PDA

View Full Version : Help For Trailer!!!

APV's Mowing
12-24-2007, 02:30 AM
This comming up summer will be my second year in the business, and I have been working out of the bed of my 2007 Nissan Frontier. I am looking for a trailer for this comming up summer, and i dont know much about them, price, what size to get, and what kind of sides, accessories, ect. i should get for it.
I will need room for 2 21" toro trim mowers, and a 32-36" WB Scagg this year, and room for an additional 32" or 36" Scagg WB or Rider in the future. I will be putting a truck box in the bed, and will be putting my trimmers, and blowers in the bed of the pickup. So i guess im asking, How big of a traiter should i get, what something like that would cost, and any other suggestions would be great!

Military Lawns
12-24-2007, 05:56 AM
I would recommend getting a 6 x 12 or a 7 x 14 dual axle trailer. The reason is that you can grow into it. These trailers will run you from $1500 to $2500 dollars depending on all the bells and whistles (trimmer racks, etc) you get.

Merry Christmas,

DJ-

matergalc
12-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I would say get atleast a 7x12! Put some racks on it that will get every thing out of your truck so you have room for your personal things! I built mine not fancy but works! Yea get a wide trailer, I bought a 5x10 and now its to small!!!!

DFLS
12-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I went from 5x8 to 7x16 in my first year. Still needed more room especially in spring now have a 8x24 enclosed ready to try.

APV's Mowing
12-25-2007, 02:28 AM
thank you for all of your replys, ill start looking at a 6x8 or 6x12, and to answer your question Tadums yes i have pulled a trailer, and no i have not backed one up before, but i plan on spending alot of time practiceing backing it up ect., so from everything that u guys have said, its going to be around 1,000-2,000 new depending on the bells and whistles i get, and i dont plan on buying used.

matergalc
12-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Yes go ahead and spend the money now and get it right! You will be pleased! LIKE I SAID GET THE RACKS YOU WILL BE GLAD when you dont have to take everything out to use your truck then come home and put it all back in for tomorrow!!

Exact Rototilling
12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
APV Mowing,

What is the towing rating on your Nissan?

Are you willing to upgrade your truck to tow a bigger trailer?

A 6 x 12 single axle is the bare minimum. If it's a tandem axle you are chewing through a fair amount of trailer empty weight to get the extra capacity which will reduce what you can haul?

My approach is a bit different. I have a Toyota 4x4 with a 100+ hp 4 banger. My back up tow rig is a 91 4runner with a V6 140 hp+. Neither rig is a tow master of any sorts. I will be getting a 6 x 12 or 6 x 14 enclosed trailer with rear ramp and side door. I will not be able to upgrade to ZTR riding mowers until I get a bigger tow vehicle and yes yet another bigger trailer. My tow rigs are too weak to be towing tandem axle trailers. Tandem axle plus bare minimum of equipment weight easily exceeds rated tow capacity. My aprox loaded trailer weight will be around 2200 to 2400 max. Single axle trailer such as these gross out at 2990 some singles are rated at 3500.

If cash flow, accounts and income warrant a better truck I will upgrade for the 2009 - 2010 season. I'm completely unwilling to jump into a pile of debt to buy a bigger truck while still growing my business which is just shy of full time during the growing season.

For 2008 season I'm looking to maximize my income potential with niche services and basically tolerate the smaller trailer.

YMMV

Petr51488
12-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I would say 6x12. The 7 footer would be wider than your truck. I still have my 6x12 enclosed and it fits me perfectly. Go for a 6x12. Anything bigger..youll just be putting unnecessary strain on your truck.

APV's Mowing
12-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Exact Rototilling, and who ever else was talking about my truck, im not going to be upsizing any time soon, it has a V6 with 260 HP...not bad, ill be looking at my towing capacity soon, and from all of your expierances with buying trailers, would u go with open or encolsed?

APV's Mowing
12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
My truck is rated to pull 6,300 lbs, how much would a trailer with two 21's, one 32", and one 36" mowers weigh?