PDA

View Full Version : How big of a hoist?

all ferris
12-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm getting a new F450 dump (12' bed) and was wondering how big of a hoist I will need. Also, keep in mind those times when you say "oops, I overloaded the truck" (not this will ever happen:usflag:). Would a 7 ton scissor hoist be enough???

bobcat_ron
12-24-2007, 04:26 PM
A 7 ton would be more than enough. It's strong enough to lift the entire truck's weight.

The only problem with Scissor lifts is the first 3 inches of travel, that's the hardest push they ever have to make.

gene gls
12-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm getting a new F450 dump (12' bed) and was wondering how big of a hoist I will need. Also, keep in mind those times when you say "oops, I overloaded the truck" (not this will ever happen:usflag:). Would a 7 ton scissor hoist be enough???

No..............Get a telescopic hoist. I have an 8 ton on my 10' bed and it won't lift 3 yards of dirt if its not mostly dumped in the back end.

bobcat_ron
12-24-2007, 10:13 PM
You need a better pump then, that's a huge problem if you can't lift that.

Gravel Rat
12-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Get a telescoping hoist those scissor hoists are heavy and underpowered. I had a F-450 with a 3 stage Del Hydraulic hoist it used to dump anything I could put in the truck. Pull the PTO and let the clutch out the truck dumped 8000lbs like nothing. The developement project I'am working on the developer has a old F-450 dump with a telescoping hoist we were putting probably 10,000lbs into it. Same thing pull the PTO let out the clutch at a idle it dumps the load like nothing.

A telescoping hoist will bend the frame of the truck before it ever powers out.

all ferris
12-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Has to be electric over hydraulic. I am not starting the truck every time I want to raise the bed to get rock to come out of the coal chute.

cantoo
12-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I've had a scissor hoist and a post hoist on 2 different trucks. Very little chance of me ever getting a scissor hoist again unless maybe on a dump trailer.
ron's right the first 3" is the killer. I used to put a 4x4 under the front of the bed to enable it to lift wet leaves. Once you got it up 6" it was no problem but the first 6" was not good.

Gravel Rat
12-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't buy a 12 volt hydraulic pump either they kill your battery and they don't have any power.