PDA

View Full Version : Stake body dumps...

oOTurfmanoO
12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Ok, 3 part question here:

- What keeps the racks on when you dump or is this not an issue?

- I have seen pics. of a similar stake body dump truck w/ ~2" pvc pipes on end (in the dump bed, closer to the cab) for hand tools such as rakes, etc. What keeps these secure when dumping?

- Has any1 or does any1 have a "shelf/rack above the cab for something like wheel barrow storage? If so so, was it a custom job or installed from a dealer?

Gravel Rat
12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
You can always pin the stake sides to the stake pockets on the truck. Make the stakes extend a little lower through the stake hole put a pin in the bottom.

Breezmister
12-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Ok, 3 part question here:
- What keeps the racks on when you dump or is this not an issue?

Back in the day I drove a 79 F 600 stake body dump, the cribs where held in with " J " bolts. The bolts would go in up side down threw the up right and would hold the up right down, the bolt passed threw a hole in the bed and was tightened down with a nut.
On the newer landscaper bodies, there is a pin and latch system that you need a 5/16 square key to unlock. All you have to do is rotate the latch 180 degrees to retract the pins to remove the cribs. Now this was on a ABC body and I don't know if other manufactures do it like this. I do know that some cribs are welded on and can not be removed on other body styles.

- Has any1 or does any1 have a "shelf/rack above the cab for something like wheel barrow storage? If so so, was it a custom job

That over hang come with some body styles, I see alot of TGLC trucks with that style landscaper bodies. Google American Body Company or Legget and Pratt and see what they have to offer

BCF
12-25-2007, 06:50 PM
On my Reading dump, the stakes have a spring loaded "finger " that locks in from the bottom, with a button to unlock. Those cab protectors can be orderes with the body or made, and the PVC needs either to be bolted to the bulkhead/stakes, or ring clamped. Another option is to use pieces of metal pipe and weld them in place.

oOTurfmanoO
12-26-2007, 05:42 PM
On my Reading dump, the stakes have a spring loaded "finger " that locks in from the bottom, with a button to unlock. Those cab protectors can be orderes with the body or made, and the PVC needs either to be bolted to the bulkhead/stakes, or ring clamped. Another option is to use pieces of metal pipe and weld them in place.

Ot's not the PVC that I am worried about keeping in place, it's the tool(s) they are holding.

For example, work, work, work, now time to dump!
You have misc. shovels,rakes,etc. in your 2"-4" pvc holders. How are these misc. tools secured when you dump?

BCF
01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Well I had the bulkhead framed on the front to not have the tools in the bed, but the dump doesn't even go 90 degrees, so unless the tool is super top heavy, ti shouldn't have a problem staying in the holder. IF so, maybe a bungee cord, rope, or ratchet strap from the bulkhead around the tools, then back to the bulkhead.

CNYScapes
01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
We dump all the time with tools in the pvc pipes and they never fall out