PDA

View Full Version : Hydro filters?

Tharrell
12-26-2007, 06:22 AM
I thought of something while reading another thread and instead of hijacking it, I decided to start this one.
I recently had to change the hydro fluid in my Lesco 52" walkbehind. The shop changed the filter and filled it with synthetic fluid. I noticed the machine was more responsive after that particularly in reverse.
My question is, do hydro filters clog or restrict the flow over time?
The machine had plenty of fluid before the change. Tony

topsites
12-26-2007, 12:24 PM
hmmm that raises some interesting questions for my own machine, but to answer the question, if they put a filter on it they put it there for a reason, and for this reason over time it will clog, absolutely. Now as for flow restriction, that would depend on if the filter has (or not) a flow bypass valve, so 50-50 it's just as likely the fluid change itself did it, but still it has to be replaced.

Happy Frog
12-26-2007, 01:23 PM
You have to make sure the filter(s) and new fluid have the same specifications as the old ones. Some filters are better quality and a higher flow than others.
And yes, filters tend to clog over time (same as fuel filters).

Tharrell
12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Navarre? The other end of P'cola beach? I lived on Via Deluna for a long time. How do you put up with the traffic and touristas? I'm glad I missed the hurricanes too. Tony

Breezmister
12-26-2007, 11:04 PM
My question is, do hydro filters clog or restrict the flow over time?
The machine had plenty of fluid before the change. Tony

Yes, but... A hydro system is a "closed" system, which means the only way to get dirt into it is from the filler tube at the tank. The point of the filter is to stop the wear and tear of the metal parts of the pump and wheel motor from recirculating back in to the system and causing more damage.
With a gas or diesel engine, you have the wear of metal and with combustion, contaminants that can and do get pass the rings.
Now, the funny part, Depending on who you talk to..

1 The system should never need to be changed unless you have a problem.
2 The system should be charged every year.

Hope that helped :)

treemonkey
12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but here goes. At another forum, a guy was looking to find a generic hydro filter for his Scag to save dealer cost ($25 +/-). A direct cross over could not be found with any of the filter manufacturers (Wix, Puralator, Champion).

A bit of cross referencing came up with some "will fit" replacements, but they (including WIX) had a 25 micron rating while the Scag advertises a 10 micron filtering level.

Is it possible that the 25 micron filter would flow better? But, it would allow larger particle to pass by and might compromise your system.

As above, check what filter was used as a replacement.

Breezmister
12-28-2007, 11:20 PM
A bit of cross referencing came up with some "will fit" replacements, but they (including WIX) had a 25 micron rating while the Scag advertises a 10 micron filtering level.
Is it possible that the 25 micron filter would flow better? But, it would allow larger particle to pass by and might compromise your system.

Look at it this way, with a 25 micron filter, anything smaller then 25 microns will get by until the filter is "filled" to the point of restriction. That might be good for a car or small equipment engine. Where as a 10 micron filter, only "dirt" smaller then 10 microns gets by. One micron is 1 millionth of a millimeter if I remember correctly.
So yea, a 25 micron filter would flow better, but you are letting 15 more microns of trash get by the will wear out your pumps and wheel motors that much faster then a 10 micron filter would.
And for what it is worth, I've seen 2 after marker hydro filters burst, one was a Fram and the other was a no name. With the cost of pumps and wheel motors, I'd use the OEM filters....:rolleyes:

Happy Frog
12-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Navarre? The other end of P'cola beach? I lived on Via Deluna for a long time. How do you put up with the traffic and touristas? I'm glad I missed the hurricanes too. Tony

Actually, traffic isn't bad at all compared to big cities and there are not as many hurricanes hitting our coast as the news would make you believe...

grass_cuttin_fool
12-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I wouldnt say its dirty but more of........the older filter is more saturated with oil and maybe not as fast a flowing as the new one for a bit....I dont know how to explian it but Ive noticed it over the years

wayne