PDA

View Full Version : Oily exhaust from Husqvarna Trimmer

mowerman90
12-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I have a Husky 323L trimmer that I feel is the best trimmer I've ever owned. It's light (9lbs), has great throttle response and plenty of power. However, one thing that bothers me about it and previous Husky trimmers I've owned, is that it spews an oily residue from the exhaust. It doesn't smoke and starts and runs well usually on the first pull. I use Stihl oil in my mix but have tried other oils and the result is the same. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is?

duke & sons
12-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Every 323L I have had did the same thing. I use amsoil in my 2 strokes. I would take the muffler off once a year and clean. The 326ls I have used never had this problem.

I have recently converted over to Kawasaki (kgt27a) trimmers. They are lighter than the Husky and are smoother (less vibration).

jrc lawncare
12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a Husky 323L trimmer that I feel is the best trimmer I've ever owned. It's light (9lbs), has great throttle response and plenty of power. However, one thing that bothers me about it and previous Husky trimmers I've owned, is that it spews an oily residue from the exhaust. It doesn't smoke and starts and runs well usually on the first pull. I use Stihl oil in my mix but have tried other oils and the result is the same. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is?husqvarna oil. works for my huskys,+, run em full bore once in a while, does em good.

Jason Rose
12-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I have 2-323L trimmers, Never noticed any problem... I use Opti-2 oil mixed at the label rate.

I think ALL 2 stroke engines throw oil out the muffler, just a normal byproduct of a gas/oil mix.

mowerman90
12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Every 323L I have had did the same thing. I use amsoil in my 2 strokes. I would take the muffler off once a year and clean. The 326ls I have used never had this problem.

I have recently converted over to Kawasaki (kgt27a) trimmers. They are lighter than the Husky and are smoother (less vibration).

Did the amsoil cure the problem?

mowerman90
12-22-2007, 04:29 PM
husqvarna oil. works for my huskys,+, run em full bore once in a while, does em good.

That's one oil I haven't tried because the Husky dealer isn't very close to me. I'll give some a try. I wonder if Lowes carries the stuff.

I do run mine wide open all the time.

duke & sons
12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
No. I have used amsoil from the beginning and had no problem with any other 2 stroke equipment.

The two 323ls I had, both oozed oil out the muffler even with the amsoil.

I mixed the amsoil at 85:1.

lawnboy dan
12-22-2007, 08:21 PM
my 323 ozes oil too-no matter what oil i use

AmsoilPower
12-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Lowes does not carry Amsoil. It is sold thru a dealer network. I can help you if needed.
Were you running your trimmer at wide open throttle. 2 cycles are made to run wide open to burn all the fuel mix, otherwise you may get some drippage out of your exhuast.

Envy Lawn Service
12-23-2007, 03:09 AM
Oil out the exhaust in this manner (I believe) is partly a by-product of engine design.

I have the same dang problem with my non-Stratocharged Redmax hedge clippers.
The exhaust is nasty, and it oozes oil, even though I use Amsoil.

My other units don't give me this trouble.
If I find a solution I will share it because it will probably help a Husky trimmer too......

Stillwater
12-23-2007, 04:49 AM
The reason this heavy black oil is migrating through your expansion chamber and into the muff is because the engine is not tuned properly. Your carb may be set to rich causing reduced exhaust port temperatures. When exhaust port temperatures are too low, the spent oil does not turn into carbon smoke vapor. Reduce the main jet air flow and this problem will go away. start with small adjustments like 1/8 turn, what ever you do do not reduce the amount of oil in the mix to correct the problem. remove the muff and soak in Amsoil power foam to get that spark arrester clean.

If you wait to clean or don't have a clean muff to start with it is hard to determin if your small carb adjustment corrected the issue or not so it is best to start with a clean and oil free muff and go from their.