PDA

View Full Version : Help For Trailer!!!

APV's Mowing
12-24-2007, 02:46 AM
This comming up summer will be my second year in the business, and I have been working out of the bed of my 2007 Nissan Frontier. I am looking for a trailer for this comming up summer, and i dont know much about them, price, what size to get, and what kind of sides, accessories, ect. i should get for it.
I will need room for 2 21" toro trim mowers, and a 32-36" WB Scagg this year, and room for an additional 32" or 36" Scagg WB or Rider in the future. I will be putting a truck box in the bed, and will be putting my trimmers, and blowers in the bed of the pickup. So i guess im asking, How big of a traiter should i get, what something like that would cost, and any other suggestions would be great!

mg10117
12-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Go as big as you can afford...trust me...dont make the mistake i did, or you will be upgrading to a bigger trailer the following year and wasting a lot of money...get at the least a 6X12...I'm not sure, but they go for around $1,100-$1,200 around here...as your business grows you will fill it up really quick...if you can afford go bigger...good luck

supercuts
12-24-2007, 08:46 AM
next time ask the question in place. 6x12 will work

Stillwater
12-24-2007, 10:13 AM
6x12 or a 6x14

topsites
12-24-2007, 10:49 AM
You really do want 6x12 or 6x14.

Weight is your biggest issue, my 6x12x2 weighs at least 1,500 pounds empty.
Add a few 2 cyclers and a mower and I'm over a ton, it may not sound like a big deal but it is, double axles are even heavier.

Not sure what that truck is rated at, but I will never use less than a 3/4 ton to pull my 6x12 single axle and even then it's a bit rough on the tranny.

But a nice 6x12 with sides, $1500 ttirl and all.
You can get them for less, but having sides are nice for hauling (dirt, mulch, leaves, etc) plus with higher sides there's no law concerning securing the equipment (I just set the brake and go).

Up to you but I'd splurge, they last at least 8 years but really 10-12 years easy.
I would highly recommend new, with 1 year warranty, more so if you've never owned one but even later.

Here's a pic of mine (except this one is smaller 5x8 but notice the sides):

Tadams
12-24-2007, 01:55 PM
A 6x12 trailer will handle all of that equipment very easily. As far as price, it really depends on your area. You can find used trailers like that all day long around here for $600-$800. Have you thought of getting a trailer with an expanded metal box already on it instead of adding a tool box to the floor? Saves a lot of floor space. This may be a silly question but have you ever pulled or backed a trailer before? It's not very difficult but there is a learning curve to it.

Jay Ray
12-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I will need room for 2 21" toro trim mowers, and a 32-36" WB Scagg this year, and room for an additional 32" or 36" Scagg WB or Rider in the future.

If you stay with 36" width max on the mowers, a 5' wide single axle trailer will do. If you later change your mind up to a 48" mower, or even a 52" deck, that width of trailer will still do. You can even get a 54" on but it is tight. When you go rider you will have to be careful not to exceed GVW for the trailer.

5 x12 will save you fuel over a 6 x 12, especially a tandem axle.

Matts lawn care
12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Like others said don't get anything smaller than a 6/12 trailer.

APV's Mowing
12-25-2007, 02:01 AM
thank you for all of your replys, ill start looking at a 6x8 or 6x12, and to answer your question Tadums yes i have pulled a trailer, and no i have not backed one up before, but i plan on spending alot of time practiceing backing it up ect., so from everything that u guys have said, its going to be around 1,000-2,000 new depending on the bells and whistles i get, and i dont plan on buying used.

Stillwater
12-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Their is nothing wrong with buying used if you know what your looking at and know what to look for.

B&M
12-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Go with a 16ft trailer, you will use the space.

bigw
12-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Go with a 16ft trailer, you will use the space.

8x16 enclosed go big and be done with it,besides nothing like a moving billboard! Cant wait to pick mine up jan 2nd and then goes in for the graphics and lettering!! Ill post pics when i get it done!

APV's Mowing
12-26-2007, 05:37 PM
and just wondering my truck has 260 HP and is rated for 6,300 lbs...so do you think i would be good to pull a 5x12 or 6x12 with all of my equipment on it?

HOOLIE
12-26-2007, 11:57 PM
and just wondering my truck has 260 HP and is rated for 6,300 lbs...so do you think i would be good to pull a 5x12 or 6x12 with all of my equipment on it?

You should be fine...I assume your truck is a 6-cyl??? A 6x12 is plenty to fit 2 21's and 2 36's on. If you need to grow into a larger trailer, your first concern would be to get a bigger truck :laugh:

I would not pull an 8x16 enclosed trailer with a Nissan Frontier...

If you think you'll be going with just one 36 and the 21's for a few years, a 10foot trailer would work fine too. Even a 5x10.

I've never agreed with the 'buy the biggest trailer you can, you'll grow into it" mentality...I mean, if you're mainly doing residential mowing, how much equipment do you need to haul around on a daily basis?? You don't need some monster-long trailer to carry every conceivable deck size mower around. Trailers are not that hard to sell. They're not like vehicles where they lose their value rapidly.

MUDFLAP
12-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I think pulling a loaded 16ft tandem on a daily basis will kill the frontier, might be ok for a while until you can get a full size 3/4 ton , if its an automatic, turn off your overdrive will help the tranny live.

MUDFLAP
12-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I would get a 5x10 single, wont kill your truck, fits your needs for now, and ive never had too many trailers, even after you step up the the big rig (3/4 truck and 6x12),you will still have plenty of uses for the little guy.

Big C
12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
A 5x10 is good but for what you will pay for it , spend a few dollers more($35 in my case) and get a 5x12...thats what I did and I am glad i did it. you'll be surprised the difference 2 ft makes.....that's just my opinion.....good luck

snowjeep
12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I use a 5x12 with 2 foot sides. This way I can do mulch and top soil jobs with the same trailer. I wish I would have gone with a dual axle so I could carry more mulch and top soil. More than once this summer I had to make multiple trips. I fit a 54" ztr, 22" trim , 33" walk behind , and I still have room for 3 50 gallon garb age cans. The 5 feet wide is real nice for parking in the street since it does not stick out past the truck.

SNAPPER MAN
12-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I have a 6.5 X 12 tandam with 4 foot sides and i think its the only way to go. Since im only 14 my dad pulls it with his GMC Yukon XL and it pulls it easily. Dont be afraid to go tandam with your truck. I know a guy with a toyota tacoma that pulls a 16 ft trailer with 4 ft sides and he can load it completely with mulch and his truck still pulls it fine, it hasnt screwed up his tranny or engine. Thats just my two cents.

jaybow
12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
thank you for all of your replys, ill start looking at a 6x8 or 6x12, and to answer your question Tadums yes i have pulled a trailer, and no i have not backed one up before, but i plan on spending alot of time practiceing backing it up ect., so from everything that u guys have said, its going to be around 1,000-2,000 new depending on the bells and whistles i get, and i dont plan on buying used.

Get atleast a 6x12 maybe even a 6 or 7x14 and dual axle is better for heavier loads. You never know what you may use it for.

echeandia
12-27-2007, 07:49 PM
I used a 5 X 8 trailer last season. There were about 6 to 8 times I wished I had a larger trailer. I had the trailer before I started the business and didn't want to buy something I already had. I will be selling it soon and buying a bigger one, probably a 6 x 12 as I have to fit it into my garage. If I were you I would buy what I could afford.

travt
12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I am in my second year and am looking at enclosed trailers. I suggest that you spend the extra money and look at those. You will save yourself lots of loading and unloading time. Just an idea. Good luck with your trailer search.

Exact Rototilling
12-29-2007, 12:25 AM
I am in my second year and am looking at enclosed trailers. I suggest that you spend the extra money and look at those. You will save yourself lots of loading and unloading time. Just an idea. Good luck with your trailer search.

+1
APV Mowing,

I think the enclosed trailer is the way to go as well. You can lock it up and run a few quick errands with fewer worries about stuff going missing. Changing room if you need it. Your equipment stays out of the rain. Looks more squared away IMHO. It does have it's draw backs. I may consider an open trailer later when or if I get a larger riding mower and if I have a secured under cover place to park it when it's not being used.

I see that your tow rating is over 6,000 - not shabby at all. If you haul any trailer loaded over 2500 pounds I recommend trailer brakes.

Are you willing to upgrade your truck to tow a bigger trailer?

A 6 x 12 single axle is the bare minimum.

My approach is a bit different. I have a Toyota 4x4 with a 100+ hp 4 banger. My back up tow rig is a 91 4runner with a V6 140 hp+. Neither rig is a tow master of any sorts. I will be getting a 6 x 12 or 6 x 14 enclosed trailer with rear ramp and side door. I will not be able to upgrade to ZTR riding mowers until I get a bigger tow vehicle and yes yet another bigger trailer. My tow rigs are too weak to be towing tandem axle trailers. Tandem axle plus bare minimum of equipment weight easily exceeds rated tow capacity. My aprox loaded trailer weight will be around 2100 to 2400 max. Single axle trailer such as these gross out at 2990 some singles are rated at 3500.

If cash flow, accounts and income warrant a better truck I will upgrade for the 2009 - 2010 season. I'm completely unwilling to jump into a pile of debt to buy a bigger truck while still growing my business which is just shy of full time during the growing season.

For 2008 I'm looking to maximize my income potential with niche services and basically tolerate the smaller trailer.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Like others have said...go with a 6x12.....if you get a 5 foot wide trailer then you cant get a 60 inch mower on it....with a 6x12 you can get a walkbehind and a z on it pretty easy (11feet)

wayne

Exact Rototilling
12-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Some enclosed trailers don't have ramps that are rated for more than 1000 pounds. Also the approach angle might not work for some riding mowers. For example the Work Sport made by Pace for Home Depot is rated at 1000 ramp rating. You can buy a Pace Cargo Sport with a 2000 pound ramp rating however the total cargo capacity of the single axle Pace 6 x 12 is barely 1400-1500 pounds.

Honestly if I hade your truck, 6k tow rating and 200+ HP, I'd consider the tandem axle 7 x 14 with electric brakes.

Since my rigs are low on power & tow rating - I'm stuck with a single axle 6x12 or 6x14

As far as mower weights and trailer payload capacity go to the manufactures web site and calculate capacities etc.

shane mapes
12-29-2007, 01:58 PM
i have a 2003 frontier and i have a 6 x 12 ft. trailer with a heavy steel box on the front of the trailer .empty it weighs 1700 lbs. and full it is about 2600 lbs. or so . the truck hauls it fine . it is a 4 x 4 not a 4 x 4 . and i still have no problems .. what kind of fuel mileage di you get ?

LawnsUnlimitedatl
12-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier and I pull a 6x12 single axle with a 48 inch walkbehind, 21 trim mower,trimmer,edger,blower, and some other things(toolbox etc.) Mine pulls fine on highway and around town.

APV's Mowing
12-29-2007, 05:16 PM
yes it is a V6 and im thinkin now from reading all of this, would a 6x12 trailer double axel with 3-4 foot sides sound like a good trailer? and for something like that would it cost any more then $2,000?

APV's Mowing
12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
o ya and no i am not going to be upgrading my truck anytime soon, probably 5 or 6 years down the line depending on the growth of my buisness and how many miles i put on the truck...also remeber this is going to be my second summer mowing so im not planning on expanding too quick, and i dont plan on getting any lawn mowers over a 42" deck.

snowjeep
12-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I was not saying don't go 6ft wide I just like the 5ft for parking and fitting in my garage. My sure-line is 5x12 with 2 ft powder coated steel sides and a 5 foot gate which ran ne $1600 w/tax.

jaybow
12-30-2007, 11:07 AM
o ya and no i am not going to be upgrading my truck anytime soon, probably 5 or 6 years down the line depending on the growth of my buisness and how many miles i put on the truck...also remeber this is going to be my second summer mowing so im not planning on expanding too quick, and i dont plan on getting any lawn mowers over a 42" deck.

Hey just thought I would let you know you can design some nice signs for your trailer at buildasign.com.Their prices seem cheaper than most.

jdmcat
01-09-2008, 06:44 AM
enclosed trailers are nice cuz if you have lunch at taco bell you don't have to make that emergency trip to the gas station, just cut a hole in the lid of a 5-gallon bucket and you're good to go!:laugh:

Exact Rototilling
01-09-2008, 01:49 PM
enclosed trailers are nice cuz if you have lunch at taco bell you don't have to make that emergency trip to the gas station, just cut a hole in the lid of a 5-gallon bucket and you're good to go!:laugh:Great point I really hate having to ask to use a clients bathroom. I have a vintage folding toilet seat potty thing that will be hidden in my trailer stash along with some half gallon juice container with lids. It also allows you a place to change clothes if you need to.

mattmus4357
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
What kind of trailers are you guys buying that cost $1000-1200. I got my 16' for $975.

nickscuttingedgelawn
01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
For your trailer I recomended getting the best and biggest you can get. I started out of the back of my truck also and I bought a 7x17 ft with 2 ft sides in June and its the best thing I have ever done. It has tandom 3500lbs axles with brakes and ran me about $2000 even. Your truck should be able to pull it I think. So go all out or you will upgrade later