PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Rotating Laser kit

Fieldman12
12-26-2007, 10:55 PM
My girlfriend bought me the Rotating laser kit Dw073kd for Christmas. :) I went today and purchased the tripod and grade rod for it. I have had to take two of the laser kits back. The first kit one of the plastic knobs crumbled in my hand and the second one straight out of the box had hardly any of the fluid in one of the eye level bubbles. Now I know it is no Topcon by any means but I expected better quality from Dewalt. Anyone else have this kit and have had any issues? A friend of mine has I think the same kit with no issues. I did notice I think part of the problem is the case does not really hold the receiver or anything else very secure. Most of the stuff just floats around in the case.

Scag48
12-26-2007, 11:13 PM
We had a cheap RoboToolz laser, can't remember for the life of me who makes it, I'll remember. Anyway, it was a pretty cheap setup but it worked. We now have a Trimble laser system that's way nice, but the cheap lasers will get the job done. Like you say, the only sacrifice with the cheaper ones is build quality.

YellowDogSVC
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
My girlfriend bought me the Rotating laser kit Dw073kd for Christmas. :) I went today and purchased the tripod and grade rod for it. I have had to take two of the laser kits back. The first kit one of the plastic knobs crumbled in my hand and the second one straight out of the box had hardly any of the fluid in one of the eye level bubbles. Now I know it is no Topcon by any means but I expected better quality from Dewalt. Anyone else have this kit and have had any issues? A friend of mine has I think the same kit with no issues. I did notice I think part of the problem is the case does not really hold the receiver or anything else very secure. Most of the stuff just floats around in the case.

sounds like you have a damaged unit. I have one of the earliest ones from about 4 years ago and it is great and I just recently had to get a new battery for it. Not sure if the model number is the same but mine was the 18v with the two adjustment knobs, tripod, and rod and receiver.

wanabe
12-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Not trying to tell you what to do, but buying a laser is not the place to save money. We have a cheep POS of work that is not self leveling. Takes for ever to set up, and then the wind blows and it is off again. Next problem is that it eats batteries like none other. And it is not accurate. I have a Topcon with the slope feature, and it is set up for machine control. Yes, it cost a little more, but it is the last one I will buy. They have a nice unit that is about $650 with the tripod and grade rod if you are interested.

Fieldman12
12-26-2007, 11:42 PM
YellowDog, it sounds like you have the same one. I guess I just got two bad ones and the 3rd time is the charm. I did set it up late tonight and mess with it a bit. It seems to work fine. Wanabe, I would love to have a Topcon, but at this time and since my business is small I think this will be okay. Maybe down the road when I have more money flowing I will sell this unit for what I can get out of it and step up to one of the big names such as Topcon or Trimble. As for the Robotoolz I have one that a buddy gave me that is not very old. Something is screwed up with the automatic leveling. I tried adjusting it but had no luck. Anyone know how much it is to get one of these fixed? I tried the manual adjusting screws and had no luck. I might have it fixed for a backup.

mverick
12-26-2007, 11:53 PM
I have the dewalt 77. No problems and I like it... Had if for a year or two. Don't remember.

YellowDogSVC
12-27-2007, 12:04 AM
YellowDog, it sounds like you have the same one. I guess I just got two bad ones and the 3rd time is the charm. I did set it up late tonight and mess with it a bit. It seems to work fine. Wanabe, I would love to have a Topcon, but at this time and since my business is small I think this will be okay. Maybe down the road when I have more money flowing I will sell this unit for what I can get out of it and step up to one of the big names such as Topcon or Trimble. As for the Robotoolz I have one that a buddy gave me that is not very old. Something is screwed up with the automatic leveling. I tried adjusting it but had no luck. Anyone know how much it is to get one of these fixed? I tried the manual adjusting screws and had no luck. I might have it fixed for a backup.

not sure on repairs. I guess it wouldn't be that bad at an authorized dewalt place. I bet they just swap parts.

Construct'O
12-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Well !!!!!!!!! Better think about this.That isn't any old laser! that was a gift! from your girlfriend.

You better at least show her what the problem was at least.When it is a gift it makes it tuffer.

Hopefully you have got one that will be okay.Is a little scary you had to go through three right off the go.

My next laser (probably won't happen) but if i did would be Trimble dual grade.I think the model is 727,is late so not going to look it up.Ebay this time of the year has some real deals on lasers.Slow time for construction and guys needing fast cash.

They sure don't bring much for as much as they cost new.Good luck:usflag:

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING
12-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Lazer Plane The Only Way To Go!!

Scag48
12-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Porter Cable makes RoboToolz stuff, I knew I'd remember eventually. I think the laser, tripod, case, and reciever were like $550 a few years back, not a bad deal. Trimble, Leica, David White, Topcon, Apache are about as good as it gets. I'd say a good majority of guys are using Trimble and Topcon, I know that I won't use anything else now. $1500 for a decent laser system is only a small drop in the bucket compared to how much $$$ that system can generate or save labor costs. Most of the cheaper lasers will get the job done, but if you're putting a reciever on a machine to either manually control grade changes or the system is automatically adjusting grade control for the operator on dozers/graders/scrapers, spending more money initially on the system is like an insurance policy. Once you're at that level, buying the bottom end isn't recommended, accuracy counts.

backhoe1
12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I've had the DeWalt DW073 for about a year now and Love it. It's so nice to not haveto worry about batteries, just grab off the charger and you're good to go. No more running to the c-store for over priced batts!

Fieldman12
12-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Sounds like most of you that have the Dewalt lasers have had good luck with them. So how often do you guys check to make sure your Laser is calibrated properly? Mine is suppose to be within a 1/4" in a 100' foot area. That of course means the laser would be setup in the center of that around the 50' marker. I was messing with it earlier and it looked like it was off about a 1/2" in a 100' area. It was getting cold though so did not try to set it up again to verify I was correct. It says once I take the first set of readings to rotate the laser on the tripod 180 degress and then dial in if needed and see how close those readings are to the first set of readings. a half inch sound like a good bit to be off to me.

Construct'O
12-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Sounds like most of you that have the Dewalt lasers have had good luck with them. So how often do you guys check to make sure your Laser is calibrated properly? Mine is suppose to be within a 1/4" in a 100' foot area. That of course means the laser would be setup in the center of that around the 50' marker. I was messing with it earlier and it looked like it was off about a 1/2" in a 100' area. It was getting cold though so did not try to set it up again to verify I was correct. It says once I take the first set of readings to rotate the laser on the tripod 180 degress and then dial in if needed and see how close those readings are to the first set of readings. a half inch sound like a good bit to be off to me.

I'm thinking if you just went out an set it up,was it on level site to start with.And was everything plum.If not when you rotated the laser if not plum and had to adjust it then you was off because of the angle of the insturment.

Mine you adjust at the bottom,if that is unlevel then you adjust it where it is mounted to the top of the tripod.The adjutment to the tripod would have to the same both direction.

Like with the old levels.Once adjusted you could trun the top of the level,but the bottom stayed where mounted,not the whole insturment.

Where as anyway my laser it doesn't turn or rotate without unscrewing the laser at the base.Then turn.Then you adjuster won't be the same.

Someone else correct me if i'm thinking wrong.

Fieldman12
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Well I checked it once in the yard and figured it was mving in the grass so took it into the smaller barn on concrete. I firt leveled the tripod by putting a level on top of it in both directions. I then placed the laser on it and leveled it. After I had my first marks I rotated the laser 180 degress. This was in the small 45 foot barn and came up with a 1/4" off.

Fieldman12
12-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I just found the following on the internet that is similar to how dewalt says to check the laser. Only thing different that I see is the link below is much more descriptive about the marks. If I am reading it correctly it says to take the Y- and Y+ number and figure in the center of those two is perfectly level. So in my case since there was a 1/4" between the Y- and Y+ that means that each would be 1/8" between perfectly level. This would then put me in tolerance as the machine states. The manual just states that what ever amoun between Y- and Y+ is how much your off. Am I reading that correctly?

http://www.proshotlaser.com/calibrat.htm