu and a TB53 and TB180 TK. He claims they run cooler and cycle faster. He is a big believer in it. The synthetic motor oil has advantages as does the gear oil. I change it out it on my pickups when the service light interval light comes on (about 8K), the dump trucks I change once a year. The benefits are well documented. There have been truck fleets that have put up to 400k on one oil change (the filter changes are regular interval). They went until the oil analysis came back saying it was time to change. They have tore down the engines and found no adverse wear. My personal experience although not as extensive has been positive. Easier Winter starting, run cooler and best of all I have never had a component failure in anything that I have used it in. Maybe its luck but I will continue to hedge my luck with synthetic oil.

AmsoilPower
12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
So very true. Likewise, I believe OEM's cannot tell you must bring in your equipment every so often for a "check-up" and charge you to maintain your warranty.:hammerhead:

AWJ Services
12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
If your dealer is telling you you have to run A specific brand of oil, you should do a google on the Magason Moss act. It is a piece of legislation passed that says the OEM can reqiure that an oil that meet a specification to retain warranty, but not a brand.

What the manufacturer does to get around this is spec an oil that is different than what anyone else is using or presently being made.
Then the consumer has to hope that an oil company decides to pick up this spec.
If you use the wrong spec then it voids the warranty.
Luckily Takeuchi uses engine oil for Hyd Oil.Makes it easy to find.

Sea Doo did this with there 2 stroke oil.

Gravel Rat
12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
The gravel truck I'am running part time we are using used canola oil its cheap and enviromentally friendly.

Regular hydraulic oil is expensive enough I can't imagine what the price of a full synthetic. The cheap stuff AW32 is 34 dollars for a 5 gallon pail.

Same with engine oil your paying up to 38 dollars a gallon for full synthetic engine oil. For a 6.0 your paying 152.00 for 4 gallons of oil compared to 56 for high grade Delo 400 dino.

Ridin' Around
12-23-2007, 07:13 PM
The gravel truck I'am running part time we are using used canola oil its cheap and enviromentally friendly.

Regular hydraulic oil is expensive enough I can't imagine what the price of a full synthetic. The cheap stuff AW32 is 34 dollars for a 5 gallon pail.

Same with engine oil your paying up to 38 dollars a gallon for full synthetic engine oil. For a 6.0 your paying 152.00 for 4 gallons of oil compared to 56 for high grade Delo 400 dino.

I'm paying less than $85.00 for a case of gallons (4 gallon jugs) and this is oil that meets the spec for the new emmision spec for the most recent diesels. The sec for the oil use is listed here:
• API CJ-4, CI-4+, CH-4, CF
• API SM, SL, SJ...
• ACEA E7
• Mack EO-O Premium Plus
• DDC Power Guard 93K218
• Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-1
• Cummins CES 20081
• Volvo VDS-4
• MB 228.3
• MTU Type II

You should shop around and make sure your getting the best deal. I'm sure a few bucks should be worth it!

Hummer
12-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Truth is that I've rather enjoyed the fact there has not previously been any Amsoil being pushed in this forum, unlike some of the truck forums that I visit.

GradeMan
12-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I pay only 25 for 5gals of hyd oil, and 55 for shell rotella t 15 40

P.Services
12-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Truth is that I've rather enjoyed the fact there has not previously been any Amsoil being pushed in this forum, unlike some of the truck forums that I visit.

i agree, this kind of thread should not be allowed. this guy and that ken guy trying to sell trailer locks bug the oil right out of me!!!! go away.

AmsoilPower
12-23-2007, 10:14 PM
If you are so bothered by my asking of opinions and me replying to a small % of them, why are you taking your time to read the thread and reply to it?:confused:

If were not for people like me that pay $$$$$ to sponsor a forum, this site probably would not exist, period. :hammerhead:

I'm a small business owner just like you. Just trying to make a living and provide for my family, therefore............................:drinkup:

Hummer
12-23-2007, 10:43 PM
I initially took the time to read this thread because the title of it sounded interesting to me, 'Anyone use synthetic hydraulic oil?'. If the thread title had had any mention of Amsoil in it I absolutely wouldn't have started reading it. Take for instance the thread that you started in the Trucks & Trailers forum, you did in that instance insert the word 'Amsoil' in the thread title and I therefore avoided even thinking about reading it. I knew what to expect.

And I don't care for the ' I'm a small biz owner... just trying to make a living for my family....' attitude. I give as much sympathy for that line as the old 'Well... She's/I'm a single mother just trying to raise her/my kids' line.

It's no secret that Amsoil pushers have gotten a bad reputation on the internet over the years and a lot of it is justified.

If you are so bothered by my asking of opinions and me replying to a small % of them, why are you taking your time to read the thread and reply to it?:confused:

If were not for people like me that pay $$$$$ to sponsor a forum, this site probably would not exist, period. :hammerhead:

I'm a small business owner just like you. Just trying to make a living and provide for my family, therefore............................:drinkup:

backhoe1
12-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe this guy and ken could start a special forum for people that don't like to change their oil and worry about their trailers being stolen:laugh:

AmsoilPower
12-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Look, I am not here to offend or make enemies with anyone. I respect the fact that you do not care for Amsoil or us dealers and that is fine. I realize I am trying to sell a quality product and will receive negative opinions from time to time. I have no problem with that, but I assure you of one thing......I will never tell them to "go away".*trucewhiteflag*

ksss
12-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I really don't see what the big deal is. If you did not know by his signature that he was an Amsoil dealer, no one would have jumped him. If he started numerous threads pushing Amsoil I can see this response. How is this guy any different than having a JD dealer or CAT reps responding on this forum? At least give him an opportunity to justify this kind of response. The other issue is I don't see moderator under anyone's name. Its not our forum to act as Judge Dread.

Construct'O
12-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I really don't see what the big deal is. If you did not know by his signature that he was an Amsoil dealer, no one would have jumped him. If he started numerous threads pushing Amsoil I can see this response. How is this guy any different than having a JD dealer or CAT reps responding on this forum? At least give him an opportunity to justify this kind of response. The other issue is I don't see moderator under anyone's name. Its not our forum to act as Judge Dread.

I thought the thread was going pretty good with lots of replys that got me to thinking about the different types of oil and not so much about what brand.

Didn't see him jumping in every other reply,so wasn't a big deal.

As far as trying to make a living and taking care of your family thumbs up.Yeah you have a hard life i wouldn't change places.I love what i do.Good luck.

I was thinking more like Judge Judy !!!!!!!!!:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
12-24-2007, 01:38 PM
I have been interested in "synthetic oils" for a long time and am most interested. Some of the big movers that use dolly's run completely biodegradable oils. On some military contract jobs you are required to use biodegradable hydraulic oils. Some machines require significant mod's to accomplish this.........so there you go, that is one step further than Amsoil.....but learning as much as I can is one of the reasons I am here. Keep on bringin' on all the horse shat you can........I know there is a pony in there somewhere!

RockSet N' Grade
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
GravelRat........keep us posted to how that "used canola oil" works for your hydraulics. You should probably be pricing rebuilt or new hydraulic pumps in the process. How are you keeping that stuff warm enough to pump? Have you checked out the viscosity spec's on canola.......even when it is hot?

bobcat_ron
12-24-2007, 04:18 PM
One of my bro's 320CLU's came with Cat branded vegie oil in from the factory, what a bunch of sh*t. Any time the weather got above 22 degrees Celsius, the warnings for the over heating in the hydraulics came on, we could only work for about 4 hours full tilt until we were reduced to letting it idle for 20 minutes, if I did it right, I could let it idle on my coffee and lunch breaks with no problem.

Summer time on the other hand, it would only take 1 hour of WOT and the computer would idle that engine PDQ, we soon took it out and got our money back from Finning.

Gravel Rat
12-25-2007, 03:44 AM
The hoist on the gravel truck leaks and the truck doesn't get used everyday the canola oil is cheap. It actually stopped 90% of the leak by softening up the packing in the cylinder.

plumbguy
12-28-2007, 01:29 AM
this is my experience with Amsoil: I tried the synthetic heavy duty diesel oil in my 7.3 and was going to run it 10k but at 6k I sent in a sample of oil to the lab for analysis and they said that I should change it due to the metal content and dropping TBN. I'm glad I sent the sample, I believe that extended oil drain intervals are a crock even with a bypass filter, nothing beats just changing the oil in the traditional responsible manner. any quality fluid will suffice if changed accordingly and the equipment is maintained. when the TBN drops the oil is no good and a by pass filter does not prolong or rejuvenate the TBN.
My 2 cents worth.:cool2: