PDA

View Full Version : for all you with pick up trucks

birdturd9726
12-22-2007, 12:44 PM
this is to everyone with a pickup truck. how do you do leaves in the fall. I have an F-150 short bed and it is too small to box the back and do leaves. do you have a long bed and do leaves or a separate dump truck. What type of truck is most versicle. What suspension should i need and should i get a pickup and box it, a dump truck or a pickup with a dump insert. im kind of confused on this.

deere615
12-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Barrels in the truck or a big tarp in the truck work, maybe a small dump trailer wouldn't be a bad idea for you.

cantoo
12-22-2007, 05:35 PM
1 ton truck with flatbed and hoist. Search my user name and you will find pics of my stuff. My wife runs ours so it's as easy as can be. Front mounted is the way to go.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=206267

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
12-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I partition off my enclosed trailer and add 6'' pvc to my billy goat yard vac and use it as a loader to put the leaves in my trailer....its slower than a regular loader, but being my second year full time it works for now....its also paid for!...no payment books here!:)

MJS
12-22-2007, 07:53 PM
My bed is only 6 1/2 ft., so for now I use tarps. I can't build a box either; I wouldn't be able to haul equipment around. A dump trailer would be nice. . .

Dunlaps LawnCare
12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
rack and blow them on a tarp and threw them in my truck and trailler

cantoo
12-22-2007, 10:26 PM
If you look closely at my truck you will see that the box is separate from the bed. It is 6'6" wide x8' long and 6' high but no floor. It is held in place with tie straps. I can take it off in under 5 minutes. Going back on take about 15 minutes to load and to fasten the straps. The loader and pipe stay in place where they are.

deere615
12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I partition off my enclosed trailer and add 6'' pvc to my billy goat yard vac and use it as a loader to put the leaves in my trailer....its slower than a regular loader, but being my second year full time it works for now....its also paid for!...no payment books here!:)

Do you have any pictures of that, it sounds pretty neat?

JRS Landscaping
12-23-2007, 09:46 PM
i have about 40" high sides on my ford f250 shortbed pickup with doors on the back and i use my loader to blow the leaves in, it works great.

J&R Landscaping
12-23-2007, 09:56 PM
I have an 06 f250 reg cab long bed. I built a leaf box for my truck loader this fall. 4' tall by 8' plywood for the sides. 4' tall by 70" for the cab side or front of the box. 35" for each of the 2 barn doors in the rear. (I built it just like a Landscape dump body with a 3 way tailgate system.)
Just a tarp for the roof. All worked fairly well. Cost less then $250 in materials and took about 6-8 hours (though I did it here and there) to construct.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-23-2007, 10:00 PM

that sure is a neat idea! just unloading my 24' trailer would suck at the end.

supercuts
12-24-2007, 08:29 AM
wow, im shocked at the time involved with most of these responces and wonder how these guys make any money at all. as far as your question, if you cant afford a separate dump you need to use your truck or trailer. if it doesnt dump i wouldnt even consider doing them, find someone to work with and pic them up, ad that to the price. if not, around here there is enough work, turn down any that you cant blow them into the woods, you'll make much more $/hr.

as far as the truck. a good 3/4-1 ton pickup with an ez dump will work good but not great. much better than putting them in your enclosed trailer and shoveling them out??? the stock suspension on one should be blenty, obviously a one ton dually would be best for a larger bed/box and a heavier load of wet leaves