PDA

View Full Version : Barn Sliding doors

Fieldman12
12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Anyone out there make something that you can put below the doors where they close together that would keep the doors from getting blown in and out? I know they make several different styles that will secure the doors at the bottom but we would like something that you do not have to worry about running over that is either removeable each time you open the door or designed so it can be run over and not break.

Fieldman12
12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
We may have to fabricate something on our own but figured surely they make something.

Scag48
12-26-2007, 11:17 PM
My grandpa mades some for our shop about 10 years ago. We have a concrete slab floor, so he bolted them right to the floor. Anyway, he essentially made 2 little speedbumps, curved exactly like speed bumps. You can drive over them no problem and the doors can't swing. We have one on each door, so it's single sided.

Blyth
12-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I am not the best at explaining so bare with me. Can you take a piece of pipe and drive it in the ground just inside or on the outside of the door when it is closed, and then attach a piece of rebar that will fit inside of that pipe to the door so that it slides up and down and when the door is closed you can slide the rebar(or whatever you use) down into the pipe that is in the ground, thus keeping the door from blowing in and out? That is basically what I did on a privacy fence double gate. Your version might have to be beefed up a bit. Hope it helps.

wanabe
12-26-2007, 11:36 PM
You need to go and get a cain bolt for each door. Ask your builder or lumber yard for a couple. No concrete is needed, just drive a section of 1 inch pipe in the ground, and attach the cain bolt to the lower 2x6 of your door.

Fieldman12
12-26-2007, 11:46 PM
We have the cain bolt setup now but the wind has been so bad latley that it is bending the rod. We have thought about beefing it up with a heavier rod but figured it may then rip the screws clean out of the wood where the cain bolt holder fastens to the door. We have a dirt floor with gravel on top.

wanabe
12-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Well that is strange. How big is the air gap under the door? I think it needs to be 1'' or less for the cain bolt to work. how big of a door are we talking. We use them on 2 15' sliders(30 foot opening) and have never had the bolt bend. Post a pic if you can and I will try to figure out what is wrong.

Construct'O
12-27-2007, 03:04 PM
We have the cain bolt setup now but the wind has been so bad latley that it is bending the rod. We have thought about beefing it up with a heavier rod but figured it may then rip the screws clean out of the wood where the cain bolt holder fastens to the door. We have a dirt floor with gravel on top.

Bettter get trees planted Spruce,etc. for your wind break!!!!! Good luck:usflag:

SiteSolutions
12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
A few tons of hot mix asphalt would do it. Make a ramp up on either side of the doors, leaving a channel wide enough for the doors to slide along. You could use scrap 2x lumber to form the channel. You can make the ramps with a shovel and rake, and compact it with anything heavy, even walking on it or driving across it with your truck or tractor once it has cooled slightly.

I would dig it out a couple inches, to give the asphalt something to anchor to. (Just a 3' wide strip the length of the opening might get pushed around if you just lay it down atop loose gravel.)

If you didn't want to go full width, you could just do a two foot wide "ant hill" where the doors meet, leaving the channel in the middle.

Fieldman12
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
There is probably two to three inches under the door. We already thought about raising the floor a bit but really dont want to do that. It is two 15' sliders that we have up. Im thinking about putting a square metal tubing in the ground with another piece that slides inside of it that has a head welded on so the channel of the doors can slide in it.The tubing with the head could be pulled out of the bigger tubing in a half a second once the doors are opened back up. Dont really want to plant trees in front of the doors because its part of the field for crops but that is a good idea. Had thought about a channel but ruled that idea out.

wanabe
12-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Just another thought, but you have 2 cain bolts(one in the middle of the door, and one on the end) on each door right? I have seen the tubing trick, but I don't think it is necessary. Just something else to remove/replace or back over. We have never had a issue using 2 cain bolts per door, and the doors face the west and take all the wind.

Fieldman12
12-27-2007, 10:39 PM
We have only one cane bolt now. It is at the center of the doors (connected to one door) and the other door fits in the lip of the other door. We have already considered adding at least one more cain bolt. I dont know why the builders did not come up with a better idea than this. I would think four cain bolts would probably work or at least I hope they would.

RockSet N' Grade
12-27-2007, 11:15 PM
We have, on a regular basis, winds of 60-85 mph here. I have two barns set up like this. Wind latch on each jamb.....one per door and a cane bolt for each door with double reinforcement holders top and bottom. Been just fine for 12 years running.....and when I left the barns this evening, they are still there........getting a little nippy though - got down to 9 last night.

wanabe
12-28-2007, 12:37 AM
One cain bolt will not work, that is your problem. There should be one in the very center of each door, and one on the end of both doors where they meet. Along with a latch on each door on the post end. And the reason they did not put them all in is to save money. I have seen this before, and this is not a spot to save a few $!