PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Diesel

Johnson LCO
12-25-2007, 09:48 PM
I am in no way mechanically inclined so I need some help and I will try to explain this as thoroughly as possible. My 2000 ford f350 diesel has had a slow diesel leak that is a drop every 20 minutes when sitting and constantly drips when running. It looks to be coming from some overflow valve on the passengers side of the truck near the engine. A friend called it an overflow valve, but in actuality it is a small tube about a quarter inch in diameter that is connected to nothing. I am curious as to what this is, as I do not want to get ripped off by a mechanic. I am taking the truck to my local Ford dealership to get the recalled sensor taken care of anyway but if it is an easy fix I would rather do it myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

General Grounds
12-25-2007, 10:02 PM
not sure if that truck is equipt. w/ a water seperator but if the tube is only attached at one end and ithe open end is leaking fluid than chances are that it is a over flow of some sort.

Johnson LCO
12-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I saw a thread on another site that something like this might be caused by a bad gasket that causes fuel to leak into a water outlet...but this might or might not be the problem. If someone knows, please tell me.

BrandonV
12-26-2007, 08:34 AM
just something you might want to look into is with this new diesel fuel, a bunch of our fords have had fuel line gaskets get eaten up by it and start leaking. just something to look into, once we put on the new gaskets problem solved.

TXNSLighting
12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
your problem is most likely the petcock. which is the fuel/water seperator valve. replace that and it should go away. this prob is caused by the wonderful ULSD, and affecting most diesels. except for the new ones.

Turf Dawg
12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Have a 99 that did the same thing. It was the valve on the rear of the filter for the water seperator [little yellow lever]. The mechanic said they went out alot after they were older. I replaced mine myself , but it was hard to get to.

BrandonV
12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
i've had so far... 1 99 f350, 1 97 f450, 1 97 f350, 1 99 fl60, and a 99 diesel suburban go out. irritating

Johnson LCO
12-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Anyone know how much it costs to replace this valve at a dealership? I am wrestling with the idea of trying to do it myself vs getting it done at the dealership with the camshaft sensor replacement. Any opinions? Thanks.

Turf Dawg
12-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I am not sure what the price of the valve was , know it was under100 think about 65. It took me under 1hr to replace myself. I figure the dealer should take around 30min. This would put the cost around 150. This is just what I figure thought.

TXNSLighting
12-26-2007, 05:53 PM
do it yourself. so much cheaper. i did it in about 30 min... the dealer will prob want 200 or so. and 90 to diagnose! its a very easy change!

supercuts
12-26-2007, 06:32 PM
mine did it too, the best thing to do, and you should anyway, is open and close that valve every so often, it lets the water out and keeps the gasket from going bad. also, by not doing it, the water builds up, freezes, and cracks it, so you'll have to replace it then too. so do yourself the favor and crack the valve open once in a while. nothing worse then smelling that $3.65 a galon diesel all the time.

Johnson LCO
12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I ordered the part today and hopefully I can repair it myself. BTW Texas, I like your new avatar.

TXNSLighting
12-27-2007, 09:20 AM
hey thanks!! i do to! let us know how it goes when you get it. i believe its a 10mm torqs bolt. theres just 4. its the star one. i always forget the name...