PDA

View Full Version : How to troubleshoot?? No 4x4

PlatinumLandCon
12-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I got stuck in the mud because my 4x4 wouldn't engage!! What's the best way to troubleshoot this problem.

Things I've done so far:
1) Checked fuse, its fine
2) Checked actuator, extends 3/4" when tested.

What else should I check?

BTW, its a 1990 K1500 Chevy 6.2 Diesel.

Thanks guys!

all ferris
12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I have had this happen b4 on a 1990 chevy 1500. My actuator worked also but it ended up being the passenger side axle was pushed out of the front differential ever so slightly. There is a clip on the axle that holds it in and the grove that it sets in on the axle was worn on my truck. I just had to get a new axle and I was back in business(about $300). Hope this helps.

PlatinumLandCon
12-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I have had this happen b4 on a 1990 chevy 1500. My actuator worked also but it ended up being the passenger side axle was pushed out of the front differential ever so slightly. There is a clip on the axle that holds it in and the grove that it sets in on the axle was worn on my truck. I just had to get a new axle and I was back in business(about $300). Hope this helps.

Is this clip within the diff or is it on the outside? Do you have any pics that could help?

Also, front driveshaft spins freely in 2WD but locks when switched to 4WD. This means the transfer case is good right?

backhoe1
12-24-2007, 04:32 PM
The clip is on the splined end of the front axle shafts. This is supposeto hold the axle into the side gear. If the axle happened to pop out it would just spin the gears because it would have less resistance on that side.

04superduty
12-24-2007, 08:36 PM
99.999999999 percent of the time with the older chevies its the actuator. you can replace them with a manual cable actuated lever, this way you know its in 4wd and dont have to wait for the actuator to warm up to enguage the front end.

PlatinumLandCon
12-24-2007, 09:10 PM
99.999999999 percent of the time with the older chevies its the actuator. you can replace them with a manual cable actuated lever, this way you know its in 4wd and dont have to wait for the actuator to warm up to enguage the front end.

When you replace it does that mean you switch the transfer case into 4WD then pull the manual actuator? Also, do you know where I can get a kit to replace the actuator with a manual version?

Thanks!

tthomass
12-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Check all connections and clips. I had one that appeared plugged together but was 1/8" apart......how the heck it happened I don't know.

PlatinumLandCon
12-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Check all connections and clips. I had one that appeared plugged together but was 1/8" apart......how the heck it happened I don't know.

That was on the '02 I assume? After I open all my presents tomorrow (I like still being a kid:clapping:) I'm going to head out to the garage and check all the electrical. I think that's what's going on because the actuator still works when tested. Also, the light for the 4x4 by the t-case shifter works when tested but not when installed.

PLEASE tell me its just a dumb connection that can be fixed easily. What a great christmas present that would be :laugh::cool2:

all ferris
12-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Is this clip within the diff or is it on the outside? Do you have any pics that could help?

Also, front driveshaft spins freely in 2WD but locks when switched to 4WD. This means the transfer case is good right?

The clip is inside the front diff. If the axle is "unclipped" you will be able to slide it out of the diff (not all the way because of the outer axle with cv joints. If this is the case, just give the axle a good push back towards the diff and it should snap back in. Check both sides of the diff.