PDA

View Full Version : mower securement requirements Fed. or Kansas

racer56
12-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Trying to understand what is required to keep from getting a ticket. We are not considered a commercial truck duw to being under 10,000 CGWVR so maybe we don't have any regs at all I'm not sure. I like the prolockers but it just won't work for us as we run one mower in then another right behind it.

br549oicu8
12-22-2007, 08:54 AM
We use Fastrap straps. Google them....
You can drive right over them and get 1 for each rear tire.

racer56
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Anything else??

carcrz
12-29-2007, 09:31 PM
DOT regs. It is the Kansas State Patrol & KDOT that enforces that stuff though.

carcrz
12-29-2007, 09:32 PM
That goes for any unsecured load in any open vehicle @ any time going down the road. Commercial or not.

lifetree
12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
That goes for any unsecured load in any open vehicle @ any time going down the road. Commercial or not.

I just learned something here ... I thought it was only applicable to commercial vehicles, but apparently not !!

carcrz
12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I found out a couple years ago - it's for everyone. Had the local policeman & the DOT van to talk to on that one. Luckily they were both in good moods & I had lots of straps under the seat.

d&rlawncare
12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
even though you MIGHT be under the 10000 GCWR I am willing to bet KANSAS has a "catch all law" for securing items in vehicles in thier state vehicle code.

On top of that unless you have a s-10 with a one axle trailer I bet your over that 10,001 pounds and then you DO fall into the fed regs

racer56
12-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Dakota 5100 GWVR and 3500lb axe trailer. Kind of crazy I have to do the single axle thing to stay under the cap. Alot more risk of an accident, but then it's a Fed. reg. so it's not going to make sence :hammerhead:. I have always drove right by the enforcement guys as they see I'm under the cap and don't really mess with me. Saves me ALOT of time and MONEY. I do want to comply with all the rules that still apply to us though, anyone have a list? Any strap at all work? How many? Placement of them and gas cans securement? If the traile has 4 sides on it the only way it's going anywhere is flipping the thing and that would be the least of your problems it seems.
I asked a buddy that is a cop and he took a look at everything and said I should be fine but also said it really depends on who pulls us over,crap.
I can't get a commercial license so I have to work things this way and it also saves the hassle of who will drive it as anyone can now. We looked at a custom trailer that we could have 2 2000lb axles put on that would keep me under the limit but then we would get hassled by the enforcement guys as my buddy says they look for a dual axle and know they are over the 10k max and pull them over to have a closer look $ :nono:.
Anyway we just want to follow the rules all we can but need to have the rules. DOT here just have a list that applies to commercial only and told me no regs if not commercial but I wanted to be sure.

EngineeredLawns
12-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Send the State Police an email and ask for clarification as to what the law means. Here in Va. everyone is required to have a secured load. No real definition as to what that means as far as straps and such. Here in Va. every load of mulch, leaves, stone and any other material must be covered to be secure. the ticket is like $250.00 so I take the extra 4 minutes and cover all loose (material) loads.

Staying with a single axle trailer may not get you out of securing everything but you will not get hassled as much as a dual axle.

GravelyNut
12-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I just learned something here ... I thought it was only applicable to commercial vehicles, but apparently not !!

It varies by state as to how they enforce it, but it does apply to all. And weight is not the only thing that decides whether a vehicle is a commercial one or not. My pickup is non-comm but I still have to follow the some comm rules due to max GVWR. Local national park even restricts my speed in areas due to weight. And it just hurt again Friday when I had to renew the tag. $104 for the state and $6 more for the tag agency. Florida also requires you to renew your tags no later than your birthday each year. Unless the GVWR is 10000 or more. Then you have to do it by Dec. 31, along with the business ones.

racer56
12-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I understand it will need to be secure I'm just looking for what Kansas is calling and not calling secure. I don't want to leave it up to some cop "that thinks he knows".

lifetree
12-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Dakota 5100 GWVR and 3500lb axe trailer. Kind of crazy I have to do the single axle thing to stay under the cap. ... my buddy says they look for a dual axle and know they are over the 10k max ...

I have an F150 and a 1 axle trailer ... this is why I also stay with only a 1 axle trailer !!

lifetree
12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
... Staying with a single axle trailer may not get you out of securing everything but you will not get hassled as much as a dual axle.

Anything that will make life easier is fine with me ... not as much "hassle" means an easier life !!

lifetree
12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I understand it will need to be secure ...

I also secure everything on my trailer, no exceptions ... I don't keep anything in my truck bed !!

carcrz
12-31-2007, 08:19 AM
I understand it will need to be secure I'm just looking for what Kansas is calling and not calling secure. I don't want to leave it up to some cop "that thinks he knows".

I always go overkill when buying straps. On a trailer, I'd just go ahead & buy the thick yellow ones specifically for trailers. Not only will it be stronger, but they'll wear better because of their thickness.

I believe the rule is three points of contact. That is the case for material anyway. I would assume on equipment that you could have a strap across the front & a strap across the back to be safe. The fast straps would also be a viable option if you always have your equipment in the exact same place at all times. For gas cans - I use a Buyers rack mounted on the frame w/ a bungee cord holding everything down. I also have a cable lock through that. This was due to the fact that as soon as it went on, I lost 3 gas cans - 2 @ once & 1 replacement later that day.