PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a skidsteer purchase

clydesdale
12-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I am considering a USED skidsteer. I need to plow 8 driveways in the same neighborhood (the machine would be located in the same neighborhood), spread soil and mulch around an estate, and would like the machine to help with general around the house tasks. THe ability to run attachments would be nice.
I have seen 463 bobcats and 753 bobcats on ebay. I have yet to see these side by side in person. But I wanted to get some thoughts. This is a case where I don't want a machine that is too big and cumbersome. I will not be working in a big material yard or plowing a parking lot. THANKS

bobcat_ron
12-25-2007, 12:23 PM
A Bobcat 753 is a tank of a small (60" wide across the width) skidsteer, they are the most popuar skid steer for the newbies out there, I had one and loved it.

cat2
12-25-2007, 12:46 PM
^^^^ what he said. i had a 753 that thing was great. then i upgraded to a 2007 -160

Dirt Digger2
12-25-2007, 12:53 PM
something not to big but very reliable would be a Case 1835 or 1840...both are relatively small and could easily do what you ask of it

clydesdale
12-25-2007, 01:23 PM
I will look into the case. How is the smaller bobcat? I think the 453 or something on those lines. Are they too small and a waste. From what I have been reading the 753 seems to be a real good basic machine. But I almost wonder if it is too big for what I need. Are the smaller, 453 type machines, a waste or simply too weak? Will they even run attachments? Thanks

bobcat_ron
12-25-2007, 01:31 PM
The 453 is okay, but if you ever run into a situation that requires loading roll off containers or small truck boxes the 453 doesn't have the lift height and it's bucket is only about 2 wheel barrows worth, a couple of overcaffeinated teen agers could move soil faster.
Any machine with a lift height of over 100 inches is what you want and over 1200 lbs of ROC is enough to lift attachments like augers and Harley rakes around and have enough oil flow.

YellowDogSVC
12-25-2007, 01:42 PM
if you can find a used 773g series you could have excellent power to weight with 56hp and if you get turbo and a cab you can plow fast and easily load trucks or roll off containers. You can pick one up pretty cheap I would assume if you can find a used one. They are fairly stable and light for the ability to load a dumptruck. They are easy to tow, too.

kreft
12-25-2007, 03:13 PM
A new holland L 160 would be the best choice

ksss
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
The 1840 is my personal favorite. I owned half a dozen of them. Good power, compact, and above all dependable. They continue to hold great resale and for good reason. I would consider this size machine if not the 1840 itself. They are a lot more flexible. I had 4 of my machines equipped with HF and ran a 73" Erskine HF blower. This is of course above its added abilities in the dirt. The specs that come to mind are 50 hp and 1400 pounds of lift, aux. flow was around 16 gpm and high flow was 30 or so as I recall.

tnmtn
12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
have you operated skid steers in the situation you are talking about. spreading topsoil and mulch on an estate sounds like operating on a nice lawn or turf. skid steers sometimes make a mess in that situation. as far as needing to run attachments, they can be run from diffrent machines as well. may want to consider a small tractor or small track loader as well in your shopping. from what you are describing a skid steer on tires wouldn't be my first choice.
good luck,

YellowDogSVC
12-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Seems like the opinions run the whole spectrum. I think any machine that was well taken care of and has excellent dealer service near you would be a fine choice in reality. I like Bobcats but I think the majors are all probably on the same page. Comes down to what is comfortable, what you can afford, and at least for me, how good your dealer support is because skids can be difficult to work on some components.

tallrick
12-26-2007, 01:11 AM
If this is for plowing driveways and on an estate I would go with the 753. I know how good a 743 can be for larger yards, and around the home use as that's what a friend had. For those sensitive lawns try and get yourself a worn out set of rubberband tracks. On a lawn you could also use extra wide sand tires worn down to nothing to avoid damage. The 400 series machine is only good for those extra-tight areas where you don't mind spending extra time to move dirt. Believe it or not, those small bobcats will do a lot of damage to a lawn. In my own yard I use an M-610 and it's narrow enough to fit on a sidewalk. As long as both sides of the wheels are turning in the same direction while turning the machine, you won't do much damage. If one side is stopped or turnig opposite to the other, you will leave tracks behind. Any skid steer will leave scuffs on concrete, but I doubt it would while clearing snow.