PDA

View Full Version : Lights Down

christmas79
12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Started taking down lights today anyone else start?

MRXMAS
12-29-2007, 03:38 AM
I try to never take lights down before mid january. This give myself some family time and time to recoup. We still manage to get nearly everything down by Feb. 1st.

David Gretzmier
01-01-2008, 12:58 AM
we take some down the 26th-30th, some today, none on the 1st, hit it hard from 2nd to 31st. last year it took us til the 8th of Feb. added 40 jobs this year, so added help and better weather should help get us done by 31st of jan. Happy new year !dave g

TPnTX
01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
any tips on taking them down?

For example do you remove all c7/c9's ? either before or after you take down the stringers.

Do you use some kind of spool or method to coil them up.

My guess is you carefully gett the stringers to the ground, then remove tabs and bulbs.

I've been wrong before though.

turf hokie
01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Why remove the bulbs and tabs from the stringer only to put them back on next year?

TPnTX
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
as far as the tabs - because they create so much of a snag or hook. Seems it would make a tangled mess.

the bulbs, I don't know thats why I'm asking? Just trying not to make mistakes others have made.

again, been wrong before many times.

turf hokie
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
If you wrap them properly they will store easily with the tabs and the lights on them. There are right and wrong ways to do this as they will tangle if you dont wrap them a certain way.

Explaining how to do this without a pic is a little difficult. Basically we start at one end of the string and put one bulb and one down while holding the space on the stringer in the middle. We use electrical tape in the middle to hold them and to keep them from getting out of whack.

If that doesnt make sense I will try to get a pic ASAP.

We prep all of our lights in 25 foot lengths prior to the season to speed installs along also. This way the crews do not waste time "prepping" when they should be installing.

David Gretzmier
01-07-2008, 05:08 AM
we leave all clips and bulbs in. If the clips fall off , I consider them too weak for next year anyway. we build spools out of an 8 foot 2x4 and 6 screws. costs about 2 bucks in materials. cut 5 19" pieces or so, use a router to cut out 3/4 inch deep by 3 and 1/2 inches wide notch in the middle of 4, and assemble with an x on bottom and top and 1 piece for your spindle. Takes about one day for one guy to make about 20 or so. it stores sitting up and you can stack one on top if you wish. one spool can hold about 200 feet, and usually one house can be done with one or 2 spools. the x's on the end provide an excellent space to write or draw instructions on how to put them back up. we usually just go from one end of the house to the other in a run.
good luck. we've gotten about 30 jobs down at this point, 140 more to go.

colawn
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
do you guys have any pics of these ideas? It is always much easier for me to understand with visuals. I am looking for a better way to do it.