PDA

View Full Version : Holly Trees

fordnut
12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey everyone, hope you had a good Christmas.
I have a commercial account that has holly trees on each side of a drive. They look more like bushes but anyway, the ones on one side are much taller and fuller than the ones on the other side. Can I top the tall ones and shape them to look like the other side.Is this the right time of year to do this. I don't want to kill them....Thanks

Whitey4
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
What type of Holly, do you know?

In general, Hollies are specimen plants/shrubs/trees. When used as a hedge, and I love using them that way, definitely top it at the height you want it to remain at. If they haven't been topped yet, they should have a pyramid type shape, much like a pine tree. Cut the main trunk about 6" below the desired permanent height. They will fill in at the lower levels nicely.

Unlike privets, hollies don't need much hand pruning to keep air circulation and sunlight penetrating the outer canopy, they won't grow that densley. Hollies tolerate even aggresive prunings very well. Cut that main trunk at an angle, a make it a nice clean cut. Late winter is the ideal time for this. Early spring is the next best option. It's also a good idea to feed them in the spring after a pruning or topping.

fordnut
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
No I don't know what type they are, but like you said they can really be used as a hedge. That is the shape they are now. thanks for the info. They are going to get a real haircut tommorrow.