PDA

View Full Version : Slow reacting hydros on TTHP

2k1yzfr1
12-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a couple year old 36" Exmark TTHP that I purchased a few months ago with very low hours (under 50). I also have a 48" TTHP with probably over 1000 hours......my problem is the hydros on the 36" seem to be very slow reacting almost like the hydro oil isn't the right vescosity. Whenever the mower is cold the mower doesn't seem to want to move whenever you let off the handles. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

texpro
12-25-2007, 04:21 PM
check the pump release under the pumps used to start when the mower is cold sometimes mine dont reingage fully when they get used if not that change the fluid and filter mobil 5w20 and u can get the filter at walmart the filter is the hydro drain plug if that does not fix it could be the pumps the hydro moters hardley ever go bat good luck i hope this helps

Restrorob
12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Check the hydro belt for dry rot/cracking/glazing and proper tension adjustment.

topsites
12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I'd be for changing the fluid (and filter if it has) just to eliminate all of that from the equation and get it on schedule, then take it from there. Might not fix your problem, but it's one less possibility.

2k1yzfr1
12-27-2007, 02:13 AM
I have never disengaged the hydro pumps using the chain, but I'll check and make sure that it is fully engaged. I doubt that the belt has much if any wear with the amount of hours that are on the machine. Does the drive belt use a spring for tension or is it manually adjusted?

topsites
12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I have never disengaged the hydro pumps using the chain, but I'll check and make sure that it is fully engaged. I doubt that the belt has much if any wear with the amount of hours that are on the machine. Does the drive belt use a spring for tension or is it manually adjusted?

That I don't know, but check the owner's manual.

ed2hess
12-27-2007, 10:13 PM
check the pump release under the pumps used to start when the mower is cold sometimes mine dont reingage fully when they get used if not that change the fluid and filter mobil 5w20 and u can get the filter at walmart the filter is the hydro drain plug if that does not fix it could be the pumps the hydro moters hardley ever go bat good luck i hope this helps

Might want to be sure you get a good quality filter........I wan't aware that Walmat would have different micron size filters.

sawman65
12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
this is a common problem on those cold start units.seems that no one ever greases that fitting under there on the hydro belt idler arm. pull the arm off clean the bushings and then give it a try.

bigmower1
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Chances are since you bought it used, the other owner might have put the wrong oil in it. On the older hydro systems you should use 10w 30 oil and make sure you change the filter too with a hydro one not an oil filter because the microns are different in them. Also make sure that there are no kinks in any of the lines or leaks. First check to make sure that the valves on the pumps are fully on.

2k1yzfr1
01-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Well for some reason the belt that drives the hydros is a ribbed belt. I don't know who would have put that belt on there considering the mower has less than 50 hours on it? :confused:

bigmower1
01-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Was the belt slipping then?

2k1yzfr1
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm assuming.....I'm not sure why a cogged style belt would be on a smooth pulley though? As soon as the weather warms up a little I'm going to replace the belt and hopefully fix the problem.

sawman65
01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
the ribed belt is oem thats what comes on it.i have put solid belts on them and they work just fine also